Unusual situation - need advice on recovery times for sleeve please (time sensitive)

2muchfluff
on 6/2/11 1:47 pm

You also need to keep in mind that you need to get up and move often to prevent blood clots.  Hope that will be doable as well.

Need4Change
on 6/2/11 1:50 pm - NJ
Good point - how often is it recommended to do that?  Typically you can get up to go to the bathroom, take a break, etc.  The first 2 days is orientation...  Also - how long do I need to make sure Im moving around for?  For example - up to how many days of post-op do I need to be careful of this?
2muchfluff
on 6/2/11 1:56 pm
My surgeon said to move every couple of hours or so while you are awake.  I am not sure about the time period that you should be doing this, though.  I think I remember reading that the clot danger is around for about 3 months, but I could be mistaken.  Maybe someone else will correct me if I am wrong.

Need4Change
on 6/2/11 1:58 pm - NJ
Ok thats not so bad - the frequency is doable - I do that now at work... The time frame could also work, they are aware of my health condition so they'll need to manage!  And of course, I'll do my best to be healthy  :)

Thanks again for your feedback!!
LittleMissSunshine
on 6/2/11 2:20 pm
I think the 3 month mark is when risk of a leak drops significantly because the scar tissue has had time to develop.  I don't think it's 3 months for the clots though as they can be a side effect of the anasthesia... I think it's only for a few days immediately post-op.  I just saw my surgeon on Tuesday for my post-op appointment (1 week out from surgery) and he didn't say anything about making sure I still get up and move around; I'd think he would if it were still important?

As for the job question, I'm day 10 post-op and am at about 90% back to feeling like myself... the only discomfort I'm having is just from the incision sites pulling a bit when I move beyond the range they're willing to give.  I'm working from home this week, but will be going back on Monday, including attending a 2 day conference where I'll need to do quite a bit of walking around.

I think right now the only issue is feeling tired from the lack of calories, so you could probably power through that first week as long as you're able to stay on top of your protein intake and take it as easy as you can.

Not sure about why a UK company would ask about the surgery though, especially since they have universal health care there... the company doesn't pay for it, the government does.  My only guess would be that they might be curious to know if you're in poor health, making you a higher risk hire in terms of turnover.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Re-DiscoveringMe
on 6/2/11 2:29 pm
I am almost 40 and was in good health except for being obese when I had my surgery last month.

If you're pushed to reveal your surgery, I'd frame it as a "partial gastrectomy" not weight loss surgery. It's entirely the truth and actually more medically meaningful. A partial gastrectomy can be done for ulcers, cancer, and a few other reasons so it's not giving away the whole story. 

At about 2 weeks post-surgery I could do about 30% of my regular hours. It took me 6 weeks to regain my energy enough to work full-time. I work from home, doing a desk job and very a dedicated worker but I just couldn't get my energy back to do more. What I found made an enormous difference was ensuring I was drinking as much water as I could. That pushed my energy way higher and resolved the dehydration that was slowing me down.  

BTW - You could offer to start on the 14th. That way you only have to do two days of work before you have a full weekend to rest. I always negotiate to start a new job on a Thursday. I find starting on Monday leaves you overwhelmed with new information in your first week. When you start on a Thursday, the break after two days allows your brain to rest and you can retain more of what you're learning. It's one of the secrets of my success. :o)

Good luck with your decision.
Need4Change
on 6/2/11 9:14 pm - NJ
Hi re-discovering me,

Thanks for the feedback - they wouldnt allow me to start mid-week as their orientation starts on Mondays, hence needing a full week thereafter.  I offered, but oh well...

Having energy was one of my concerns also!  Good to know that the water helped you.

Thanks for the advice!
Joyce
Donna09
on 6/2/11 2:32 pm - CA
As long as you had no complications you should be fine starting 12 days after surgery.  I had no problems and was back to work a week later.  I was really wiped out the first couple of days back to work but I was back at full speed.

Everyone is different and depending on how well you can get your fluids and protein in will determine how ready you will feel.

The sleeve is such a wonderful tool!  Best wishes!
Need4Change
on 6/2/11 9:16 pm - NJ
Thanks everyone for your feedback!! Much appreciated...

Congrats on your progress and I wish you all continued success!
Serendipity16
on 6/2/11 3:24 pm
I was back to work 5 days after surgery. I had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Tuesday.I also traveled to Mexico for my procedure. In all honesty I would have preferred another couple of days off since I felt I needed it emotionally...and I was pretty tired. But I managed. If it matters it is a desk job..but I am up and down all day running from office to office...dealing with clients...etc. I was 41 when I had my surgery.

“How does one become a butterfly?" she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.?~Trina Paulus~

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views