Gym issues

mareacuda
on 5/19/11 4:45 am - Las Vegas, NV
 So I was recently laid off from my job, and decided that I now have ZERO excuses to not make it to the gym. I have been going (well, it's been 3 days, but still) and I have a slight issue. I feel extremely dehydrated when I am working out (like I want to chug a bunch of water) but obviously I cannot do that. I try to slowly sip, but still get nauseous from it. Then I get kind of lightheaded and weak (VERY weak) as well as shakey... 

It's frustrating me because I feel like I can't get in the workout I want... I always have to cut myself short so I don't pass out! I know I am pushing myself pretty hard, but isn't that what we are supposed to do? 

I always have a protein shake before I go, and steady drink my water... 

Anyone else? 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
heathermc44
on 5/19/11 5:01 am - Bremerton, WA
I would definitely listen to your body.  Maybe try and drink as much water as possible before working out and reserve your protein shake to after you work out.  I also would maybe just do what you can now realizing that you will build up your stamina and will be able to do more in the future.  You don't want to over do it and then have to stop.  Better to go slowly and build up to more.

Good luck to you.

mareacuda
on 5/19/11 5:05 am - Las Vegas, NV
 Thanks Heather :-) 

I will try to hold off on my protein shakes until after. 

I guess I am impatient with myself, I am not in horrible shape for someone my size (ie: I can elliptical for 30-45 minutes, bike ride, walk/jog, etc) but this feeling sucks. I guess I will try to take it a bit easy :-)

faylavi
on 5/19/11 5:19 am - Laurel, MD
Be patient with yourself!!

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

cattywompos
on 5/19/11 5:23 am
Listen to your body!  You are pushing it too hard.  Who says you have to go at exercise like you were doing it for years right off the bat. Start slow and build up.  If you are doing the treadmill start out slow and on a low incline and slowly week by week add time, incline or speed.  If you are doing weights, do arms one day and legs the next adding weight as time goes on. Slow and steady is the best for you and your heart. 
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

GAFROMVA
on 5/19/11 5:29 am - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with

I used to get lightheaded too when I was doing cardio at the gym. I started hydrating before working out and it got better. I try to get in 50 - 60 ounce before going to the gym. Now I can drink and do cardio at the same time, so it does get easier. 

Glen
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. 

HW: 565, Surgery Day: 486 CW: 319
Seelessofme22
on 5/19/11 5:59 am - MD
I had that same issue at one point. I went to the gym one day early in the morning...didn't drink much before I went and had half a protein shake. When I got home I literally almost passed out. My vision was getting grey and I couldn't move. Funny thing is, I was at my parents house and I had just gotten out of the shower and all I could think was "I can't yell out for help...I'M NAKED!!" lol I started sipping my protein shake and in a few hours I felt better.

Now, I make sure I drink lots of water before I workout...then I have half a shake before and half a shake after my workout. I haven't had an episode since.
Follow me on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/seelessofme22
HW - 311; SW - 296; CW - 191; 1st GW - 190; 2nd GW - 180?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." 
sonyagettinghealthy
on 5/19/11 7:32 am - CA
So glad to read what you all have written. I was sleeved 4/25/11 and was cleared for the gym last week. I worked out Fri and then again on Tues. Same deal, dizzy, lightheaded, thought I was gonna pass out. Got to work and drank a protein shake which came right back up. Actually had to leave work sick and then take yesterday off as well because room continued to spin. I am on anti-naucea pills now that my Dr prescribed and when I called yesterday he said I had definitely overdone myself at the gym. I am still not feeling well and really trying to stay hydrated. Also got diarrhea which I hear could be from the sugar free popcicles I ate yesterday while trying to get fluids in. Mind you I felt wonderful before I went to the gym. Crazy. But its good to know I'm not the only one who has had this experience.

Eileen36
on 5/20/11 11:24 am - PA
Water always makes me nauseous post-workout. I'm fine during, but after I just can't until after I've had something to eat. can you take something to the gym to eat immediately after your workout. I usually do a protein shake, but maybe a piece of fruit or something?

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 6/8/12!! - LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift & Medial Thigh Lift             
Most Active