SLEEVED! Horrible hospital recovery experience (LONG)

jennifersmithee
on 6/4/11 8:20 am, edited 6/4/11 8:22 am - Farmers Branch, TX
I am finally home - well techinically at my mothers. I should have known it was to be  a doomed experience when I went to check in on Wednesday morning at 6 am to be admitted and prepped for surgery which was scheduled at 8am. While checking in the admitting clerk said - "Oh you are still not approved." I just kind of looked at her. "Excuse me?" she repeated it, "You are approved for November, you aren't approved for June 1st.
Ok, this is just a misunderstanding. I explained to her that my insurance company (Aetna) approved me for a 6 month date range (5/17/11 - 11/17/11) but that I can have the surgery any time in between those dates. Her reply "No, it says you are not approved until November."  Now I am starting to get a little upset. I explain to her again that I am approved and that I have a letter from the insurance company indicating those dates. She says "I'm sorry but this is for a November approval." Now I am really upset. So I asked her if she would  mind calling them. She says ok and asked me to sit down in the waiting area so that I can't eavesdrop on the coversation. Regardless I felt confident it would all be sorted out so I didn't think too much of it.
A few minutes later she calls me back and says "I'm sorry. It still says November. We can wait until your doctors office opens up at 8 and then have them call to put a rush on it."
Thats it I'm furious. I can't help it I explode - remember I have been on a two week liquid diet where I have spent $175 on the shakes, I woke up early and my mouth was dry and I couldn't drink. I have arranged time off from work, everything, then she tells me its not approved, which I KNOW is inaccurate information. I go into a tirade which I won't rehash here and tear my arm band off and walk out. I beg my mom to take me home to get the letter before we waste anymore time and she thinks we should wait. I don't agree with that because that leaves me no time to get prepped for my 8 am surgery!  Since she won't take me home I call the insurance company - here is what they tell me "You are approved for the surgery between 5/17/11 - 11/17/11. The hospital would need to call us to update the actual surgery date." DING DING DING DING - so there was the miscommunication. I asked this rep if that was ever done - she stated that it was done 15 minutes ago (when the admission clerk called) but that it won't be reflected in the computer until 8 am with the Medical Review department opens up. I explained to her that my surgery was scheduled at 8 am - she assured me that should not hold up the surgery, that I should be able to get admitted and that it will be updated once MR opens, nothing else needed to be done. I get the insurance reps name, number and a reference number and head back in.
I tell the admission reps, who will not even look me in the eye now. Exactly what Aetna told me.
And she argues with me.... I am furious now. I hand her the paper and sit in the chair refuse to move and ask her to call them again.  She does but she is initially asking all the wrong questions. Such as "The patient is approved for November correct?" (True...) and "The date of the surgery has not been updated right?" ( Again... true) I mouth to her "You need to ask it I can still be admitted for my surgery if the actual date hasn't been set yet." She finally does something right and then gets the correct answers.  She gets the answers she needs and apoligizes, but says she still needs to call her boss just to let her know. I'm fine with that (I'm already 1 hour behind.) The covnersation with her boss was making me physically ill - it became very apparenty that neither one these individuals had a clue as to what they were doing in regards to insurance approvals. Whats worse is... I did all my pre-op 1 week ago, why the heck wasn't this taken care or then.. AND if there was a problem why wasn't I called? Regardless another 20 minutes listening to the boss phone call then she says that I am all clear and I can go back.
Pre-Op in day surgery was fine. They were all very efficient and I was able to get back to surgery pretty quickly. I don't remember much because they gave me Versed right before we left day surgery. I remember moving to the surgical table getting some oxygen and then I was out. I think I woke up in recovery but I can't remember much. I don't really remember getting to my room either. That whole first day is a blur. I do remember that I was pretty thirsty but I was able to have ice chips so that helped, My throat didn't hurt which I was grateful for. The stomach pain wasnt too bad either at first.  Later that evening I was starting to hurt so they gave me morphine which causes me to dry heave and thus hurt more. I think I have about 3 doses of morphine before I was able to convince them I needed something else.
