SURGERY SOON

Eula "Evie" R.
on 4/13/11 3:07 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi All,

It is me again. I would like to know what to expect after surgery. My daughter is bugging me again and I am really try to keep my cool with her.

She was telling me about this ladies that she read about that had her sleeve for a year now, She can not eat , very weak, sick all the time at her stomach, acid Reflux, hair very thin, eat 200 cal a day first 2 weeks, then 600 cal, this lady followed Dr. orders to a Tee, can eat about 4 or 5 bits at a time, can not eat sugar or french fries, milk shakes. She said this lady was super skinny, every thing checks out find with the lady and Dr. My daughter said she did not want to see me eat so little or be that skinny. My daughter did say the lady was happy that she lost weight but everything else felt bad and very tired. would never go above 1000 to 1200 cals a day'.

I know I have read on here that some of you all feel great after surgery. Does anyone get more than 1,000 -1,200 a day. I would be grealy thankful to sopme feed back'
God Bless
Evie

BJUpNorth
on 4/13/11 3:51 am, edited 4/13/11 3:53 am - MN
Hi Evie,
I had my surgery just over a week ago. So far, I feel like I am doing pretty good. I can usually get in about 50 - 60 grams of protein in a day and about 60 oz. of water. I was told to try to get in around 600 calories at first. We have to be very gentle with our new tummies, because of the long staple line. I have also been walking bewteen a 1/2 mile and a mile everyday since I got out of the hospital.
My first post-op appointment was today and my surgeon and nut said I was doing fantastic.
Everyone is different. Some people do have nausea and a hard time getting stuff down, but they should have meds for the nausea. All you can do is your best and keep a positive attitude.
I am sure your daughter is worried about you, but you may need to tell her you ONLY want her to talk positive. I know this has been an issue with you all, but try to put your foot down. What you really need at this point is positive support and love. Your decision is already made and being negative is only hurting your relationship.
Please remember, this is only my opinion. I also have 2 grown daughters and I know of sorts where you are coming from. Luckily, my whole family has been very supportive and that is what we all want and need.

Best Wishes,
Brenda

Eula "Evie" R.
on 4/13/11 4:13 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi Brenda,
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I am so happy you are doing great, makes me feel better just to hear that.  Then it is ok to walk after surgery, that fair? You really sound like a go getter. How do u get your protien in?
God Bless your heart.
Evie

hollykim
on 4/13/11 5:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
At 14 months out I ear anywhere from 900-1200 a day. I have had no trouble with any food or liquid from the very beginning.

There are people who have had hard times post op just like there are people who have had no trouble.

Somehow,everyone who is against WLS,like your daughter,"knows" someone who has had a hard time. Isn't it funny that they don't "know' anyone who has had a grwat experience?  We get all the horror stories but none of the success stories.

You just need to stay focused and maybe,not talk to this daughter between now and next Wed. You have waited a long time for this and it is what you knowe you need.

Try not to let anyone scare you. You will be fine and are in for the best ride of your lif!

Good luck!
Holly

Jasonm11
on 4/13/11 5:32 am
Not to play down someone elses story but I could literally count 100 people I heard about that had these horror stories, yet I could never actually find someone who did. Most came from my mother in law. So and so knows this person who did this etc. I eventually came to believe about 1% of it as just that 1% that has complications. As for me, lifes been great. I actually finally wrote a new blog entry if you wanna check it out...as for how much I eat, it is a verysmall amount....I get about 400 calories on a good day. Yet I feel absolutly amazing. Energy level is very high, I eat on average about 15 carbs a day but thats because my surgeons plan isn't one of those no carb plans. It felt almost as if they were saying that if you eat what your plan calls for, there is no need to track them. I believe that is true because if I eat what I 'need' there is no way I could get many more carbs than that. Check out my blog and if you have any questions feel free to ask. God Bless!
wanttobehalfofme
on 4/13/11 7:47 am - MI
I struggle everyday to get in 60-80 grams of protein along with my liquids but that is because of my fussy tummy and I am almost three months out.. As for tiredness take your vitamins and a vit b12. That's what my dr. required. Exercise is a must starting out but it's just slow walking. I was out feeding the horses grain on day 3 and went to the grocery store on day 5. As soon as I got home hospital I hopped on the treadmill for a slow walk for 5 min a couple times a day. As for my hair yeah my is dry but use a good moisturizer conditioner. At three months I do anything for exercise. Just be gentle with yourself the first week. The mantra sip sip sip walk walk sip etc. You will do fine. Keep the toxic people away from you until wed. When people started with their  negative BS I told them I would do just fine with the surgery.
Hislady
on 4/13/11 10:29 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I don't have the sleeve but it sounds like this "other" lady isn't eating enough. If she is a year out she should have lost the majority of her weight and be eating more than 600 calories a day. Once a person gets to a manitenance level they need to increase their caloroies so they can maintain the weight loss but not lose anymore weight. I'm sure she is just worried for you but you have God on your side so nuthin' to worry about! She needs to learn to trust God not what she read.
MediumSoon
on 4/13/11 10:59 am - TX
I CAN eat whatever I want - and I average about 1100 calories/day. Don't worry. You will be able to get in calories eventually. Not in the first few weeks/months, but when you want to, you will be able to.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 383 views