Help! Having a tough time with preop liquid diet

SkinnyGenes
on 5/11/11 12:52 pm - MD
VSG on 05/16/11 with
My surgery is scheduled for next Monday (5/16) and today is my first day of the liquid diet...and I'm struggling.  I didn’t realize that I was so connected with food.  My shakes taste OK, I can get them down but I'm just miserable and hungry.  I tried drinking an Isopure this evening but that was even worst.  Now I'm afraid for after the surgery.  If this is so hard, wont post-op be worst?  I'm so upset, i could cry.  I really want this surgery but I'm afraid that I will not succeed.

Please tell me this is the hardest part, or if i should expect a more difficult two-three weeks?

PS.  I'm working with a therapist on "mourning" food, but I love to hear from others about what they went or going through.  Your achievements have help so much!

Thanks
Alisha
sleeve genie
on 5/11/11 12:55 pm - Alhambra, CA
The two week liquid diet sucked,  but you will live through it.   Post op is so much easier,  really nice having a nice small tummy   a  little dab will do ya    congrats on your date,   you'll be very glad you are doing this  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/11 1:04 pm, edited 5/11/11 1:06 pm
Yeah, it was hard on that Pre-op liquid phase.  I was so afraid not to stick to it though, because I was 59 and had horrible lung issues from my excess abdominal weight.  I wanted to lose as much as I possibly could to minimize the risk.  So, even though it was hard, it was the best thing I could do for me.  Try to do some new stuff to fill your time.  Look for clothes on line that you will be able to fit into later, write in a journal, set some realistic goals, take walks, do what you can to start your mind thinking like the thin person you are becoming.

On post-op you will wonder how in just 18 waking hours a day you will possibly get all that liquid down.  Some folks have a rough time post op because they are just wanting something to chew and the head hunger drives them crazy.  My biggest help in dealing with that was to get up and move!  Walk, go to a movie, get out of the house... anything but sit around an dwell on not being able to eat.

The main thing post op is to get as much water and protein as you can.  And, don't stress about the scale the first few weeks, you will be post op and your body will be deciding how it is going to deal with the new plumbing.

Good luck!!!  
Elaine2
on 5/11/11 1:15 pm - Atlanta, GA
Hey Alisha,
The next several weeks are just a small blip in a longer journey. My post op was pretty easy with 2 weeks of liquids, 2 weeks of mushies then 2 weeks of soft foods. Then start introducing a wider variety of high protein lower carb foods.

Actually not that difficult...just really boring. But lots of folks struggle through this very important time. You'll be recovering from major surgery and dealing with the old desires or the "mourning" you described. It's important to follow your surgeon's plan Even if you find it more difficult than what you're doing now, it's a short period of time. Your VSG decision is for life.  The potential of a healthier, happier future is worth a few weeks of struggle, if that's what happens. Right??

CJCC55
on 5/11/11 1:59 pm - Cleveland, TN
I really feel for you, I am not sure that I could have stuck to a preop liquid diet. I was not required to do a preop diet. I only had to do a 24 hr liquid diet the day prior to surgery, and eat/drink nothing at all after midnight. I ended up losing 7 lb. preop eating low carb sporadically. Post op, its easy to do the liquids, but preop..... not so much.
Best of luck with the liquids.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Crimson
on 5/11/11 2:27 pm - MD
I see you're from Maryland

For me, the pre-op was hell!! But I just kept drinking water, protein shakes and crystal light.

I must say my two week post op on all liquids was sooooo much easier than pre-op. It could be because I am motivated to succeed, don't wanna risk anything, or because I am simply not hungry. It will pass for you, Monday is right around the corner. Just keep yourself busy.
Jessica M.
on 5/11/11 5:28 pm - San Antonio, TX
I had a hard time the first two days, but on the third day I realized that I was no longer hungry. Don't cheat, and drink water, yu will be fine. The last four days of my pre op diet, I didn't even want to eat as much as was required. Congrats, I will be scooting over on the loser's bench to make room for you! Jess

Readyforafreshstart
on 5/12/11 1:07 am
Pre-Op liquid diet SUCKED! I seriously thought I wouldnt be able to do it, but here I am. For me the Pre-Op liquids were SO SO SO much harder than the 2 weeks after surgery, dont sweat it, you will do fine. I have heard of folks getting prescribed Phentermine for appetite control for the Pre-Op diet so they wouldnt be so miserable.
FreeJulie
on 5/12/11 1:48 am - WA
The pre-op diet was the hardest part for me. I was sooooo hungry and I was scared and all thse self-doubts in my mind. I had the same fears! By day four or five of the pre-op diet I felt immensely better. You will be fine.
Julie, 5' 3", age 42. Starting weight: 263, Surgery weight: 255
Blogging at www.freejulie.blogspot.com        
Sunshine115
on 5/12/11 12:40 pm - MI
Hi I am having mine done on the 16th, & I'm on day 4 on my pre surgery liquid diet, yikes this is hard. I'm trying to keep my eyes on the prize, I'm definitely getting freaked out. Let's keep in touch.
Tricia

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views