Back to Basics

mjchristy
on 5/9/11 12:03 am - IN
I am almost 7 months out and this month I have only lost 3 lbs and last month I lost 6 lbs.  I am not happy with that so I am going back to basics.  Old habits are coming back to haunt me such as eating when I should and grazing.  I am not overeating that I know of but I don't want that to happen so I am asking for your help.  How basic should I go back?  Also I love fruit and have been eating alot of fruit recently.  Should I shy away from fruit for awhile?  Any of your help would be greatly appreciated!  I just want to get back on that losing wagon again!  I am exercising doing my 3 mile walking tape a day.  Do I need to do more than that?  Thanks for all your support!

Melissa
  SW:  302  Surgery W:  275  VSG:  October 13, 2010          
cattywompos
on 5/9/11 12:11 am
I say go back to basic principles... protein first, veggies second, all else third. Measure and log your food.  Exercise, take your vitamins and drink your water.  Yes, I would watch the fruit. If you have had a good day where you got in your protein and are under your caloric goal, go ahead and have some otherwise stay away.  You could up your exercise a little bit or change it up.  Now, if you want to go back to real basics, do the 5 day pouch test, but personally I think that is better for those that have gotten into the carb craze again.

I too was at a lull the past couple months, it could be that we simply have to work a bit harder.  I have really been watching my protein first rule and lowered my calories a bit and I lost 3lbs over the weekend. Don't know if the changes had anything to do about that, but I am happy either way :)  Good luck!
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

George B.
on 5/9/11 12:13 am - Miami, FL
Melissa,

For me going back to basics was keeping to the program my surgeon gave me.

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day.
2. Get 65-100 grams of protein daily.
3. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day.
4. Drink a minimum of 64 oz. of water.
5. Regular exercise ot physical activity.

Tracking what you eat on a program like myfinesspal.com is also helpful. Often you're eating more calories and carbs than you think and tracking will point this out and help keep you accountable.

Good luck,
George

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/11 1:48 am
For me going back to basics is exactly what George said.  As a matter of fact, I am almost two years out and have been at goal for 1.5 years, and in the last few weeks I gained two pounds, I went right back to "basics" and am back at goal.  This is the program I will use for life to keep me at goal weight.  Whenever I have a small regain, 2-5 lbs, I will go right back to basics and lose it.  I would recommend following it exactly as stated.
KarenNZ
on 5/9/11 12:45 am
I understand what you're going through. Maybe because we had our surgeries around the same time, your post caught my eye. I have definately been overeating on the carbs and the scale shows it. The past month I have been bouncing between 3-4lbs up and down. You should be happy with your exercise routine, 3 miles a day. I try to do 3 miles also, but only 3X a week and occasionally a little free weights for upper body and situps. You are motivating me to "get back to basics" because I need to move on from this stuck position.
I would suggest for you to try the weights; this will help with building a little muscle to help burn calories and I have been reading a book called Women, Food and God by G. Roth (Ithink the order of words in title are right, but I don't have it in front of me). I think it has really helped me think about why I am doing what I am doing with the eating thing, but I'm still reading so we'll have to see where it goes.
I wish you luck on your journey and am pulling for us both to get going on the right path!
Karen
     I am making my dreams a reality with each step I take.           
Cedes
on 5/9/11 2:21 am - West Olive, MI
Thanks for posting this... i am 9 months out tomorrow, and the last 2 months i lost about 4 pounds each month, and this month, probably nothing....  I am active, feeling so much better, but I want back on the losing wagon too!!!!!!  I was planning to go back to basics too, but kept putting it off! I think now is the time!  We can do this!
Life aint always beautiful, but it is a beautiful ride!           Imagine what you could do, if you could not fail! 

Ticker reflects weight loss post-op.  Lost 14 pre-op.

kiki55vsg
on 5/11/11 1:56 pm - Hubbard, OH
Pick up a calorie counter book that has carbs listed and look for low carb fruit. I was a banana a day until I found out that 1 cup has 35 grams  of carbs!!!!! I found that  fresh strawberries are only 11 grams of carbs for 1 cup, if you can eat that much! 1 cup of watermelon has 11 carb grams.
A 5 ounce peach is 58 calories, 1 grams protein, 14 carb grams.
I'm old school, I like books!!!!!!!!!  Hope this helps.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 257 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 323 views