WLS Journey

Trisha
on 5/12/05 3:13 pm - Glendale, AZ
So, where are you on your WLS journey? Tell us a little bit about yourself. I'll start.... My name is Trisha, and I live in Arizona. I had a lap RNY on 3/8/05 - just a little over 2 months ago. I am now on regular foods, and am introducing food back slowly. I have not experienced dumping, and I even had a small slice of marie calendar's banana split pie on Mother's Day. On one hand it's good, I guess, but on the other hand I wanted a reaction so I wouldn't eat sugar. But I know our bodies do not absorb all the calories and stuff we eat. Still.... I have found that I have learned so much more about nutrition and such post-op through online and face-to-face support groups than I ever did pre-op - even with my thick nutrition binder. I still learn so much more each day. I'm down 56 lbs now, and I have about another 150 or so to go. Ey-yi-yi!! So, now it's your turn!! Hugs, Trisha -56 lbs
Karen B.
on 5/12/05 4:11 pm - Chino, CA
Hi Trisha, My name is Karen, and I live in Chino, CA. I had my lap RNY on 3/8/05 too!! We are "surgery sisters" . I am starting on regular food but I still must follow my protein and supplement program and continue to watch darn near everything that goes in my mouth. I have gone out to 2 restaurants and have been pretty good. No sugar or pasta for me. I am constantly learning about this bariatric adventure and have taken continuing education in this subject. It has been a fascinating journey!! It has been 9 weeks officially and I am down about 40 lbs. and have 60 lbs to go. YIPPPYYYY I hope to get tons of wonderful ideas from this message board and to meet some really neat people. A toast to all of us! Huggs, Karen
Trisha
on 5/14/05 3:35 pm - Glendale, AZ
Congrats on your success so far!! Yep, learning on this bariatric adventure can be challenging. Like what is fine one day is not fine the next. But I have learned SO much post-op through online and face-to-face support groups. I am really proactive in my health now. It's up to me to make it, ya know?! Keep up the good work!! Glad you are here! Hugs, Trisha -56 lbs
Oh, Donna
on 5/12/05 5:58 pm - North Bay Area, CA
Trisha, Be careful where you are when you try a sweet! I am 6 months out and I am an "occasional dumper"! I never know when it will hit me wrong! One day I was in the mall with my daughter and we were on a mission to find a particular item, not just browsing! I stopped and got an iced mocha from the coffee shop... OHMYGAWD, it hit me like a ton of bricks! I only had about a third of it and it was a small... I felt like I was going to PASS OUT. I even sat down and put my head down as far as it would go. Poor baby girl (she's 10) was so scared I won't take that chance again... not unless my DH is with me. Now what is weird is I have this SAME drink a few times a month... just never know when it will hit me. I have this happen with eating sweets also. I usually only take a bite or two if I have something sweet and I just never know when it will cause me to DUMP (my dump is like a diabetic would feel with low blood sugar... like I am going to pass out and I YAWN horribly!). BEWARE! Donna 6 months and minus 75 pounds! 255/180/135 ps thanks for the invite to the board
Trisha
on 5/14/05 3:36 pm - Glendale, AZ
OMG! How scary. Isn't it weird how somethings we are fine with one day and the next day we aren't? It's so confusing! Thanks for the warning!! I am very careful with my sugars. Hugs, Trisha -56 lbs
Jennifer U.
