Medic Alert ID ??

Donnie4strings
on 4/7/11 10:34 pm - MI
Hi All,

I was advised at surgery time to get a medic alert dogtag or bracelet to advise emergency personnel of my sleeve.  Something about not being able to have a NG tube or to be "scoped" or stomach pumped.  I have not ordered one yet, but last week, I attended a seminar with someone, and the facilitator said one advantage to the sleeve was that you could continue to have an endoscopy if needed (not an option for RNY or Band patients I guess)

So my question is what have any of you heard, or done regarding medicalert identification?  What does yours say? Or is it really even an issue?  Comments appreciated and thanks in advance

Donnie

VeraG
on 4/7/11 10:37 pm, edited 4/7/11 10:37 pm - Bonner Springs, KS

The problem is a blind NG. They could poke a hole in the smaller stomach if they don't know it's small.   Which they would do if you were in an accident and were unconscious.  I have an anklet, but I don't wear it unless I'm traveling. 

Living until I die!

Linda B.
on 4/7/11 10:48 pm - CA
Wow! I didn't even consider this. What a great idea. I am going to Europe on a cruise next month. Where did you get that medic alert bracelet Vera? I think it's a good idea when traveling for sure.
Linda B

Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/11 12:12 am
Just google "Medicalert" they are based in Turlock, Ca and they not only have all kinds of alert jewlery for you but they keep your medical info on file and it can be accessed by any physician or hospital any where in the world. 
Jenijeni
on 4/7/11 11:14 pm
I have a USB med card that I carry in my wallet with all my medical info.

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

VeraG
on 4/8/11 1:01 am - Bonner Springs, KS
I got mine from a local pharmacy and had it engraved with VSG and the date of surgery.  And they are a lot cheaper than online.  However, they do have ones I've seen at Walgreens that is a usb port and you can download your medical information on it and it is water proof.  Really cool if you don't mind a braclet. 

Living until I die!

Linda B.
on 4/8/11 1:11 am - CA
I have a friend who makes jewelry and I am gonna have her make an anklet so I have a nice piece of jewelry. I am not that far from Turlock. I will check it out online.
THANKS!
Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

Elaine2
on 4/8/11 1:17 am - Atlanta, GA
Check out a company called roadid.com  You can have contact info and meds on it.

I purchased these for my elderly parent to wear to the gym and while they're walking the beach in FL. Gave one to other relatives who are runners and even got one for myself that I wear in the pool (makes me feel like an athlete).       I've had mine for awhile due to other meds.

Not jewelry looking but they do the trick when you're out and about.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views