When and Where do you go for Regular Sized Clothes ?

BriarRose
on 4/21/11 4:17 am
I know this sounds stupid.  But I don't want to go somewhere, and be totally disappointed that I don't fit into the clothes yet !!

I have been wearing plus sizes since my mid 20's.  That was 30 years ago. 

I last bought 2 pr of jeans a couple weeks ago at Avenue in a size 18.  How much difference is there between a regular size 18 and a plus size 18 ? or size ?  What size did YOU go to a "regular" store at ?  

And where have you gone for good priced items ? Work casual  type. 

This is a problem I never thought I would have !!!! 
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Susan M.
on 4/21/11 4:26 am
 I absolutely love this! LOL!  I can't wait to have this problem this time around with weight loss. About 5 years ago when I had lost 75 pounds (gained back + 5), I went into my favorite big woman's store and everything was too big. The sales clerk suggested I try shopping in regular sizes and came with me.  I remember buying size 16 jeans that time.  

Can't wait to hear about your shopping adventure. Have fun and enjoy, especially knowing you won't be gaining this weight back and will just keep buying smaller sizes for a while more. :)

P.S. I'm probably close to your age, and I know it's a bit scary not knowing where to shop. I hope the sales ladies make you feel like a queen and that you'll love it.

jluvsme
on 4/21/11 4:34 am - HI
What a great topic!
I wonder about this too.  I have a professional job and can't just buy an inexpensive pair of jeans and go to work.   Replacing my warddrobe at each size drop would be too expensive for me but I still have to be work appropriate.

My theory is that tops can be worn for a long time, even while I could drop a size.  If I can I plan to wait until I am two sizes smaller before spending money on tops. 

As for bottoms, some of the people in my support group have swapped clothes as they shrank, but lots of those guys don't have the kind of job where they have to wear dress slacks or skirts or dresses.

So I figure I will go to places like Ross and hunt for deals. Since they have both plus and regluar sizes you could experiment to see if you can fit an 18 instead of an 18W.  In the stores I go it seems that "regular" stores tend to stock from 16 down but I'm still just moving into a 20 now.

My girflfriend (size 10) actually trolls through stores like Savers and Goodwill for pants from Ann Taylor and other designers. She says she won't spend money on pants at a regular store if she can find them there.  Not sure how I feel about that and I am sure she has lots more to choose from at her size but that might be an idea.

Isn't this a great dilemma to have?
MN_Mama
on 4/21/11 4:45 am
No advice....I'll be in the same boat soon.  Can't afford to buy many clothes, and have to be presentable at work, so will wear the big pants until I walk out of them (nearly there!).  Already can't wear the V neck tops anymore, too much V, not enough ME.    There's worse problems!
I guess I'll try the inexpensive, big box stores for awhile until I "land" at my correct size and then look for sale priced, quality items that last. 
I just have no idea what my "style" will be.  I've been buying from a "if it fits, get it!" point for almost 30 years.   I am tall as well as heavy, so have been challenged all along.   Should be interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

katier825
on 4/21/11 4:53 am
The plus sizes are quite a bit fuller in the seat/thigh than regular sizes.  I've lost a lot in my legs and even the bootcut regular is now too full for me.  I look for a regular or slimmer cut on pants now.

I've found some great deals in the local Outlet Mall, Van Heusen in particular.  One day everything was $7.99 so I stocked up in smaller sizes.  Don't rule out department stores - check the clearance racks often.  I've gotten some nice stuff for $5-10 at Macy's, a little more at Dillards.

You might get more time out of tops and skirts/dresses than you will pants.  I HATE the baggy butt look, so I'd rather spend a little more on pants and get them more often.  There are a lot of cute elastic waist skirts out now.  Sears had some for $19, but the one I liked was too big!  I haven't had much opportunity to say that in my lifetime! LOL

It takes a while for the new you to sink in.  I look at things thinking they will be too small, but they're too big sometimes.  If you like something, try it on.  You might be pleasantly surprised at the fit!

A while back, someone mentioned a clothing swap at their support group meeting.  I think it's a great idea!
BriarRose
on 4/21/11 5:01 am
I actually took a friend's suggestion recently that laundry-mats gave really HOT dryers, so I took a load of cotton shirts and capris and put them in a ho****er wash, and then into a really HOT dryer, and fed the thing a ton of quarters !!! My size 24, 26 and 28 shirts shrunk like crazy !!! I now have more than a dozen shirts and 3 capris that fit !!! But I'm going to need a few pr. of slacks for work...hence my ???
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
mynewlife_75
on 4/21/11 5:26 am - Grants Pass, OR
I also have a professional job and was worried about buying clothes at each size change. I make a weekly trip to Goodwill and so far have been able to keep professional looking. I am down from a size 20 to a size 12. I am also down about 1/2 size shoe and have also been able to replace mine at Goodwill.

Good luck.

Tia
My Weight Loss Blog http://tiasnewlife.blogspot.com

dguenat123
on 4/21/11 5:29 am - Belton, TX
VSG on 12/21/10 with
JCPenny has really good sales and has coupons online, at the store and in the paper. If you watch and combine the sale and coupon you can get clothing for next to nothing. I went to a Goodwill in a larger city and found some really nice, work appropriate pants and skirts. I remember size 22 down for $9.99. I don't know if they have a Cato's in your area but they have nice clothes. If you shop there clearance you can get some nice pieces for little prices. I got an $80 summer pant suit for $14.99 at Dress Barn. I didn't think I would ever have these problems. Thanks for posting I have wondered the same thing.

Live, Love and Laugh!    
mareacuda
on 4/21/11 5:34 am - Las Vegas, NV
 I am in the same boat as you :-) I just fit in Old Navy 18's... WOO!

I hit the outlet mall... I bought 6 shirts at Banana Republic for like $30! Most are flowy and will stay with me for a bit without looking silly. 

I suggest you hit an outlet mall and try stuff on! Gap would be a nice place to start too. They have a great outlet, and carry up to size 20's and 2X tops. They have cute skirts with stretchy waists and most of it is work appropriate and preppy :-) 

Good luck! 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
cosmogrrl
on 4/21/11 5:40 am
 I am down to a baggy size 12, a few things in a 10, with an 8 on the horizon.

I just discovered Norma Kamali stuff at walmart.com

It's all on clearance.  It's all nice fabrics.  My FAVORITE ITEM (that I would never believe would be my favorite) is the jumpsuit.  It looks so good, I got both colors, and I went back and ordered the size Medium for when I get there.  That specific item isn't office-friendly, but it's very cute. It's FIFTEEN DOLLARS. Can you beat that?

Most of her fabrics are stretchy, but a good weight. They do not feel cheap.  You can return anything you don't like to WalMart and shipping is like .99.

They only carry a few of the items in my store, so I had to order, but I love each and every thing I got!!!

Also, I "discovered" Forever 21.  I'm 45 years old, so I've been 21 a couple of times and then some. They also carry large sizes and yes, its mostly trendy, but I wore a blouse to work yesterday from there that I paid $8 for.  Not on clearance.  Why didn't someone tell me about this before???

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views