Need Help with Bathroom Issues... Sorry if TMI!!!

Jessica Houston
on 7/6/11 2:49 am - Wichita, KS

I am POD 6, and have been feeling really bloated and uncomfortable (read in pain) since Monday.  I finally figured out what was causing me so much pain yesterday afternoon... NO BOWEL MOVEMENT since the day before surgery!!!! Now before surgery I suffered from IBS and went several times a day, hardly ever was I constipated.  Yesterday afternoon, I finally felt the urge and sat in the bathroom for what seemed like forever and finally !  OMG The pain in my rectum was unimaginable!!!  I feel like I could go again today but I am terrified of the pain!!!  My husband keeps reassuring me I am not taking much in so there won't be much coming out, but there something there... I just can't get it out!!! 

Any suggestions from those that are further out than me???  Daily preventative???

Jessi

HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

roundater
on 7/6/11 2:53 am - Lincoln, NE
My sister who has had the surgery says that is a common side effect. She recommends milk of magesia to help get it out. I haven't had to use it yet but hope this works for you. Let me know if I can help.
Rich Sonderegger

Caligirlgina
on 7/6/11 2:54 am - CA
My doctor told me it could be a week before I go to the bathroom and not to worry. I was with the liquids in and liquids journey the first few days! My doc said take Milk of Magnesia if you have problems with constipation.
Good luck.
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

Jessica Houston
on 7/6/11 3:12 am - Wichita, KS
I am thinking a little milk of mag is in order...  I just know my abdomen wouldn't be as sore if I could just GO!!! 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jessi
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

Mom4Jazz
on 7/6/11 3:21 am
The problem is the high protein diet. Atkins dieters have the same thing, it really isn't the surgery itself. Roundater is right that milk of magnesia will get it out. I can't drink it, so I take 1000 milligrams of magnesium.

Once you've got everything cleared out, the trick is to avoid this happening again. Here's my routine: I got a big bottle of the generic version of Colace and I take 2 every morning. I also take fiber supplements - drinks or gummies or whatever will work for you. Then, every other day I take 1000 milligrams of magnesium.
If things are moving well  I skip the magnesium, but if I have more than 36 hours without poop, that night in goes the magnesium (note - you shouldn't expect to poop every day unless you're taking fiber).

Things do get better when you are able to get more veggies in your diet. But for now, just try for preventative measures once you get things cleared up. You'll feel much better, trust me!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Crissy327
on 7/6/11 3:25 am - NC
My doc said to use Benefiber if that happened. I had my first BM since surgery yesterday too. I was constipated too. It was uncomfortable. Now today, I had my first bout of diarrhea. I guess our bodies are like WTH!! I have never eaten under 500 calories a day in my life, so I guess my body is trying to figure out how to handle all these radical changes.

Hang in there and maybe try benefiber if the milka doesn't work for you.

Keep in touch!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
livingskinny
on 7/6/11 3:41 am - NC
You might want to throw a stool softener in as well, just in case it is really hard.

Crabadams72
on 7/6/11 4:24 am - Silver Spring, MD
My trick is sugar -free jello or a kids size sugar free Italian ice from Ritas. Something about the sugar alcohols gets me everytime.

I also had my GB removed and if I eat something with fat in it I will go also.

For normal folks benefiber is supposed to be good.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Richard M.
on 7/6/11 6:02 am - OH
sound like milk of mag now. Talk with the Dr. about a stool softner or what ever he recomends.
veranda
on 7/6/11 8:29 am
I have found a tea called smooth move. It is organic and gentle and begins to work approx. 6 hours after you take. it. I found it at jewel in the coffee/tea isle. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views