on 5/13/05 2:15 am - Rosemount, MN
Hello Everyone! My name is Jenn I live in Illinois, as you can see I am sure. I had lap RNY on 4/18/05 so I am a brand new newbie!!! I started myself of regular high protein foods b/c I couldn't do the puree stuff. The texture was making me gag...and you know what follows! So I chew pretty much till its just juicey and then let it go down. I have had some issues with some getting stuck b/c it wasn't chewed enough...so I watch it big time now. I tried a Frito and had a reaction to it....and had a small piece of a chocolate donut..and had no problems. I would much rather have issues w/sugar...but b/c I know it can come on at anytime...I stay clear away from them. I even make koolaid at home for me and my family (hubby, 2 girls and 1 boy) w/ splenda. Its a nice yummy break from water. This week its been bad for me...I am really hungry...maybe pms, who knows. But onto the subject at hand! I love to scrapbook and Stampin' is my passion. I am a Stampin' Up demo, so I am biased...but share lots of ideas. I think its a great idea to have a small scrapbook on my progress. I think I will start that this weekend...even though I HATE having pictures taken of myself. So what are your crafty passions? I love making cards! I scrapped for 10yrs and got tired of it and turned my attention to stampin...I was hooked after 1 party. THis is a great board! Thanks for reminding me about it! xoxoxojenn
Trisha
on 5/14/05 3:41 pm - Glendale, AZ
Soon you'll LOVE being photographed!! I'm a little over 2 months out now and I LOVE being photographed, and I was like you before surgery - didn't want me in pictures at all. I was disgusting, who was that obese blimp?? Ugh!! I don't look like that in real life - do I??? I only had pics taken of me from shoulders up and it was still horrid. LOL I still have 150 lbs to go or so, but it's fun comparing photos of me now to photos of me from earlier this year and last year. WOW! Congrats on your recent surgery!! How exciting!!! Yep, we got to chew our food really well. I've been doing good, but tonight at dinner didn't chew right and it came right back up - then I was fine. Chewing is an art form - practice, practice, practice!!! Making cards is my latest creativity outlet. I do that instead of eat it seems. Keeps my hands busy. And I'm not artistic at all. But with the right combinations and stamps and paper and such - wha-lah!! ART!! I love it!! I've been getting together with friends about every other month for a card making marathon!! Some people work on their scrapbook - whatever they like. We share supplies and such because you can use scrapbooking supplies for cards and stamping/sticker supplies for scrapbooks. I love it!! Hugs, Trisha -56 lbs
dixielee
on 5/13/05 3:52 am - Tripoli, IA
Hi Gals, I used to come here but the board was so dead I quit coming. Glad I stopped in & saw it was getting more lively. I am 17 months out. Down 162 lbs from the starting weight of 342#. The best thing I ever did for myself! The second best thing I did was a TT just 2 months ago. I now have a flat & super tight tummy, something I don't remember ever having. Next step--- my thighs, yech! I was super sensitive about my weight so decided not to make a scrapbook of my WLS but did of the TT. If you would like to see it you can check it out at http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=268223953203&page=1&sort_order=0 Warning, somepages are a bit graphic----bloody. In case you can't tell this is digital scrapbooking, something I have gotten into over the last couple years. I love the normal way of scrapbooking but really enjoy the fun of doing it on the computer. Dixie
Trisha
on 5/14/05 3:52 pm - Glendale, AZ
WOW!!! I LOVED your digital scrapbook!!!! I teared up at your mother's page and chuckled at the page where your surgeon is waving to the camera . Who took the pictures? That is awesome!! I wish I had pics taken DURING the WLS surgery and in the pre-op area. Oh well.. I did have some photos taken of me in the hospital room. Congrats on your success!! WOW! You lost over 150 lbs! WOW!! And then over 6 pounds through your TT and WOW, what a difference it made!! That is so cool!! I love the formating and embellishments on your scrap book. I never heard of a digital scrapbook. Those are too cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Hugs, Trisha -56 lbs
scmcdunn
on 5/13/05 9:29 am - Schaumburg, IL
Wow Trish, you're doing great. My name is Sue and I live in the Chicago area. I've finally got all my clearances into the surgeon and am now just waiting for a date. I thought I would get it right away but have to wait until Mon or Tue....I've been waiting so long! I'm very encouraged by your progress! Are you also a scrapbooker? I love to scrap, I get together with the girls about once a month. Keep up the good work! Sue McD
Most Active
Recent Topics
Scrapbooking in Houston/Galveston
AMYH-M · 2 replies · 811 views
What have you done lately?
Vickie J · 3 replies · 547 views
Hello
Miss Thang · 3 replies · 416 views
Hellooooooooooooooo Out There!
lv2beasahm · 3 replies · 397 views
Yahoo Scrapbook Group!
GigglyMarie · 1 replies · 844 views