Getting Cold Feet

Maggie71
on 7/2/11 12:31 am - MI
I was so excited to get through all the paper work relatively fast and a surgery date of July 13th... now people are telling me not to do it.... You can do it without the surgery!  Well, I guess if I could  I would have.  My immediate family extremely supportive, but the extended are a little thrown by the whole thing.  Did anyone else feel like this?  A little scared, a little like...maybe I shouldn't do it??  My son is also struggling with his weight and I want him to do this as well.  I think that's why I'm getting all the flack.

maggie

Dawnie 88
on 7/2/11 12:36 am
Hi Maggie! I definitely felt like i should just wait and try it again on my own..but really give it 100% try..BUT..I knew I was kidding myself.  I could not have done this without the help of my sleeve.  I had 100% support from everyone..but even if I hadn't..I needed to do it for me..no matter who else approved.   I was scared..but I just pushed through that fear knowing my life would be so much better with losing the weight.  I am so much healthier already..off all my med's for diabetes and high blood pressure.  The best decision I ever made..yet one you have to make for yourself..and only for yourself..

By the way..noticed you are from Michigan..myself and another forum member are putting together a Michigan meet-n-greet..in Augus****ch the forum for details soon!! You'd be more than welcome to come and visit with all of us and ask questions

Maggie71
on 7/2/11 1:11 am - MI
Thanks Dawnie,

You are right about it being my decision and I do believe it will be fine.  I am having people tell me all the possible things that can go wrong... Like I didn't already know that.
I would love to join the Michigan Meet and greet.  Keep me informed and thanks so much for your comments.
(deactivated member)
on 7/2/11 12:38 am
 You're a very smart cookie. If we could have done this without surgery we wouldn't be here. They don't understand how our bodies work yet but it is very clear that for some of us the traditional methods just don't work.

Ignore others and think about YOU and what you want and need. I wanted to be healthy. I did this surgery for me and I havent regretted a second. I haven't been this weight in 4 years. In one month I lost 4 years worth of gain and it keeps dropping. Holy ****

Don't worry about talking to your son or your family. I really wish my dad would do it I worry so much for his health. The best thing is I don't have to say a word. He sees the weight just falling off of me and now he wants to know more Eventually I believe he is going to do this too and it makes me so happy. I want him to be around for a good long time. When folks see you lose incredible amounts of weight and keep it off they will ask and they will think wow I wish that was me. Your son will look up to you and make his decision. None of us ever asked to be big. It is a ball and chain we suffer through in life. I cut off that ball and I left it behind.

No more medical problems. I flew last week and I could cinch a regular airline seatbelt comfortable. I noticed I sweat a lot less and so many other things. God bless whoever thought of using this surgery for obesity.
Maggie71
on 7/2/11 1:35 am - MI
Thanks Jean..
I know everything you say is true... I just need to hear it once in a while from people who know and have gone through it.  Thanks so much.  This is a great board and I'm so happy to be a part of it.
Heleena33
on 7/2/11 12:43 am - Custer, WA
Hi Maggie! First, this is the greatest opportunity to get our weight under control and be in charge of our health the rest of our lives! We have to work at it even after surgery but, it will be the greatest!
If you had to jump through all those insurance hoops to get here, don't give it up!
I am paying out of my own pocket as I didn't want to play the insurance game! They dont care about our health, they look at their own bottom line. Worse thing, if a person jumps through all the hoops, may still not be approved for vsg! Could be the more conventional and invasive gastric bypass or rny!
So, you can't let other people guilt you into giving up this chance for your own happiness!
They will have their own chances if they work at it as hard as you!!
It's time to put yourself first and do what makes you feel great!
Good Luck
Helen

JULY 11, 2011 MY New Live Began    HW 295   SURG WT 266   GOAL 145
My ticker represents lbs lost from time of surgery .....after liquid IV's were gone!      

Maggie71
on 7/2/11 1:37 am - MI

Thanks so much.  I am looking forward to being on the loser's bench.  I'm glad it is going well for you.

lucy2e
on 7/2/11 12:45 am - Laurel, MD

Truth be told - you could do this on your own - we all could.  But then we would regain, just like we have many times before - and probably gained even more pounds.  Remember - you have done all the research, you picked a good surgeon, you know that this is the best way for you to lose and KEEP OFF the weight that is impacting your health!

Good luck making your decision.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Duffy563
on 7/2/11 12:53 am - Nashville, TN
 Hi Maggie, I am a little over 7 months out, have lost 125 lbs and just entered Onederland today. I had many of the concerns and fears you do. I also thought I'd die on the table or be one of those the surgery didn't work for. Time has flown and so far so good. The first few weeks are admittedly tough, but truthfully, nothing that's too hard to deal with.

I think its natural to have all these fears. I have read lots of posts just like yours over the months. I think you have to decide for yourself if its the right thing to do and not listen to those that haven't walked in your shoes. Only you know what's right for you. I'm sure those who are telling you not to do this surgery are only concerned for you (or just jealous :), but you need to listen to YOU first and foremost. 

Focus on the positive things that will result from this surgery, trust yourself and your surgical team and get ready to enjoy the ride. Its pretty amazing!

You can do this!

Linda
Maggie71
on 7/2/11 1:40 am - MI
Thanks so much and you are soooo right.  It's my time to do this before I get some real health concerns .  I really appreciate all the encouraging words from everyone on this board.
Congrats to you for such a terrific job as well.  7 months and 125 lbs...I just can't even imagine.
Thanks again.
Maggie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 316 views