First day back at work

nuyvon79
on 5/23/11 2:52 am, edited 5/23/11 2:56 am

I had surgery on May 11th so I am 12 days post up. I am doing much better as far as getting my protein down. I am getting in 70 grams of protein in plus 64 oz of liquids and it is going down really good now and I am not feeling pain anymore. My main complaint is that I still feel sooooo tired and weak and if I exert myself just a little I have to sit down and just sit there and breath for a minute. I get light headed and my heart starts beating really fast. I have a desk job and can work at my own pace, but even just sitting here typing and sorting through paperwork is tiring. I work on the second floor and just so happens today the elevator was out. It was hell trying to get up those stairs without passing out. I hear how some people are walking 1 and 2 miles already after surgery and I just don't see how.  My first post op appointment is tomorrow and hopefully  I will be cleared to move to mushies, maybe I will feel better with some food in me. I am probably going to make it a half day today and leave at lunch and go home and sleep. Anyone else feel this way at this point after their surgery. And how long did it take for you to feel normal again. I know I just had major surgery but I can't wait to get back to 100%.

SW: 281 CW: 202
Only got one shot to do this thing called life, and I'm gonna make it a winner     
cattywompos
on 5/23/11 2:58 am
Everyone has different recouping stories. Some have pain, nausea, heartburn, vomiting, tiredness, some don't. I was great exept for a searing pain when I stood up, moved or walked :)  I couldn't have walked a mile 2 weeks post op either. And I was tired, tired, tired too.  Just hang in there, make it through you day and go home to rest.  Everyday will get a bit easier than the last. Promise.  It took me a good month to not be tired after work and it took me several months to really feel "normal". Once you get on regular food again it gets much better.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

mirandainmn
on 5/23/11 2:59 am - MN
I had my surgery the day after you and feel the same way. I feel much better, but soooo tired. I also don't understand how people are walking miles after surgery. I've been on a couple shopping trip and when I get home I am wiped out. I go back to work in 4 days, i'm not as nervous about the fatigue as I am the lightheadedness as I have a semi active job. I'm also hoping for more energy once I start mushies, but that's still 10 days away for me. Good luck, i'm sure we'll be feeling better in no time.
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 3:29 am
Well I think we are in the same boat! We had surgery on the same day!

Today is my first day back to work as well. I am doing pretty good, besides being a little tired. I work in an office, and it was a little overwhelming coming back to piles of paperwork. But, I'm just going to take it one day at a time and eventually everything will be alright. I thought about only working half a day, but so far I feel fine.

But overall, I'm like you, I can't wait to get back to 100%.

I wish you the best...
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 3:48 am
Just going to the grocery store was an act of exertion for me in that time frame.  Just try to keep water around and don't push yourself too hard.

I have a desk job as well, I think it took me another whole week after I came back (took two weeks off) to work a whole day without feeling like I needed to lay down in a coffin.

I think it took me about a month or so to actually get out and move around without getting tired.  I did notice also that when I go through a big fat burn I will generally feel pretty tired and run down.  

Once you're cleared for mushies you'll feel much better tho, mashed potatoes and beans never tasted so good in all of my life.  Lunch meat, cheese...it tasted better than I remember steak and fries tasting lol.

nuyvon79
on 5/23/11 3:58 am, edited 5/23/11 3:58 am
Thank you guys for your responses. It is very reassuring. I'm probably going to go home at noon today. At least I got some paperwork sorted out and answered a few emails. I'll take it a little at a time. I can't wait to have me some mash potatoes too and I have been dreaming about scrambled eggs...lol.

SW: 281 CW: 202
Only got one shot to do this thing called life, and I'm gonna make it a winner     
ktalafuse
on 5/23/11 4:31 am
I had my surgery May 9th and yes I am exhausted all the time.  I hate the shakes LOL....however, today I got one down and it wasn't too horrible.  I can't sleep at night but I'm tired.  Going to the store is a chore and getting in my car is even a chore.  I sure hope it gets better at least I can come here and vent.
Kimi T. 
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
Maya Angelou

vacationlover
on 5/23/11 5:55 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views