Unusual situation - need advice on recovery times for sleeve please (time sensitive)

Need4Change
on 6/2/11 1:19 pm - NJ

The good news is I was approved for my sleeve!!  Surgery date is June 29th and I'm super excited!

The bad news is that in the meantime I've been interviewing with a company and didnt realize everything would happen so fast... They are a huge company with lots to offer but are pressuring me to start on July 11th - which is literally 12 days after my surgery...

Im concerned that I wont be capable of starting on that date and also there is the part of screwing over my current employer (even though I would be giving them notice in advance! – just not keen on the giving notice before im about to be on medical leave thing)

I have told the new job about the surgery, so there are no surprises.  I have really spelled it out that this surgery has a 2 night stay at the hospital and a 2 week recovery at minimum (that its invasive, im going under, etc). 

I think Im just going to tell them that I would be willing to accomodate up to the 18th, but anything less would put my health at risk and thats not something Im willing to do. If they are descent they will wait for me, but they keep saying we have a client waiting to start this project and have already pushed back and can not push back any longer.  Oh well, this is more important right now.

What Im looking for is your thoughts on recovery?? What is it like post-op?  I know about not being able to lift things but is there any danger in starting this new job (if I stay with my current employer Id be working from home)??

Don’t know if this plays a role in the healing process as everyone is different, but im 33 years old in relatively good health and can typically tolerate pain – I have had a tonsillectomy done in the past and surgery on my hand – obviously meds do help ease the pain!

Any thoughts are welcome - I have by tomorrow COB to respond with an answer....

Signed,
Frusterated!!

PS - Has anyone been approached by an employer to let them know what type of surgery they are having?? I work for a Brit company and their rules are different.  I wasnt willing to let them know whats going on but they have no privacy laws over there and if push comes to shove, not sure what Im going to say??

Jenns Livin free
on 6/2/11 1:24 pm

I have never been pushed to reveal my surgery, so I can't help.
The first few days are not pleasant, but I am 10 days out and feeling pretty good.  Plus, I am a revision, so my stomach has now been cut into 3 times, so I think I am a little more sore than others.  If it is somewhat of a desk job, I think you would be fine going back in 12 days.  I have not been working because I am a teacher and had the time off anyway, but I did take my 3 and 6 year old shopping today.  I was pushing a stoller that did not cooperate and walked quite a bit.  Not everyone is the same, but you should probably be fine.
Good luck,
Jenn

Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

Heidi V.
on 6/2/11 1:26 pm - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
Currently I'm in university. Decided to go back a little late. I also work part time at a local busy gas station. Today they called me in for my 1st 3 hour shift since surgery. I happily went it with my trusty protein shake at my side and did the 3 hours. Tonight I'm so sore....I have the "too many sit-ups" syndrome. I am 1 month out of surgery today. I could handle the small shift, but would not be ready to do a full shift.

Of course everybody's tolerences are different; I'm just a whimp at heart .

Good luck!

Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

2muchfluff
on 6/2/11 1:27 pm, edited 6/2/11 1:33 pm
If it is a desk job, you should probably be fine.  I had my surgery on a Monday and was off all pain meds by Friday.  By the following Monday, other than a little soreness that did not even require Tylenol, I could not even tell I had had surgery.  I was walking, going to the store driving, everything.  Just no lifting.  And of course keeping hydrated and working on Protein intake.  This surgery was way easier than I expected.  Much easier than my laproscopic Gall bladder surgery.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
PS
I don't think a company is allowed to pry into your private health matters.  I think I remember something about a Hippa law ......

Need4Change
on 6/2/11 1:43 pm - NJ
You are right 2muchfluff - they arent allowed to pry!  Apparently the UK doesnt have the same privacy laws as we do (makes you appreciate being American!) so they thought they could get an answer from me today... I politely declined to disclose my personal business and told them that in the US this is a private matter.  If they keep pushing or if the new employer wants to know what its about im not sure what to say - ie. it has to do with a female matter, or has to do with an intestinal issue, etc.  or just not say anything at all!
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 1:31 pm
Desk job, 12 days after surgery- you'd likely be very tired at the end of the day, but doable if necessary.. A physical job, not so much. That's my experience as a 38yr old in decent health but for my weight person.. Hope that helps!
Need4Change
on 6/2/11 1:38 pm - NJ
Thanks everyone for the quick replies, that means a lot!  :)

It is a desk job, I failed to mention sorry!  Desk job but a new one that I need to be able to focus - hopefully shouldnt be horrible!  
Need4Change
on 6/2/11 1:44 pm - NJ
I should probably note that I'll prob have to carry a laptop/case, but will look into maybe buying one of those you can roll to avoid any issues...  they said we cant lift anything over 5 or 10 lbs?
doggz109
on 6/2/11 8:30 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Not sure what industry you are in so things may be different.....but in most of the jobs I've heald they don't expect much in the first few weeks from a new employee.

It's more here....learn the company, learn the culture, meet the people, and here are some basic projects to get started.

Of course....you might be a CEO or something and I'm talking out of my ass. 

I think you will be fine though!  Good luck!
Need4Change
on 6/2/11 9:08 pm - NJ
LOL Doggz - not a CEO - but dont I wish!!  I'm a project manager and this is an amazing company/opprtunity which is why its stressful.  I really do feel if they are not willing to wait now, although I'll be hurt they are not the right company to work for.  Surgery is serious and they should respect that and my need for recovery.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views