I attempted to walk that eveining but it was awful and I didn't get far.
On Thursday the pain really set in, plus there was lots of gas pains. I went for a swallow test down in xray and the stuff then made me drink made me want to vomit. I did a little bit of walking but it was really hard. I would sit in the chair, lay in the bed, stand up, it didn't matter I was going to be miserable. I thought I was going to be discharged that day but the MD never came by and then they ordered a chest xray later that evening as well. Nurse told me it was routine. I didn't think anything of it and I was fine with staying another night.
Friday was when it really got interesting. I walked alot that day. I did everything I was supposed to do. Although I ran a slight fever, I didn't feel bad. I just assumed I would go home, I didn't hear anything different. Lab came to draw some blood. The bariatric coordinator came by to talk to me, apparently my nurse told her that she didn't think I had a good enough support system at home. Ok fine whatever. Here is one of my BIGGEST issues... the hospital bariatric program covers the band, RNY and DS - there is NOTHING in the literature anywhere about  the VSG. And they are not all the same. So the hospital treats the VSG in the same manner as the band and the dietary guidlines are STRICT. My doctor doesnt agree with a pureed stage or advocate that everything has to be sugar free unless you are diabetic or had the RNY. So I had to fight with dietary each and every time they brought me a tray - because I can't stand anything sweetened with splenda and almost everything was. Even though my MD wrote an order for me to have regular popsicles, jello, pudding, etc.. It didn't matter they argued with me each time.
Keep in mind that I still thought I would be going home Friday at some point so I was surprised when some random pulmonologist showed up and told me that my left lung collapsed and that I had pneumonia. She ordered another x-ray and breathing treatments and then said she would see me tommorow. I had one breathing treatment late that night.
So Saturday morning - I wake up to the new nurses during shift change I was feeling pretty crappy and then nurse asked me if I was in pain. I said yes, She asked if I would like some pain medicine and I said yes. Then then left. An hour later, resprirtory came by to give me another breathing treatment but they saw i wasn't feeling great and  they said they would come back after I get my pain under control. So they left. 5 minutes later the nurse came in with the pain medicine, about 30 minutes after that respiratory came back with the breathing treatment. Soon after my mom came by and asked if I had went of my xray yet, which I hadn't.) She went to go ask the nurse about it and the nurse told my mom that I had refused my toradol and breathing treatment. So my mom comes back in and asks me why I did that. It took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about, I told her I just had a breathing treatment and that nobody offered me toradol all I got was the lortab  an hour after asking for it. I was pretty perplexed at this point, not understanding why my nurse would lie like that.  A few minutes after  my mom leaves I take a shower, then go for my xray.
A couple hours later, the pulmonologist shows up and says there has been not improvement and says that I should not expect to leave anytime soon. UGH
By this time I need to order lunch so ... another fight with dietary and the evil lying nurse, who called the kitchen and tells them that I can only be on clear liquids despite what the DR. ordered.  At this point I don't care, so I just tell them to bring me something. They never do. But I will come back to that.
My Dr comes in a few minutes later and the first thing is says is "So they tell me that you refuse to walk and won't do the breathing treatments."  !@##%#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am  livid! I told him that was not true at all I've done everything they have asked of me I had a breathing treatment this morning and I walked all day yesterday and as much as I could today.
He walks out of the room then comes back a few minutes later and says "Do you want to leave?"
Yes of course I do, I am fed up with the evil lying nurse and food laced with Splenda. We talk for a bit then he decides to let me go, collapsed lung and all. 

