SLEEP --- How to break a stall !!!!

BriarRose
on 6/21/11 2:29 am

I admit it.  I'm not a good sleeper.   I'm a world class Jewish momma.  I worry at night.  I worry about my kid, I worry about finances, I worry about my elderly father.  I worry about deadlines at work, I worry about not losing weight on 'schedule'.   I worry about not sleeping well, I worry about worrying too much.....

And I go on "not sleeping jags" where I just can't sleep well.  Up every couple of hours, or even every half hour; or can't fall asleep at all.  And as a single mom, I won't take something to knock me out -- I worry too much that someone might need me ---kid, Dad......

And I've been on the "no sleeping jag" for a week.  Also only about half a pound or less weight loss in that week. 

Finally slept last night.  Out by midnight -- and didn't have to get up early this am, slept til 8am.  Scale down just over a pound. 

Sleep is a very good thing. 

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Jeanne T.
on 6/21/11 2:37 am

Yes it is.  I love sleep too.  But it does elude me sometimes too.  I think it's partly due to my age though.  Oh well just makes me appreciate sleep all the more.  Glad your sleeping and losing.
what a great combination!

Jeanne

gonersmom
on 6/21/11 2:49 am
Yup...all the latest studies show that people who have sleep issues are at risk for obesity. They say a minimum of 8 hours is needed for some hormones to work properly. So could someone run a test to figure out how to shut the brain down so this Jewish Mama doesn't worry all night too?? LOL

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
wert
on 6/21/11 2:58 am - MN
Last fall after I started on my CPAP I dropped 7 pounds almost overnight. Hadn't had surgery yet, either.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while -sleeping 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

livingskinny
on 6/21/11 3:58 am - NC
Wow, it sounds like to me your worrying about everything and everybody else, except for the person who needs it YOU! Who is worrying about you, who is taking care of you??
Probably no one, you expect to take care of you, I tell you from what I am reading that is no way to live your life.  You have to let go of some of this.  It's not like your going onto a deep sleep, and won't hear anything.  But you seriously need to think about taking a Tylenol PM or something mild OTC.  You need your rest in order to lose weight, you can not continue on this way.

I'm sorry to sound like I'm fussing, but I am a nurse, I have been around a lot of stuff and seen things, and sleep deprivation is not good, and neither is worrying about things you CAN NOT change. Maybe try reading a good book before you go to bed, or while your in bed, and drink a warm glass of milk...sleep tight.

LynMac35
on 6/21/11 4:03 am
Thank you for posting this - I haven't slept well all week and only had a 1 lb. loss. and was feeling pretty discouraged today.

I'm going to go take a nap now - sleeping those pounds away!  lol :)

HW 355/ Pre-Liquid Diet 324/DOS 311/Current 212/Goal 140
BriarRose
on 6/21/11 4:07 am
Yes, and thank you to livingskinny. You are so right. I do have to take better self care.....and that was what this surgery was about -- me. Me time. Tough to figure out where I am in all this, and as a mental health professional, I should know better !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
DragonGirl
on 6/21/11 5:24 am - MN
Many people I know take Melatonin for help to get to sleep. It's a natural occuring chemical our own body's produce and there aren't any nasty side effects. You can find it at health food/ natural remedy stores. You may even be able to find it at your local pharmacy.

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 308 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 355 views