I need you say in this matter.

Eula "Evie" R.
on 4/18/11 6:30 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi All.
I have not told any of my familey except 2 daughter's and husband,

I was debateing to tell my Mom or not about my WLS. Mom worries her self sick over us kids. Mom has mini strokes  if she is stressed. The Dr. told us to try not to stress her. Mom is in her upper 80's. What do you think I, should I tell Mom or not. I would want to know if it was my daughter. Mom gets all excited and she thinks someone is kicking there last heal. I don't  want to worry her or have her come to the hospital about 2 hrs away and it is hard for her to get around. I  have just been telling people I have pulps in my stomach and a high herina, which is true.
God Bless you all
Evie

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 6:33 am

Under the cir****tances I would not tell her. 
LittleMissSunshine
on 4/18/11 6:49 am
I wouldn't tell her either. 

My grandmother was 85 when my uncle was diagnosed with cancer, her doctor told the kids (my mom and her other 2 brothers) not to tell her... it would be too much.  They didn't and for 3 years they managed to keep it under wraps... she passed at 88 years old.  Sadly, my uncle joined her 2 years later.

If her doctor has said to keep her from being stressed, worrying about her daughter going in for surgery would go against that, so I wouldn't say anything.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Samantha L.
on 4/18/11 6:55 am
you can always tell her after you're all healed up and the risk for complications is pretty much gone. i think that is about 2 months out.
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 7:01 am - Germantown, MD
 I wouldn't tell her until later. Like above, wait until your chances of complications are pretty much gone and you're healed up. If you think this would stress her out even a little bit, wait to tell her.
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 7:08 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
I would delay until you are healed and better.  I did the same with my parents and in-laws due to their bad health, then told them after I was thru it and feeling better.  I didn't want to cause any worry or stress.  My husband and kids, and a very few close friends knew and that was enough to get me thru.  Good luck with your decision :-) 
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 4/18/11 7:10 am - New Orleans
Yeah, don't stress her out.  I'm not even sure I'd tell her after the fact.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

jbskaggs
on 4/18/11 7:42 am - holt, MO
 I agree- unless she flat out asks you point blank.  Then don't lie. Otherwise just dont say anything.

Hislady
on 4/18/11 8:27 am - Vancouver, WA
I agree with the others, there's no reason to upset her if she is likely to get upset about it. Tell her later after you are all healed and healthier. Good luck to you!
BriarRose
on 4/18/11 8:27 am
My dad is 85. In really good health, and very much in tune with everything. Still drives (and well!) has a lovely lady friend, goes places, is active.

I waited until 2 weeks before to tell him. He didn't really get it, he had heard of the lap-band, and since I said it was laproscopic, he figured that was it. I told him it was an easy peasy surgery. No need for him to worry longer than that. He came to the hospital, sat and held my hand the day after surgery - the way I have done with him through a couple heart attacks a few years back.

However, if his doctor had told me not to stress him, I would have waited until 2 weeks post op. And told him that it was just a simple thing, and was not worth worrying him about.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views