Sorry this was so long, but this was just an awful experience. I know some people had had great hospital experiences, but I was not lucky enough to be one of them and I really just needed to vent. OTHERWISE... my pain is much less, I haven't had a problem keeping anything down, I can eat or drink about 4 oz in an hour before I start to feel uncomfortable. I am not hungry at all, I am not even thirsty. I did gain 3 lbs in the hospital but oh well.

sonyagettinghealthy
on 6/4/11 8:32 am - CA

Wow. So sorry all that happened to you. Hope your recovery goes quickly now.

wanttobehalfofme
on 6/4/11 8:50 am - MI
What a horriable hospital. I hope you plan on talking to the Director of nursing and the hosp. adminstrator about this. Makes you wonder if the nurse was trying to score some pains meds.
Herbie55
on 6/4/11 8:56 am - MI
Wow! I think you should post the name of that hospital so that anyone else is aware of what they might be in for. I myself almost had a similar experience when I went for preop testing the day before surgery and was told I didn't need any testing. The morning of surgery they wanted to know about my preop tests and I told them there hadn't been any. They said they couldn't do surgery without it and proceeded to draw several vials of blood. I was already being wheeled into surgery before they sent the blood off for testing. Makes you wonder how some of these places stay open!
BriarRose
on 6/4/11 9:08 am
e-mail or write to the director of nursing, and to the dietary department head, and to the patient care coordinator. I would be livid.

I can't say that I got stellar care in hospital post-op, but I got good enough care, with competent, if not very busy nurses, who did respond appropriately to requests and to my physical needs and care. That kind of care that you describe is irresponsible on the part of the hospital.

The rest of your recovery should seem like a dream !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
metime
on 6/4/11 9:24 am - chesapeake, VA
Holy CRAP !!! so sorry for this where did yo have the surgery ?

jennifersmithee
on 6/4/11 9:27 am - Farmers Branch, TX
This is what makes it REALLY bad. I used to work for this hospital, Baylor Medical Center at Carrollton before they became "Baylor" it used to be called Trinity Medical Center. I quit shortly after Baylor took over as I was not impressed with them. I have become to think of Baylor as "good for patients bad for employees". After this experience I will have to change that thinking.
I had my youngest daugther here, and my husband and 2 other children have had surgeries and everything was great! So anything negative that I have to say about it this hospital applies ONLY TO THE BARIATRIC PROGRAM.

My mother who is an RN held a highly visible position at this hospital up until Novemeber 2010 before moving on to another job after Baylor cut her hours and pay by 20% yet still expected her to keep doing the same job with the same standards.

My mom knows everyone there, so yes a formal complaint was filed. The nurse today who lied to both my mom and Dr. apoligized to me but it was very forced. My doctor was great, not all the nurses were bad, but I will say that the first nurse I had told me that her supervisor said she "cant be nice to those patients".  Can you guess who "those patients" are?

onmywaytoskinny
on 6/4/11 9:33 am - Texas, TX
I am so sorry. Wow! Please tell me the hospital. I am having mine at Wise Hospital and I would like to know if it's them so I can be ready for the BS!

jennifersmithee
on 6/4/11 12:21 pm - Farmers Branch, TX
I did not have my surgery at Wise Regional so you can breathe now. With that said I have learned a few things that I would do differently had I known...

1) I would have called the insurance company, the Doctors office and the hospital about a couple days prior to just to make sure we where all on the same page - AND I would have brought my approval paper with me.
2) I would have been more vocal with my needs, concerns, and plans with my care team - especially my nurse(s). I would have made sure my nurse knew everything I did such as when I walked the halls or did my breathing excersies, etc.
3) I would have brought my instructions from my physicians office with me so that I could discuss them with the dietician and have a better understanding (the hospitals bariatric program is not always the same as you physicians!)
4) I would have planned on having someone with me the whole time, I was more or less alone and drugged up so there are lots of things I missed. Plus the nurses are busy and sometimes not so nice, I wished I would have made arrangements to have my husband with me the whole time.

VSGbyACEVES
on 6/4/11 10:25 am - UT
You may find this post valuable in the next few weeks--best wishes to you.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4395615/I-ask-my-food-coach-about-getting-into-solid-foods-too-fast/
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 185 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 453 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 482 views