Where do I start?

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/9/06 11:07 am
Hey everyone, I'm intersted in learning how to scuba dive. Can anyone tell me where to start? Do i need to get a license to do it? What kind of class do i need to take and how long do you need to train? etc etc. Any helpful information would be great. I live in orange county, NY about 1 1/2 hours from manhattan. I want to do this with one of my sons. BTW can you rent equipment? I just don't have the storage place of a lot of bulky equipment right now (live in a very small place) thanks everyone scott
quietbliss
on 6/15/06 8:05 am - Keller, TX
Scott- Getting certified is actually quite easy. Do a google search (or search the white/yellow pages) for a scuba shop in your area. They'll have classes scheduled and you can find one that fits in your schedule and your budget. Basic certification courses run anywhere from $200-$400 and up, here in Texas. Most shops require you to buy your basic gear: mask, fins, booties & snorkel. You can rent the BC (bouancy control vest), tanks, weights and regulator. Go for it! Scuba is AMAZING!
Mara
on 6/28/06 2:56 am - Kingsport, TN
Hi Scott, I agree with Tammy that the place to start is the yellow pages (either on line or the book) and get a list of the dive shops in your neighborhood. Once you have your list start calling them and ask what agency they certify under. The 3 biggies are PADI, SSI and NAUI. They all teach along the same guidelines. Ask how much - if they will tell you, but then go visit the shops. Don't do this based on price alone, you need to like and feel comfortable with the dive shop, the instructors and the staff. The more comfortable you are, the better off your experience will be. Then ask about any "personal" gear discounts for students - that would be mask, fins, snorkel, and booties (maybe a gear bag as well). You can rent all of your other gear and if you go on vacation you can usually rent there OR rent from home and bring it with you (there are pro's and con's to each). Also find out what other trips they do because if you certified in a lake or a quary and they don't do any trips on a regular basis you can move away from the sport and lost interest. Now that didn't happen to me - I was so enthralled that I worked my way up and became an instructor. It's also an amazing family experience. I certified my husband and step-kids and our vacations are always great. Well enjoy it and if you have any other questions please let me know - I LOVE talking about diving. Mara
Most Active
Recent Topics
Scuba Board
2sailaway · 1 replies · 407 views
new to the board
celestia96 · 1 replies · 345 views
4 days out of G Y Bypass
zlynnc · 0 replies · 320 views
snorkeling question
kristyb · 3 replies · 390 views
how is it with everyone
ownop · 1 replies · 341 views