deficiancy and malnutrition

BECKY3074
on 1/16/24 2:56 pm

hello i have a question.

i have had a lap band for 9 years and it has given me acid reflux. my dr wants to take out lapband and go a gastric bypass. iam a little nervous because i have heard of malnutriotion and deficancy issues . dr did say i could do a sleeve but i will still have acid issue and that bypass is better option.my only problem is i have hashimotos and very worried about vitamin deficiancy. i would appreciate any thoughts on this

hollykim
on 1/17/24 8:49 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 16, 2024 at 10:56 PM Pacific Time, BECKY3074 wrote:

hello i have a question.

i have had a lap band for 9 years and it has given me acid reflux. my dr wants to take out lapband and go a gastric bypass. iam a little nervous because i have heard of malnutriotion and deficancy issues . dr did say i could do a sleeve but i will still have acid issue and that bypass is better option.my only problem is i have hashimotos and very worried about vitamin deficiancy. i would appreciate any thoughts on this

vitamin deficiency after bypass is why we take vitamin supplements. If you take your vitamin supplements religiously and have your labs drawn to track where your deficiencies might be you will have no problem.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/17/24 9:32 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I had gastric bypass in 2012 and have had no issues at all with malnutrition or vitamin deficiencies. I take my supplements and have labs done every year. It's just not a problem at all, as long as you do your part.

I'd strongly recommend you don't try the sleeve. I've seen countless people do so, and the acid continues, or even gets worse. Then they end up revising, again, to RNY gastric bypass. You really don't want to end up with 3 surgeries.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Queen JB
on 1/17/24 1:19 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I revised from the Lapband to RNY 8 years ago, after I developed severe reflux and was no longer able to swallow anything (sometimes even water) without vomiting.

For me, the band was causing so many issues that I was certainly going to develop vitamin deficiencies because I was physically unable to eat healthily. RNY has given me the ability to eat a healthy diet again, and as others here said--that involves a commitment to taking vitamins.

If your doctors believe you can get what you need from vitamins and supplements based on your diagnosis, I would not worry about it.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Teresaely
on 2/15/24 9:18 pm
RNY on 03/22/24

I am getting ready to have a revision from sleeve to bypass. Curious what your vitamin regiment is. Ive read that some people have to go in for iron fusions once a month. Have you?

thanks!

wendygail
on 1/22/24 5:42 am - Live Oak, FL
The first few months you MIGHT have malnutrition and deficiency issues. That's why it is so important to see your WLS team often during the first year -18 months. The a couple times a year afterwards. As far as vitamin deficiency, that is why we rny'ers take vitamins daily.
 It's a great day to be alive.        
Most Active
Recent Topics