VERY SCARED

Eula "Evie" R.
on 3/26/11 12:17 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi all,
I read on here yesterday that a lady that has the same surgeon that I have, cut in to her bowels and she almost died, when she had her sleeve. I have not said anything to my family about this at all. This surgeon is to be one of the best surgeons. I have checked with other Dr's about my surgeon, they talk very highly of them all  , one of my Dr's said if he would of have to have surgery, it would be my surgeron. I am so very scared, what if this would happen to me..God Bless every one.
Evie                                                                                             
suthernqueen
on 3/26/11 12:26 am
I believe we all going into this knowing complications might occur. But just pray and ask God to remove your fear.

Before my surgery I prayed for my doctor and that God guide his hands and that all will be well.

I know it's easier said than done but keep in prayer and ask for peace and HE will give it to you.
4theloveofhorsz
on 3/26/11 12:27 am - Austin, TX
well, if your surgeon has good references and even other doctors recommend him, I'd say don't worry about it. First off, everybody can make a mistake, even the best, so good news for you is that if he truly did just make a mistake, then the odds of another one are in your favor... :)
Plus who knows what the cir****tances are? maybe that lady had a very big liver that made it hard for him to see? Maybe something random happened like an instrument slipped in the fatty/slippery hands?? who knows...
Don't dwell on it and forget about it. Just be sure to do your homework and check the doctor out, but it sounds like your surgeon has a good rep, so think positive and don't focus on the what ifs...
Hope this helps!

novascotiadawn
on 3/26/11 12:29 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey Evie!

We can't live thinking about the "what if"...It will lead you to bonkers! I did a lot  of that before my last surgery and it got me no where! Maybe a few more grey hairs. You know, if something happens, it happens.We deal with it and our body heals. It really is diappointing you heard this about you surgeon, but, mistakes happen. I'm wondering, were all guidlines followed pre-surgery. Was the bowel full and not empty. Was it inflammed and swollen. We will never know. You will do fine sweets. Take care of yourself and you will be fine!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

vjb1952
on 3/26/11 1:07 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
Hi Sweetie...Since I tend to be an optimist, I would say that are inherent dangers about surgery in general, BUT the odds are in your favor. If your surgeon has done 100 surgeries with 1 almost-deadly mistake, then he did 99 that were fine, giving him 99% success rate.  Everyone can make a mistake, and he made one, so I am inclined to think he got his out of the way already, so think it will be a long time before he does that again.  A doctor's practice &  livelihood are dependent on his reputation, so that is huge motivation for minimal errors on his part.  

That said, I can also understand your apprehension because you have grounds to "what if..." yourself if you choose.  I agree with the responses that said give your fear to God (as you know Him) and ask Him to ease your fear. Remember that He gave your surgeon the gift of healing, as evidenced by his success and reputation among his peers.  The seeds of knowledge regarding surgery to help heal our human frailties was planted by Him for those who among us that need to reap and use.

Don't mean to sound like a sermon because that is not my style, but your situation could be cause for each of us to re-evaluate our faith, if needed, and give thanks for the great things this time and life has to offer.  (and don't forget your Angels are with you too...)

God bless you,  Viv 

vjb1952

Gin2bthin
on 3/26/11 1:41 am - WV
Evie dont get scared..My common bile duct was cut while my gallbladder was being removed it had nothing to do wth my sleeve...My sleeve turned out wonderfully.These things happen.Im sure you will do fine.

SugarGrl
on 3/26/11 2:07 am
Evie, talk to your surgeon.  I told mine EVERYTHING.  I had a very close friend die of surgery because she didn't go to a bariatric surgeon for her wls.  I told my doc about all my crazy thoughts and he made everything great for me.  If you are scared, please tell him and your nurses and the entire staff, I did.  I know you will be fine.   You are in my prayers!  {{{hugs}}}

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Eula "Evie" R.
on 3/26/11 2:13 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Thank You all for your caring and talking to me about this. God Bless you all.

Evie
Hollyhock
on 3/26/11 3:29 am - VA
Evie,

I would be rattled, too. I would talk to him directly about what you heard here. Give him a chance to tell you what really happened, and what he'd do differently in the future (if anything). Any surgeon who's any good will use this as a learning experience and be extra cautious from then on. And a good surgeon won't mind you asking. If you get static or the runaround when you ask, then I'd see a red flag.

Let us know how it goes!
Hollyhock
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
Hislady
on 3/26/11 12:19 pm - Vancouver, WA
Not to worry darlin' you have the ultimate physician on your side. God can fix anything man can screw up. This too will pass, hang in there!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views