Vomiting

SisterBigBone
on 4/29/11 9:47 am - Bronx, NY
A few hours ago, I decided to try a little avocado. Big mistake! I had the worst pain in my stomach. I started vomiting and crying.

I'm suppose to go back to work next week, but I'm having a really hard time advancing my diet out of liquids. It seems like everything I try to eat in the mushies category gives me severe abdominal pain and makes me cry.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 10:02 am - Germantown, MD
Measure your food. Be sure to take VERY small bites. If you need to, buy a baby spoon to help with that. Chew thoroughly, yes, even the mushy stuff. Take it VERY slow. If you are having severe abdominal pain after eating CALL YOUR SURGEON (not yelling, just trying to emphasize). Don't mess around with it, don't think you're being a bother. CALL THEM. There may be nothing wrong but it's much better to be safe than sorry. One of the symptoms of a stricture is severe pain after eating and the inability to keep it down. I'm not trying to scare you but, you need to take care of you.

*hugs* let us know how you're doing.
SisterBigBone
on 4/29/11 10:05 am - Bronx, NY
Thanks!

Monica W.
on 4/29/11 10:07 am - TX
Hey sister this doesn't sound good at all I had my surgery 6 days before you and am eating anything i can fit in the blender. PLEASE CALL YOUR DOC. This is not normal at all..... Keep us posted...

didim62
on 4/29/11 11:05 am - Kensington, CT
I think it is normal for our tummies to not accept everything we eat in the beginning but to not accept anything does not sound right. Please call your surgeon. Stay on the full liquids till you can see him....maybe yogurt, pudding if those things do not bother you along with protein shakes to get in the nutrients you need right now. Best of luck and please keep us posted.
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
jmart76
on 4/29/11 11:05 am
 The first time I tried a little avocado it didn't go down very well. I had to take some anti-nausea medicine. I tried it again today and it made my stomach gurgle a lot and it gave me heartburn. Maybe some things don't go down so easy. Have you tried cottage cheese, that was a staple food for me for a while. Everyone is different, you just have to find what works for you. 

Ht 5'6 
Surgery Date: April 6, 2011
Wt at surgery was 232

Lionetta
on 4/29/11 1:11 pm - AZ
I'd agree that you should call your surgeon. Your new tummy should be able to handle something in the mushie category by now. Are you taking a PPI? I started out on soft boiled eggs and was delighted ...but only could eat a half before I was full, so going slowly and taking tiny bites is really important. One wee bite, rest a bit, then another wee bite ... see if that helps.

I know it's not easy, and my heart goes out to you that you're having these problems. I hope to hear that you're better soon!

Hugs!!

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

SisterBigBone
on 4/30/11 3:23 am - Bronx, NY
I've been able to eat cottage cheese. The first time I tried an egg,peanut butter, and refried beans my stomach went crazy. Now I'm able to tolerate eating an egg if I eat it really slow. My mother thought the oily consistency of the avocado probably made me feel nauseous. I never vomited before until this week. It just seems that most things I've initially tried after surgery don't agree with me like they use to. It's frustrating! I saw my doctor yesterday and everything checked out okay. I just want to be able to eat a variety of foods instead of sticking with full liquids.

Most Active
Recent Topics