Wanna know one of my Secrets to losing 190lbs. !!!

Drea408
on 3/28/11 2:23 pm - CA
Love the idea of a series, us newbies look up to you guys!
novascotiadawn
on 3/28/11 2:35 pm, edited 3/29/11 3:38 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey Frisco!

I agree with you!

In almost  three years I have measure by weight maybe 10 times and those times I have it was too much food to eat. I go by eyeballing it. When I stop usually I don't feel full, but, I get this feeling my brain is saying you're nourished,push the plate away.

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

NewDawn50
on 3/28/11 3:05 pm
These posts about how you all have lost so much weight are great!

Frisco, you mentioned this method about eating under your sleeve capacity not long ago, and I've been taking that advice ever since.  Because we can eat so little, especially this early out, I thought eating to capacity was necessary to nourish myself.  Well, guess what?  I had had a number of occasions where my stomach would hurt a bit after I ate, and I chalked it up to eating too fast, even though I knew I was chewing well and a meal would take me 20 minutes for a tiny portion.  But since I began following this rule, I have not had one episode of pain or feeling full to my throat.

I always want to keep this restriction, so this is the most useful piece of advice I've read here to date.  Thank you so much.

As far as portion, my mother was an "eyeball" cook, who never measured.  She taught me to cook early on, and I am an excellent sight cook as well.  So I was surprised to see when, just for the hell of it, I measured a portion of tuna that I was taking to work and was not close to being correct.  I like  Sublimate's bowl idea, and have those kinds of bowls in my kitchen, so, wounded pride notwithstanding, I will use them, at least until I can tell the portion sizes of the things I eat the most of.

I would love to read more of these stories!

sublimate
on 3/28/11 4:53 pm, edited 3/28/11 4:58 pm - San Jose, CA

Here's a link to the bowls I use (it's the small black one, not the whole set). You can buy the small ones individually and they are exactly 1/2 cup each. So if you fill it half full you know you have 1/4 cup too, and the way the bowl is shaped it's easy to tell the halfway point. They sell these at Target in different colors too:

http://www.target.com/Melamine-12-pc-Dinnerware-Set-Black/dp /B000OW10SU/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

However you don't have to use this exact type.  Just get small bowls like those used for sauces and condiments, and then using water pour from a measuring cup into them to see how much water it takes to fill them up.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Jenn H.
on 3/28/11 5:28 pm - Portland, OR
Thanks for the heads up!  So far I've got little dessert, sauce and appetizer bowls, spoons and forks.  Ramekins have come in handy for soups the past few days. http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4052934

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

wert
on 3/29/11 7:05 am - MN
I just bought 4 "condiment" cups from Wal-Mart. They hold about 3 oz. if you fill them to the top. I don't fill them that full because I can't eat that much yet.

As of this very moment I'm adopting Frisco's method of eating under me sleeve. Perfect. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Jenn H.
on 3/28/11 5:24 pm - Portland, OR

Thank you!

I wonder though if taller people have larger/longer stomachs?  I had a 32.

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

jimbovsg
on 3/28/11 6:10 pm
On March 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM Pacific Time, Jenn H. wrote:

Thank you!

I wonder though if taller people have larger/longer stomachs?  I had a 32.

I used to think that if you're taller you must have a longer stomach? (I'm 6'2")  not sure I'm on board with it now there are other factors to consider.  I cannot eat  much more than some people that are a foot shorter than me! same bougie same surgeon?

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/11 1:06 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for this, Frisco. It's exactly what I needed to read today. I'm two weeks from being six months out and a good dump away from being 100 pounds down, and I'm noticing subtle changes in my thought process that I'm having to watch like a hawk. My honeymoon's not over yet, but I'm getting that end-of-the-vacation, back-to-work feeling. The need for diligence is kicking in, and I get it that now is the time for me to make sure I contiunue to undereat my sleeve's capacity.
Carmelita
on 3/29/11 1:26 am - Four Corners, NM
- You will not stretch your sleeve (people say you can't stretch your sleeve "Bull****") Your going to want that restriction when you get to maintenance. This is more important to all of you that have 36f and larger. The larger the sleeve..... the more stretchy tissue is retained.

Ut oh....bougie size wars

Can you show me ANYWHERE...old OH posts, um the net, um  anywhere...that shows what yer postin ain't "BULL****"
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views