Help in moving the scale during a stall

johnbertak
on 4/17/11 12:15 pm - MD
Okay, kids, Pop-Pop's here with advice on how to get that sum*****in' scale moving again when you hit a "stall" or plateau.  Remember, I am not a doctor, so these are not medically approved.  But they have helped me lose 115 lbs. in less than 5 mos.

Some things you can try:
1. Laxatives (given the rock-hard nature of post VSG'ers, this one may already be in play)
2. Shower with a really sturdy "louffa" - use it ALL OVER YER BODY
3. Clip your nails - hands and feet
4. Clean your naval
5. Clean your ears
6. Vigorously brush your hair (this becomes less doable at about 4/5 mos. post-op as you begin searching for the place where your part used to be.)
7. Floss
8. Exhale deeply when you get on the scale (remember, Oxygen has weight)

OR - you can to not to worry about it knowing that you are following the nutrition and exercise program that goes with the VSG.  According to my surgeon, WLS "puts you on a staircase for rapid weight loss, not an elevator and not an escalator.  You will sometimes lose faster and you will sometimes stay on one step longer than another, for no apparent reason."
My dietitian tells us to call her if we have not lost weight for 3 consecutive weeks - she says she very rarely gets calls from patients who have stalled for that long.

The few times I have stalled, I've checked my records to see that I'm doing the program and tried to work just a bit harded for the next few days - seems to work for me.  I officially weigh in once per week.  Any other ideas for breaking the stalls?
Pop-Pop

MediumSoon
on 4/17/11 12:21 pm, edited 4/17/11 12:23 pm - TX
http://www.everydayhealth.com/have-a-weight-loss-plateau-let-me-help.aspx

This is Jillian Michaels' advice.  But I LOVE your ideas - and they are much simpler to execute!!

lucy2e
on 4/17/11 12:31 pm - Laurel, MD
LMAO!  Love the advise - I'll keep it in mind after surgery!  Thanks from a fellow Marylander!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views