I'm a Food Addict!

Nancy R.
on 4/20/11 10:01 am - Edgewood, MD
I wish I had accepted that I was addicted to food before I had the Sleeve.  Now almost 3 years out I have started to gain weight and my addiction is in full swing again.  I have realized this from watching the show on OWN its me I can have 10 operations but nothing will ever change unless I treat my addiction.  Maybe not all weight surgery patiences have the addiction so it works for them but not for me.  My mind is controlling me and I have relapsed and feel like a huge (literally)failure.  Does anyone understand what I'm talking about?
ANA B.
on 4/20/11 10:05 am - ALTOONA, PA
OMG, YES. I HAVE POSTED THAT MY HEAD DID NOT GET THE MEMO THAT WE WERE SLEEVED. IT IS AN ISSUE WE HAVE TO GET A HANDLE ON, WITH OR WITHOUT OUR SLEEVE. HEAD AND SLEEVE IN THAT ORDER. NOT EASY BUT DO-ABLE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND ALL OF US ADDICTS.
  VSG 2/10/11                                             DR. ALVAREZ-MY HERO

Susan M.
on 4/20/11 10:28 am
Yes Yes Yes  That's why I've been a faithful WW mtg attender for 6 years.  I'd loose, maintain, gain, maintain, loose.......  That's why I have added VSG.  Tonight I had a huge head battle against eating...not i the least bit hungry via tummy but the head was starving.  I got on here, Facebook, and WW and start doing the boards.  I also looked up some WW meetings --- I'm going to hit an extra one tomorrow,  Sometimes I go Saturdays too.  You aren't alone so don't give up. 

HW: 272  SW: 245.5  CW: 234.5  GW: 150    
frisco
on 4/20/11 11:17 am

I'm just gonna venture to say that "Most All of Us" fall into this category.......

Everybody thinks there problem is worse than everybody elses.......

I hate to bring this up again cause "Sassy" will probably slap me......

But, I heard it again yesterday......"Yah know.....I'm Italian......and we eat...it's in our culture"

What I'm trying to say...is were all in the same boat....sure in varying degrees of difficulty.

Maybe it is time (speaking for myself also) we need to see a head doctor just like we went to a stomach doctor .......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

njmom5870
on 4/20/11 12:11 pm

I too, as a food addict.  I am a compulsive overeater.  After I had the band in then out 3 months later (which was a traumatic experience), I decided to go to a therapist that specializes in compulsive overeating.  I went for a full year before I decided to try WLS again.  I can tell  you it was the BEST thing I ever did.  I know my triggers, my behaviors and have tools to use to avoid putting myself into situations that I find myself helpless. 

I highly recommend a therapist or overeaters anonymous.  The more you can learn the better of you can be and you are not a failure.  You are recognizing behaviors and seeking help... That's a winner!!!

Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

LittleMissSunshine
on 4/20/11 3:54 pm, edited 4/20/11 3:54 pm
I've had therapy and plan to go back to it post-op, definitely recommended.  I also recommend picking up a book called Anatomy of a Food Addiction: The Brain Chemistery of Overeating by Anne Katherine (you can read more about this on my blog).

If you want to learn the how and why you got this way and get a lot of great exercises and steps to take to break free of it, that's the best tool I've found so far (though clearly I haven't implemented the steps yet, I plan to revisit another attempt post-op).

Good luck!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Jenn H.
on 4/20/11 4:48 pm - Portland, OR
 My brother was telling me that there are support groups for over eaters like there are for alcoholics. I think I'm going to find a local group and check it out.  http://www.oa.org/

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

dec721
on 4/21/11 12:33 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Oh yeah, Nancy, I'm about where you are, almost three years out.  I was doing fine until I fell back into the sugar and junk carbs, and now I just can't seem to get a grip.  I'm up about 25 pounds -- all in my big ol' backside!  I feel obliged to say, "Hi, my name is Dorothy, and I'm a compulsive overeater and food addict."

Dang it!

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Nancy R.
on 4/21/11 10:34 am - Edgewood, MD
Dorothy,

I'm so happy you responded to my post we seem to have found ourselves in the same boat.  I have gained back 30lbs I never reached my goal just 70lbs lost after the Sleeve.  Now feeling desperate and out of control I made an appointment with my bariatric surgeon to get a revision.  So I recently started to watch the show about Food Addiction and I just see myself in these patients.  I know we all don't deal with our problems head on because it is too painful so we use food.   I hope we can try to support one another in our journey to getting well.

Nancy
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views