Hi!

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/15 1:11 pm, edited 2/7/15 1:16 pm

I am having the sleeve on April 1, I went to the appointment with the pulmonologist yesterday and I asked him if I was supposed to keep using the CPAP for my sleep apnea after surgery and he said yesss. But im concerned because im reading some posts of people who had surgery recently and they wrote that the gas is killing them. I will insist and ask my surgeun about it though.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/15 1:20 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

If you aren't waking up bloated from air swallowing now, it's unlikely you will after surgery either. But if you are, talk to the doc who ordered your CPAP about seeing if the pressure can be decreased (or the max pressure if you're on an autoset machine). There might be a lower pressure that can still fairly adequately control your apnea without risking bloating and putting pressure on a fresh staple line. It is definitely essential to use your CPAP after surgery though -- you will be on sedating painkillers, which limit your body's ability to wake up and take "recovery breaths" when you stop breathing at night, meaning your oxygen levels can go lower before you wake up to start breathing again if you're not using your CPAP to keep your airway open. Good luck with your surgery! Depending on how severe your OSA is, there's a good chance you might eventually not need your CPAP anymore after significant weight loss.

charminglearner
on 3/2/15 1:21 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

When I was still in the hospital after my surgery my CPAP machine alone could not keep my blood oxygen level up in the 90% + range.  They upped the oxygen being pumped in through a nifty little add on to my tube.  By the morning I had ditched the CPAP machine and was just using the oxygen tube with the attachment that goes under the nose.  That worked really well.  

About a year or two before the surgery I woke up to a bloated stomach, once, so the pressure was turned down.  It was never an issue again.

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/15 7:35 am

Thanks so much for your responses.

dadoftwins08
on 3/11/15 9:45 pm - slatersville, RI

sleep apnia isn't just about  your weight sometimes. in my case i will have to use my cpap machine even after weight loss.

due to the fact my doctor informed me my apnia is genetic related. i was informed  the human tongue  coinside to the size of ones upper jaw. where my lower jaw is so much smaller it means when my tongue retracts back when i sleep it covers my airway and will forever. the most i cna hope for is a reduction in the air pressure being pushed thru being reduced from its current state of 14 psi. as your weight comes down you should  do several sleep studies to see if your pressure needs to be adjusted. before you opt out of using your machine.

Most Active