X-Post:: Bedside nurses or anyone who lifts at work...

SleeveDivaNoire '11
on 3/22/11 9:48 pm
How long before you returned to work?  I will be going back next week at a month post-op.  I am concerned this may be too soon; I don't want to disrupt any stitches inside even though I am mostly healed outside.  We cannot return to work with any restricted/light duties.

If anyone went back at this time, how did you feel?  Any pain at work?  Should I wait til 6 wks to return?  I feel fine at home; of course, that is definitely nothing like work.

Just wanted other opinions.  Thanks. 

Khem
AKA NotBaby_Fat
Ht 5'6"/HBMI: 50.8 /CBMI: 37.1
HW 315/SW 299.9/CW 230/GW 160

PBJ
on 3/22/11 10:12 pm
I am also a nurse.  I took 3 weeks off of work and I did fine going back.  You just need to be really careful and no lifting.  (I had no restrictions to go back).  IF your work is way too hard physically..then talk to your doc.  Good luck,

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
SleeveDivaNoire '11
on 3/22/11 10:41 pm
No extreme physical work.  I think more in terms of short-staffing and HAVING to lift too much, too soon.  I am ready to go back to work (I've rested enough); but, I am a bit apprehensive about it.

BTW, did you go back 40-48 hrs/wk initially? 
AKA NotBaby_Fat

HollyLaLa
on 3/22/11 11:09 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/11 with
 I am a nurse.  I work in a procedural area and I wear lead most of the day -standing and scrubbed in.  We also do all of our transporting of our patients occasionally by wheelchair but usually by stretcher.  You use a lot of abdominal muscles to push and steer a stretcher with an adult on it.  I also carry life pack defibrillators (~25 lbs) back from the pacu which is a good walk.  My doc put me out for 6 weeks.  I took 8 eight weeks (extra two from FMLA) Your job is by law secure for 12.  You do not want to risk a hernia.  You need to take care of yourself for a change!  My employer has no such designation as light duty.  Its all or nothing.  Will you be able to lift and support a patient getting in and out of bed without hurting you or them?
 Think about it when you have a baby and you have a c-section you get 8 weeks disability, you just had 85% of your stomach removed!  Hello, big surgery and I dont care if it is laproscopic you still have to heal internally and adjust to a new way of eating.
The hospital will still be there and not implode if you are not back after 4 weeks.  I had origionally told my boss that I thought that I would need 4 weeks, then the more that I researched it (such as you are doing) I told them that my doc says 6 weeks at least!  My boss said then take 8 and use FMLA if you need to.  So that is what I am doing.  Don't get me wrong I love my job and the people I work with rock so I miss them even more, but in 6 weeks when I come back it will seem like I never left. Besides I cant wait to see the look on their faces after 8 weeks of weightloss!! 
Good luck with your decision and Happy weight loss!   

Nothing worth having comes easy.  Success comes with hard work and determination and sacrifice!   

ROCK ON!             
SleeveDivaNoire '11
on 3/22/11 11:34 pm
My doc told me if I needed 6 wks he was okay with that.  The employee health nurse said, "Most people come back after a month.  Why can't you?"  So, I want to try to go back, but not risk injuring myself.  I took 6 wks off when I had a c-section, but that was 16 years ago.  I'm not decided just yet.
AKA NotBaby_Fat

HollyLaLa
on 3/23/11 2:01 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/11 with
 Well if your doc said 6 weeks I would take it!  Remind your employee health nurse that she or he is not a doctor and it is none of her business why you need 6 weeks instead of 4.  Legally she can't even ask you why.  That's a HIPPA violation!  Take as much time as you can.   You have rights.  And you have the right to recover from your surgery.

Nothing worth having comes easy.  Success comes with hard work and determination and sacrifice!   

ROCK ON!             
Danielle K.
on 3/23/11 3:06 am - Evart, MI
 I am going back after 2.5 weeks.  But I won't hesitate to take longer if I don't feel up to par next Friday.  As of today I can't imagine going back for 12 hours.
JustLora
on 3/23/11 3:38 am - Omaha, NE
I am also a nurse and I took only 2 weeks off. The hard part for me was to make sure I ate.

Good Luck!
Lora

SW 235/GW 150/CW 140   I'm 5'6" 

SleeveDivaNoire '11
on 3/23/11 5:02 am
I have been trying to get on a schedule that will be okay for when I go back to work.  It is gonna be difficult esp since I have trouble remembering at home.  I think I will keep shakes at work, just in case.
AKA NotBaby_Fat

gonersmom
on 3/23/11 4:00 am
I am a CNA in homecare. My doctor expects me to take 6 weeks minimum off. I'm at the 3 week mark as of today and I'm glad I've still got a bit of time off, I'm still taking a long nap every afternoon.

My house is starting to actually look clean again! LOL I think I could enjoy retired life someday if I can ever afford it.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views