Waiting to live.....

nuyvon79
on 4/20/11 2:46 am
Hello all. I'm new to the boards after lurking for some time. My currenty status is waiting for a surgery date for vsg. This has been a long process but I am done with everything. I had my consults with the surgeon and psychiatrist on April 11th. They said it will be 3 weeks before I hear anything about my surgery date so I'm just waiting.  I am with kaiser in southern california and I started this process in December of 2009. I'm not impatient and I'm settled with wating. I've come this far and all I have to do is live my life and time will take care of its self and before I know it will be the morning of my surgery. My issue is this...since I decided on wls, I've fallen into this trap of "waiting to live my life". What I mean is, I want to buy clothes " but not  untill after wls". Me and my boyfriend want to take a cruise but "not until after wls" and so on and so forth. I feel like I am holding myself back from living because I want to wait until I lose weight to really enjoy things. The closer to the end of the process the worse it gets. We used to go out all the time, but now I just stay in on the weekends, because I don't feel like I have anything to wear and because I am so looking forward to the new me after weight loss. Did anyone else have this problem? Life is really too short and even though I am looking forward to the new me, I still love me...period.

SW: 281 CW: 202
Only got one shot to do this thing called life, and I'm gonna make it a winner     
KrisJ77
on 4/20/11 2:49 am - TX
I know it will all work out for you!! You need to start living NOW!!  Hugs!!  Kris

didim62
on 4/20/11 2:56 am - Kensington, CT
I can so relate!!! My message board used to say "waiting for the VSG so I can start to live my life" and I felt exactly the same and did the exact same thing till I realized that once the surgery is over there would have to be much more waiting for me to be exactly where I want to be and I was not willing to wait any longer. Get out and enjoy yourself!! Maybe buy a few basic things you can work with what you have but know that life is RIGHT NOW and it only gets better in time!! Good luck with your surgery.
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
nuyvon79
on 4/20/11 3:15 am
didim62 you are so right. I will still have to wait more even after the surgery so I might as well enjoy every moment I have now. Thanks for the advice.

mirandainmn
on 4/20/11 3:00 am - MN
Yes yes and yes! I'm having surgery on May 12, and for the past several months I haven't done much of anything because I want to wait until after surgery.  Some things make sense putting of; buying new clothes, getting a new job, etc.  Other things I think I've just put off because I think they'll be better/more comfortable when I weigh less; certain exercise classes, traveling, etc. I don't see this as a bad thing.  I'm working on loving myself and my current appearance, but there are things that I just think will be better when I'm more comfortable in my own skin.
thisbe777
on 4/20/11 3:01 am
go buy yourself a new outfit, go out with your boyfriend --- have some fun!!!

life is now. 

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

nuyvon79
on 4/20/11 3:24 am

"Life is Now!" I like that thisbe777. I think I will go find a nice top and go out this weekend. Thanks!

monprimag
on 4/20/11 3:05 am
I totally understand where you're coming from! About a week ago I also posted something very similar to what you're saying. I feel like my life won't start until AFTER my surgery. Right now I feel like a hermit and can count on one hand how often I leave my place in a week. I'm so ready to get started with my new life. So excited for you and I hope your insurance process goes smoothly!
nuyvon79
on 4/20/11 3:21 am, edited 4/20/11 3:24 am

That is how I been lately, pretty much a hermit, just home and work. And the closer I get to the end the more I become that way. I am excited about my new life after surgery, but I don't want to waste and rush my life away so I am trying to do better about it. Good luck on your process to0. This is really an exciting time so lets just take it all in

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 4:08 am
Welcome to the boards. You have been going through this process for a good while. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you. As cliche as it is, tomorrow is not promised...so don't delay your living..do it now. You could start being a little more active now, which may assist you in your recovery! I know it's tough and I definitely have my moments when I say to myself, "I can't wait until..." Truth of the matter is, we have to live each day..each moment to the fullest. Life is too precious and unpredictable to take any moment for granted. Be well! Best wishes to you as approach your answer!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views