Pain Expectation & water intake & misc rambles, 6/21 surgery

sleevegirl
on 6/23/11 8:55 am - Austin, TX
I knew there would be pain involved, but man... I'm starting to wonder if this is normal. All of my incisions are pretty high on the top "roll" of my double belly. There are six of them. They don't really hurt or anything, a little tender maybe.

BUT on the right side of my body, under them on the bottom of that top roll. OMG. Everytime I try to stand up or sit down, it's like a searing hot pain that runs through that muscle or whatever. It's pretty bad. I'm putting a pillow over it, which helps just a little, if at all. I called the surgeron's office and she took down my pharmacy information, but the office is closed now. Trying to decide if I should wait in case he was in surgery himself or if I should call the emergency number. I'm only on 7.5/500 lortab liquid, it's not even touching it at this point.

I'm doing okay with the water, I can take a decent size drink, but no big gulp or anything. It kinda burps/burbles back up but I'm not tossing cookies or anything. I'm not hungry at all. Sitting up is the only thing that doesn't hurt (laying down is like torture because I guess I use those muscles). Walking around jiggles that muscle around which hurts, but I'm trying to force myself.

ARGH! I know this is probably normal, but why in the world does it hurt so much over there? I'm not even sure why it would hurt on that side that low. Hmmm... Ugh.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Chimere
on 6/23/11 9:24 am
LOL Sleevegirl you so remind me of Kellawanda.  On her vid she said , *who ever said this doent hurt lied*  thats not verbatem she had a funny way with words. 

Did they give you something to put around your waste like a compression bandage?  Im not sure they do that just curious.

Luck hope they call you back soon.

sleevegirl
on 6/23/11 9:54 am - Austin, TX
I'd be totally cool with it hurting, but this is like my entire stomach is being sliced open with a hot knife. No one called back before they closed, I feel asleep so I called back again and the doctor answered himself (love that!) and he called in some Celebrex. I dunno what that is, but if it will help, I'll take it. At least until this weird searing hot pain goes away. Pain I can handle, but this is just way above my threshold - and goodness knows I have a pretty good high threshold of pain.

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

cindibarre
on 6/23/11 10:24 am - Danforth, ME
Sleevegirl-

Celebrex is an anti-inflamatory in the NSAID family.  I'd keep dosing myself with the lortab and try a heating pad.  Take everything they give you and rest between your sips and walking.  Rest  helps the healing process.  Good that your surgeon answered the call and was sympathetic to your pain.

Hope to join you in August.

Cindi

HW - 351 SW 0 342  SurgW - 298!  1st. Seminar July 2010 Surgery  August 1, 2011  
angieb77
on 6/23/11 10:26 am - Blaine, MN
Try putting an ice pack on your belly.  That helped me a lot.  My belly was very sore and tender after surgery.  It does get better I promise.  I put a bunch of soft pillows around me and sat in a livingroom chair.  That helped a lot.  Rest when you can.  Keep sipping and I know it may be painful but walk as much as you can.  It could be gas pains you are experiencing.  They pump us so full of gas during the surgery.  Gas-x has strips that dissolve on your tongue.  Walking and gas-x can help relieve any gas pains.  Hang in there.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

sleevegirl
on 6/23/11 10:30 am - Austin, TX
Thanks everyone... I'm not 100% sure on the Celebrex after reading, but he's the doctor. I think I'm going to walk and try not to wince and try a heating pad first. But it's BAD. Like I said, it's like a hot knife being drawn across my stomach. Ugh.

sleeve genie
on 6/23/11 10:58 am - Alhambra, CA
Hey sweetie, i'm sorry you are having a hard time of it.  For me the first two weeks were the worst.  After that it gets much better.   I just wanted to mention that i have read and heard that if you are going to take nsaids that you should take it with a ppi.  Are you taking that? most vsg surgeons tell you to take one for the first months.  It helps protect your new tummy.   Hope you feel better real soon :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

sleevegirl
on 6/23/11 11:15 am - Austin, TX
Yes to the PPI and I'm not taking the celebrex... there's a chance it will react with my sulfa drug allergy. Sigh, I forgot to mention when I called after hours. I'm just going to try to deal with it tonight. Sigh.

redsnapper1975
on 6/23/11 12:51 pm
Hang in there, sleevegirl.  I had a lot of pain too, but it will subside.  My pain was also much worse on the right side.  I was told that was the incision that the stomach was removed through and tha*****pically is the most painful spot.
~ Kim

its4maya
on 6/23/11 3:56 pm - Cypress, CA
 Hi Sleevegirl,
I'm here to commiserate with you....I have six tiny incisions and the pain meds they sent me home with just knocked me out (liquid Tylenol 3 w/coedine).  I have one in particular that is a real nag and pulls on some serious muscle which causes pain.  I'm having a heck of a time getting comfy anywhere but today was better than yesterday so I know there's hope.  I forgot all about the heating pad and ice packs; that might really help.  There's no way I am getting in all my water and clear liquid protein...I'm so over all that sipping but I guess sipping is the wave of the future for us!
Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views