Home and sleeved!

Lisa S.
on 4/27/11 8:30 am - TX
I had my VSG surgery yesterday afternoon. I am now home and the procedure went very well. They left the pain pump in, and I can remove it when it runs out of meds. Thank goodness for that. I heard a lot of people that came home in no pain, and needed only OTC meds. That isn't the case for me. I am in pain. I know in a few days, I'll be feeling much better, but I just wi**** would hurry up! I have been able to hold down all liquids and it completely satisfies me. My mom was with me during my hospital stay, and she ate a hamburger and fries in my room, and it did not bother me at all. They gave me beef broth for lunch, and it was quite tasty, and I am still stuffed. I'm still not sure how I'll get all the required liquids in me, because I get full very very easily. Does it get better?

Any suggestions from vets out there to help get through the first few days?

I'm so happy to be home and be on my way! I do need to update my ticker, because the weigh in at the hospital showed I was down 11 more pounds! :) How awesome is that?

I'm happy to be sleeved!

PaulaS
on 4/27/11 8:50 am - TX
Glad you are home!  
As for getting thru the first few days, sip and walk!   Walking really helped me alot.   The nurses and my hubby were good about getting me up even when I did not want to.   I stayed in the hospital for 4 days, though.   
Don't be afraid to take the liquid pain medicine when you have to.   I was, it gagged me and I thought I was going to throw up so I decided I did not need any pain meds.   I was wrong.   I sucked it up and took the liquid Lortab and did much better! 
Good luck!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Lisa S.
on 4/27/11 9:04 am - TX
Thanks for the reply! That's very sweet of you. I am not afraid to take the medication at all. It doesn't taste good, but it sure does help. I have liquid vicodin, promethazine, and prevacid.

I know that I could not sleep at all at the hospital, so I am ready to jump into bed and get some really good sleep. I spent the entire evenng and overnight walking. I am sure I walked a few miles. It was weird how I felt better being up, and was really in more pain just lying down.

I hope I  can get a nice 8 hours of sleep tonight!

Thanks for the encouraging words!
tanieanie
on 4/27/11 8:52 am - WI
Congrats on your new sleeve.     Im a week out now and I can say everyday gets a little easier.  I was able to get more liqueds down about day 4.   My belly is still somewhat sore but Im able to do housework and walk, walk,walk.    Good luck and keep us informed.

Lisa S.
on 4/27/11 9:09 am - TX
Well-I can't wait to be a week out! :) I know it will get better and better as the time goes by. That's what makes me smile now!

One weird reaction I had at the hospital was an incredibly itchy nose. It worsened with my nasal cannula. I finally asked them to remove me from oxygen. My o2 stats were always decent if not really good, so I didn't really need it. That did seem to subside, but my nose is still really red. I look like rudolph!

Thanks for your kind words. They mean a lot to me.

Lisa

vjb1952
on 4/27/11 8:57 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
    Congratulations on a smooth surgery...that is great!  In the hospital, they had me alternate between a small amount of water and a small amount of protein drink every 15 minutes.  I had to dilute the protein because it was too heavy for my new lil' sleeve. When I came home, I sipped protein shakes and water, but still didn't get it all in. (Remember this: liquid in/ liquid out...there was no such thing as a safe fart...THAT got better later too!) Just take care of yourself.  Remember to sip, walk, rest and repeat.  It does it get easier. (I felt a little better each and every day after surgery.)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and welcome to the Bench,  Viv 

vjb1952

Lisa S.
on 4/27/11 9:10 am - TX
Thank you Viv!!

I plan on doing just that. I just had some broth and isopure. Now I think it's time to walk around the house twice and then take a small nap.

Thanks again!
Lisa
Gracieteddy
on 4/27/11 9:11 am - IA
You are doing so much better than I did . I stayed in two days after my surgery and din't need pain meds when I went home. It sounds like you are drinking fine. Just keep sipping and walk !

buxom_blossom
on 4/27/11 9:25 am
VSG on 04/12/11 with
 Glad to hear everything went well for you! 

I agree with everything the others have said - sipping and walking is so important (even though you don't always feel like doing it).  I would set an alarm to go off every hour to remind me to get up and walk.  

I have an electric heating pad that has become my best friend!  I'm just over 2 weeks out and still use it, it's such a comfort and takes soreness away without the pain killers.  All though I was taking strong pain meds every 4 hours for the first week. 

Liquids get a lot easier.  I feel like I can drink like I could pre-op (I've never been a gulper). 

I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

Most Active