So this is what it's like to be Sleeved...

Rouxful
on 6/20/11 7:28 am
So I got sleeved on Saturday morning, here in Mexico. I woke up from surgery to a hellish nightmare of sheer agony. My shoulders and back burned with having been contorted in an uncomfortable position during the procedure and I was extremely nauseous. I seriously, as a grown man, nearly wept as I begged the nurses for medication.

They finally let me drink liquids today, 48 hours later. I'm eating Jello, Juice, chicken broth, and water. It feels strange. Each gulp makes me feel bloated and burpy, like I've had too much to eat. But I haven't felt anything terribly unpleasant yet.

One thing they never told me about was this awful drainage sac haning from sutures inside my belly. I can't shower or sit on the can with this thing on and I'm counting the hours until I'm discharged tomorrow. Today, I decided to borrow a scale from the nurse's station and was distressed to see that my weight has not changed since I flew down here, even after three days of fasting. Maybe I'm retaining fluids? 

Anyway, that's my progress update. I'll be out of the hospital tomorrow with any luck and into my hotel room. I can't wait.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

Laurie M.
on 6/20/11 7:34 am - KS
I hope you are feeling better soon. It is no fun to be in extreme pain. I hope you will become comfortable very soon and back home. Until then take care and know I will be sending prayers your way!

Rouxful
on 6/20/11 7:40 am
 Thanks. I'm doing much better today. If I can just get the IV out of my arm and the drainage bulb out of my side, and a nice long hot shower, I'll be feeling like a million pesos. 

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

lucy2e
on 6/20/11 7:41 am - Laurel, MD
The drain really sucks!  It will all soon pass and you'll start feeling a little more normal!  Congrats on your sleeve - and yes - they've been pumping you full of fluids with the iv, so you have water weights - it will drop quickly.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Jessi Bates
on 6/20/11 7:42 am - Canada

Most times you do not loose weight when you have surgery. Give it time after you get home ok. You will loose that is for sure. Congratulations. My surgery in Mexico is being done on June 22nd,2011 You did the right thing, you should be proud of yourself and don't worry that you have not lost anything in the hospital. Ok

Jessi Bates   
06/22/11 - First Day of My Life Thanks To Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon TJ Mexico      
(deactivated member)
on 6/20/11 7:44 am
 The first few days are miserable, you've had surgery and a belly full of stitches. You have IV fluids in you and have tons of water retention. Your real weight will be easier to figure out when you get home. You have to walk a ton to get rid of the gasses (shoulder pain causer). Your anesthesia affects wear off in 3-5 days.

HANG TIGHT!! It gets infinitely better once you get home. :::bighug:::
BriarRose
on 6/20/11 7:44 am
Have the nurse pin the drain to the inside of your hosptial gown, that way it won't hang there. You are being pumped full of fluids from the IV. Many of us gain weight in the hosptial from all the IV fluids. Chill out....another week and the water weight will be gone.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Kristy R.
on 6/20/11 7:46 am - Santa Clara, CA
 You can absolultey expect to retain weight or even gain, which happens to a lot of people.  Myself included.  I am sorry you are having a rough time of it.  This isn't what it really feels like to be sleeved, this is what it feels like to have surgery - ;)
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Smardeepants
on 6/20/11 7:57 am

Don't worry too much about the scale right now... If you're like me, you may gain a bit more (water weight) when you fly. I swell like a water balloon... I gained 10lbs in 12 hours (!!!) of fluid when I flew from CA to OK in May.

Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon! 

Jacquie0120
on 6/20/11 8:53 am - Manorville, NY
 my gown in the hospital had a little pocket for my drainage tube and when I got home, I attached it to a lanyard around my neck.  I have it until Wed. so i feel your frustration.  You'll feel so much better once you get out of hospital!