Will increase in CPAP setting affect my surgery?

spectrumsister
on 11/8/10 12:22 pm - Buffalo, NY
Hey all,
I have about a month until my surgery and I am going to do a CPAP titration in a few weeks b/c I have been waking up drenched in sweat and having that lack-of-oxygen headache again, like before I had CPAP.  I have been SO TIRED lately but the CPAP company I use is backed up for titration units for a couple of weeks so I have been suffering :(    I think my symptoms mean my pressure is too low? 
Anyways, I am wondering, is there such thing as a case of Sleep Apnea that is so bad that they won't do surgery on that person? My current setting is 10cm but I suspect it needs to be increased and I wanna make sure I have the right setting before surgery, of course!  I know they like to have a person on CPAP for at least 2 months before surgery, but does that apply to specific settings as well? I know Sleep Apnea causes a rise in blood pressure if untreated, and I figure that's why they want people on CPAP machines before surgery (?).  My BP is still normal, always has been.

My (perhaps irrational) concern is that the surgeon will see my new setting and say "no more surgery for you" or change the date? 
Surgery Date: 12/13/2010 - Wish me luck!
Mishelle R.
on 11/15/10 12:53 pm
well, getting good sleep is also important for healing. they want you to be able to breathe while you heal. Being compliant on your machine is good - don't think that a change in pressure is going to make a difference for surgery. But it will after. If you see previous posts by me (Look on the left under my name) I posted what happened to me after surgery. I started having SEVERE dry mouth. They thought it was from me opening my mouth and I needed to start wearing a chin strap. NO what it was the pressure had gotten to strong - especially after loosing the first 50 lbs that I had to go from a 12 to a 7 about a month and a half after surgery.
didim62
on 2/14/11 12:48 am - Kensington, CT
I am waiting for approval but just had my pressure increased from 13 to 15 because I had gained weight since last time I had the sleep study. I doubt that it will have any influence on your surgery except that it will be better for you. Hopefully like Michelle just posted we can then lower or eliminate the cpap from our lives after weightloss. Good luck!
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
Most Active