Are my goals realistic?

KSqtpie
on 5/27/11 5:20 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
 So, I spent a LOT of time considering lapband and was mentally prepared for a slower weightloss journey. But now that I have discovered the amazing results of the sleeve, I have decided to move forward with this surgery instead. Now I am trying to wrap my head around the reality that my weightloss could be twice as fast as what I would have experienced with lapband. Yay!!!

I know everyone loses at a different pace and may face various obstacles, but is it realistic to want to lose all my excess weight in 6-8 months after surgery?

I am 31 yrs old, 5'2", and 228 lbs...my personal goal is to lose 100 lbs. Am I being too optimistic? Don't get me wrong, I would ecstatic with 50 lbs at this point, but I am determined to work this tool to it's full potential!!
cabcab
on 5/27/11 5:24 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I have lost almost 100, but I started out a lot higher than your starting weight.  I think 100 pounds is a realistic goal, but don't put a timeline on it.  Everyone loses at different speeds.

Best wishes!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

BuckeyeGirl
on 5/27/11 9:04 pm - TN
It is mostly up to your body. You put the work in and the results will come, but your body kind of determines how quickly the results happen.

I started with about 130 to lose and I'll hit 6 months out this coming week. So far I'm down a little over 80. I hope I'll hit that 100 mark by 8 months. I track everything I eat and even 6 months out I still eat basically only protein. I don't yet have room for the bite of veggies after the protein first thing. So, my carbs are kept very low. I exercise by swimming 2-3 times per week and sometimes will do some walking the other days.

Basically I feel like I am doing my job by putting in the appropriate effort. Yet, some people, even those with less weight than me to lose, have lost faster by the 6 month mark. Also keep in mind if you are looking at the tickers around here, some people have lost weight pre-op and they are including that amount on there.

So, it is difficult to say. With 100 lbs to lose, could you do it in 8 months? Well, maybe! Could you body stall sometimes despite your best efforts and cause you to not hit the 100 lb mar****il 1 year out? Well, maybe!

It is hard to say how fast you will lose the weight, but if you work the sleeve, you will lose the weight.

Best of luck,
Lindsey

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/11 10:41 pm, edited 5/27/11 10:42 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
^^^

What Linds says!  She is smaaa!

And this too - I think *some* folks do not get to their place they initially wanted to be because they get weary along the way.  Me? I only had laser focus for so long, and I *knew* this about me, so I knew I needed to find the recipe that would get me optimum loss in minimum time.

This is just who I am and who I had been.  Know yourself and set yourself up for success!! 

We can do more amazing things than we ever imagined once we get and keep our heads in this game! 

And honey, a game it is!!
tawana2q
on 5/27/11 10:43 pm - NY
I believe it possible if you stay focused and continue doing what your doing.  I would suggest dont over exhaust yourself trying to reach that goal cause you can burn and crash.  I am 6 weeks out and lost 40 pounds so looking at 6-8 months out I can see myself in having lost 100+ as long as I continue to do what I am doing. 
CJCC55
on 5/27/11 10:40 pm - Cleveland, TN
Yes, that goal is totally do-able!!!
Go for it!!!

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Crabadams72
on 5/27/11 10:42 pm - Silver Spring, MD
I think it is possible. Do you normally drop weight easily on diets? If you do a pre op diet and lose 10-20 pounds then by surgery day you will have less to lose. I think I will be close to goal by New Years if not then Valentines Day.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Happy966
on 5/28/11 12:40 am

Here's what I know for me, but easier said than done. I can say for sure that the only thing I can control is what I put into my mouth and how much I move my body. I can't control how much I weigh. So I try really, really hard to let that go, and trust that right eating and right exercising will get my body to a right weight. And accept what that is as long as I'm doing my part.

I hope I remember this after surgery. I am trying to lose weight now that my insurance paperwork is complete, and this part is *always* a challenge.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/11 3:32 am
 I've lost probably most of what I'm going to lose in about 8 months.  175 pounds down, realistically without getting some of this skin cut off that's about all I'm going to lose.  210 pounds, 6'3", medium-large frame.

I would say my results are not typical, but there are plenty of sleevers that have dropped 100 plus pounds.  I'm not sure what your ideal goal weight is however, that's the variable that would impact realistically losing 100 pounds.
KSqtpie
on 5/28/11 10:19 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
 Thank you all for your feedback! I am ready to get sleeved today! These 6 mos can't go fast enough!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views