What's with this NUT?

NewDawn50
on 5/20/11 4:45 am
So I went to see my surgeon on Wednesday, and she is pretty pleased with my progress.  Yay, me.

I also had to see the NUT, who is in the same office.  She is not unhappy with me, but advised that she wants me to "get in a lot more fruits and veggies now."

Huh!!???  Lady, by the time I get in the protein I need, there's barely room.  I can eat 3 to3.5 oz. of salmon at dinner, and I'll get in maybe 3-4 broccoli florets before I have to call it a day.  And that's a big dinner.  In the afternoon, I'll maybe manage 1-2 tbsp. of blueberries with lunch.

BTW, my labs look fine and I take a complete multi-vit daily.  How much tummy does this woman think I have???

michellemj
on 5/20/11 5:42 am
Ignore her. :)

Mine wants me to be eating "a small salad" with every meal. Given that I eat about 1/2 cup of food per meal, there isn't any room for my protein and a small salad, unless she means 1 single piece of lettuce.

My NUT hasn't been helpful at all, which is why these boards are all the more impt. I stick with 600-800 cal, protein first (well, pretty much exclusively as I aim for 80g a day), less than 40g carbs and at least 3L of water a day. This plan has done me ok so far so I'll be continuing with it til goal.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 5:58 am
I am sorry, but in my opinion, your NUT is a nut.  I would concentrate on dense protein and a bit or two of veggies.  Later, when you can eat more, add in more veggies.
Jayna
on 5/20/11 7:51 am
My NUT is a nut too.  At my 3 month appointment she wanted me to add in crackers and toast!  How does she expect me to eat that with my small tummy.  Needless to say, I'm still trying to do low carb and ignore her.
Lapband to VSG revision

pcannedy
on 5/20/11 1:52 pm - Sacramento, CA
Yes, I believe all the nuts are crazy when it comes to anything besides protein. I am eight mos post op, and can bearly eat anything besides protein.  My stomach is 36 and cannot hold much. 

wert
on 5/20/11 2:22 pm - MN
Practice selective hearing. Take in what you know to be correct, ignore the rest.  

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

jujube123
on 5/20/11 10:54 pm
 I cant speak for all NUT's but as many as I've seen, they are all naturally SKINNY!!  My doctor even said she doesnt think they will ever truly understand what it's like for us, (my doc has a few extra pounds).  I realize that doesnt make them any less educated, but if they arent familiar with a food addicts feelings, and havent had this surgery themselves can they really understand the restriction we feel?  I think they try and offer some helpful advice, but unless they could experience this journey they will never truly get it.  P.S.  I have often thought about studying to become a nutritionist (I know more about food and diets than a lot of people cause I have dieted so long, right?) but I didnt think they let fat people in, lol.  Maybe now I can change career paths and I would definatley understand what WLS patients go through!!  Best of Luck to you on your journey!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views