One year ago...

OnederlandHereICom
e

on 6/7/11 11:25 am
 I was sitting here tooking at the Before and After pictures, and wondering if it would ever be a possibility for me.

Today, I look in the mirror and although I am not to goal, I cannot believe what I see.  More than that, I can't believe how I feel.

Every pound that has come off has taken with it a little of the self-doubt and self-loathing that I carried around with me for years.

I've discovered I actually like "me" - with all my flaws, I am really OK.  

That is as much of a miracle as the weight loss.  Oh yearh the weight loss... I've gone from a 4X top to an XL and an occaisional L.  I've gone from a size 32 jeans to a size 14.  (yeah a tummy tuck is in my future I think)... and in dresses from a 32 to a 14 or 16 depending on the cut. 

I was too big to shop in department stores and even Lane Bryant.  Catherines and Avenue were my choices.  Now I shop at Ross and on the clearance racks at Macys and Dillard.  

I was in a size 50D bra.  This weekend I discovered I am in a 38D.

My hypertension and diabetes has been gone since I left the hospital;  now my sleep apnea has resolved and I no longer need my CPAP.  My doctors are pretty happy needless to say - it was hilarious when my PCP  told me "it's doctors like your surgeon who put family doctors like me out of business - they cure you and you're not sick anymore"  LOL he was joking - he was supportive and encouraging as I began the journey towards WLS - and he kept nudging me until I finally went through with it.

A year ago I couldn't walk from the parking lot to Walmart - my husband had to drop me at the door.  Now I walk 4 miles a day and really need to increase that because it really takes very little effort.  My passion is Zumba - I love it.  A year ago I couldn't even dream of it.

It's a whole new world.  Looking back at 3 months, 6 months, and so on - each stage I thought it couldn't get better.  Then it does.

Miracles do happen. 

I'll post before and after photos next week on my anniversary.

I'm overwhelmed and humbled by this experience.  

I don't even know what else to say.

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the support over the last year.  It has been priceless.

Like the butterfly,  I have the strength and the hope to believe 
In time I will emerge from my cocoon... Transformed. Kirsti A. Dyer, MD, MS

BuckeyeGirl
on 6/7/11 11:30 am - TN
Wow, what an amazing year you've had.

Good-bye hypertension! Good-bye CPAP! and Good-bye diabetes!

Congrats,
Lindsey

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/11 11:33 am
Wow, what a year!!

You sound like you are enjoying every minute of it too! Congrats on the wonderful successes so far! More to come I'm sure :)
sleeve genie
on 6/7/11 11:38 am - Alhambra, CA
Wow,  what a great year you have had,   It sounds like you worked very hard and i'm so happy for you.  Happy Surgiversary,  absolutely amazing results,  good for you ,  enjoy the fruits of your labor :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

GiGi W.
on 6/7/11 12:23 pm
What a BEAUTIFUL post! Thank you for sharing this, I loved every word of it. This encourages me to keep on, and keep being patient with this process.

I can't wait to see my toes!

Congratulations on the new YOU. Your happiness shines through in your post
OnederlandHereICom
e

on 6/7/11 12:28 pm, edited 6/7/11 12:28 am
Oh yeah there's nothing more awesome than polishing toes for the first time in years.

Well, maybe seeing the c-section for the first time and the appedectomy scar for the first time in 3 decades. Scary!

Thank you!

Like the butterfly,  I have the strength and the hope to believe 
In time I will emerge from my cocoon... Transformed. Kirsti A. Dyer, MD, MS

VeraG
on 6/7/11 11:18 pm - Bonner Springs, KS
Good for you!!!!  Congrats!

Living until I die!

Ms Shell
on 6/8/11 3:30 am - Hawthorne, CA
It's testimonies like yours that make everything all worth it....congratulations!

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

sublimate
on 6/8/11 4:42 am - San Jose, CA
Please share your tips.. you have been amazing success! What are you eating, what exercise, things you've learned, etc.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views