"Slider Foods" ????

Elena22
on 4/5/11 12:44 am
I've read on this board a few times abou****ching out for "slider foods", exactly what constitutes a slider food for a VSG er?  Thanks.
~ Elena.

Valsdetermined2lose
on 4/5/11 12:47 am
basiclly anything that you can munch on and goes down well but not all the times good for you.
 HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

felicity2u
on 4/5/11 12:49 am - LA
A slider food is usually a food that you can eat alot of and not get a full feeling from eating them.  Unfortunately, it is usually something fattening like cookies, chips, candy, ect.  It can be different for everyone! I have not really cheated yet as I am only a little over a month out and haven't yet found out what mind are and am afraid to find out! LOL!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

emelar
on 4/5/11 12:54 am - TX
Dense protein is not a slider.  It takes a long time for your stomach to break down and will stay in your stomach for a long time, making you feel full longer.

Most carbs, whether you consider them "good" or "bad", are sliders.  They're easily digested so they move through your stomach faster - and then you feel hungry again.

That's why everyone's diet program stresses dense proteins first when you eat.  The protein will form a plug at the bottom of your stomach and slow down the digestion of your veggies, fruits and other foods.  That's also why you have the "no drinking before, during, after meals" rule.  Liquids will push the protein through you stomach faster and leave you feeling hungry sooner.
vjb1952
on 4/5/11 1:21 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
emelar, Thanks for such a clear, understandable explanation of digestion and why the protein goes down first. I had wondered but couldn't phrase the question.  viv

vjb1952

emelar
on 4/5/11 1:36 am - TX
You're welcome!
vjb1952
on 4/5/11 1:22 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
Thanks for bringing up the subject.  I had never heard the term "slider food", so learned something this morning!  Take care,  Viv 

vjb1952

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 1:23 am, edited 4/5/11 1:38 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Speaking for myself everything that *IS NOT* a dense protein leaves my stomach so much quicker than protein alone. Even protein WITH other things doesnt stay in my tum long and leaves me hungry quicker than just protein alone.

I figure, its not good, or bad, its just the way it works for me!
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 1:31 am
This is a great question.  I find that everything but solid protein and fibrous veggies such as celery are slider foods.  Even putting sauce on dense protein can make it into a slider food because you are lubricating the food so it "slides" easier.  In other words you can eat more of these foods.  In the long run, such as during maintenance this can become a bigger deal as you can eat more and eat more often when you eat slider foods.  This is why my doctor strongly recommends that we eat mostly solid protein and veggies such as broccoli first.  He also recommends that we not peel our veggies for the same reason.  He will tell us that in maintenance, even a baked potato once in a while is fine as long as we eat the skin.
Katester
on 4/5/11 1:44 am
everyone told you the defination of a slider food...examples?? For me--popcorn, cookies, donuts (no problem for me to eat 7 or 8 little gem frosted Hostess donuts and feel like dying for 3 hours afterwards), cake, ice cream (thats another thing I can eat and not get full but feel AWFUL for a long time after), tacos-I do get full on them but I am hungry within 30 minutes so I consider that a slider and stay away), mashed potatoes and tuna salad is a slider for me too.. I stil eat it becuse it's a healthy choice.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views