How much time do you have, before you won't lose any more weight?

OldMedic
on 7/8/11 1:21 am - Alvaton, KY
From time to time, people ask that question, or one very similar to it.

And, you will see a lot of answers along the lines of:

1.  Your optimal weight loss only happens over the first 6 months.
2.  You have to get the vast majority of your excess weight off in the first 6 months, 9 months, one year, etc.
3.  That your body adjusts after a few months, and you would have to cut your calories to a really low level to maintain your weight loss.

ALL OF THOSE ANSWERS ARE SIMPLY WRONG!

I know, some nutritionists, and even some physicians tell their patients these thing.  But, I hate to tell you, but even nutritionists/dieticians and HEAVEN FORBID, even surgeons are not infallible.

In fact, all research that has been done shows that people can lose an appreciable amount of weight as long as 5 years post-op (so far, nobody has looked further out than that).

Your body does NOT adapt to a very low calorie intake level.  That is the truth.  It does tend to slow down it's weight loss, but the human body requires a certain amount of calories just to keep you alive.  If you are taking in less than that, you WILL lose weight, because your body is breaking down your fat for fuel.

So, if the rate slows down, how can you keep losing rapidly without cutting your calories even more?

The answer to that is that you must use more than the basic amount of calories needed just to keep you alive.  That's where exercise comes in.  The more you exercise, the more calories you burn off.  If you are not eating those calories, the ONLY place that you body can get them from is by burning off your body tissues.

That's why you eat a very high protein diet, to keep your body from using up your protein (muscles primarily) instead of fat.

There are a LOT of us that continued to lose just as repidly AFTER the first six months, as we did during that period.

Now, there is one factor that a lot of people do not take into account.  It takes a LOT more calories to keep a huge body going, than it does to keep a small body going.

So, as you peel off that excess weight, your rate of weight loss will decline.  That is 100% normal, and you should not worry about it.

That is also why that last 5-10 pounds is so hard to get off.  Your body has indeed adapted, because it simply does not need so many calories for its daily functioning.

But, as a person that took 16 months to get MY excess weight off, I can tell you that you DO lose after 6 months.  You DO lose after a year.  And, from talking to others, I know that you can continue to lose after 2 years and even after 3 years.

You also do NOT need to exercise like crazy.  You don't need to join a gym, run marathons, become a Tri-Athlete or anything like that.  I walked, and only walked for exercise (and that's all I do to this day).  About the only exercise that is better than brisk walking is swimming (which uses EVERY muscle in the body).

And, keep in mind thatif people like Phred (who was 70 when he lost his excess weight) and myself (who was 65 at the time of surgery) can get rid of our excess weight, then you younger folks can do it a lot more easily.

You CAN lose ALL of your excess weight if you will just work your sleeve and keep on working it.

Maryatt50
on 7/8/11 1:29 am
 THANKS for the post.  I am a little over a year out and still want to lose 10 more pounds - I will take your suggestions and up my walking and water exercises.  
BriarRose
on 7/8/11 1:36 am
Great reminder to all that it's committment to a new lifestyle that is important, not just surgery itself.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Nancy B.
on 7/8/11 1:41 am - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
Well put!  Your posts are always so thoughtful and well said.  Thanks!
-Nancy 

HW 238    Starting Weight 227   Surgery Weight 212   CW 155
Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
Susan M.
on 7/8/11 1:43 am
 Medic,
    I look forward to reading your knowledgeable posts -- they are always very informative and helpful. I totally agree with you. My daughter had lap band surgery 2-1/2 years ago and lost 150 pounds in the first year. Another 20 pounds came off in the next six months, and she wasn't working very hard to lose those.  Although her weight loss has slowed down considerably mostly because she has increased her food intake and decreased her exercise level, she has lost another 10 pounds.
   Losing weight will always take dedication and effort, but after our surgeries, we've been equipped with a wonderful tool that will help us overcome the obstacles we used to face. It's always good to hear from those of you over a year out from your surgeries and to know that the weight will come off as we continue to work at the process.
   Thanks again, Medic.

sublimate
on 7/8/11 1:48 am, edited 7/8/11 1:48 am - San Jose, CA
This is very true! I'm almost a year out and have lost 5 pounds in the last week after a month or two of barely losing. I had been struggling because I kept eating cheese and nuts which are high calorie, due to extreme stress in my life.

I decided I wanted to kick that issue so I cleared my home of nuts and cheese and have been eating almost exclusively dense protein at every meal, measured out exactly at 3 ounces, 4 times a day with 1 veggie meal and sometimes one "allowed" snack of low calorie sprouted almonds (or not if I don't feel I need it).

I've always known what I needed to do to help my sleeve along.. I just had to get my head straight and do it.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Zee Starrlite
on 7/8/11 1:57 am
Just when I thought I was doomed and would only lose the 23lbs I've lost so far in my 1 month post-op and no more.  Honest in the last few days I've been panicking that I will be one of the few that fail to lose with the sleeve.

I am a Band to Sleeve revision whose mind is playing tricks on me.  I am doing everything I should be doing and my weight loss has stalled.  Why doesn't that seem to hapen with the biggest loser contestants?  Hmmm!

So glad for your posts OldMedic!

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

newdirectionhome
on 7/8/11 1:59 am
 Thanks for the post. It was timely for me. I am over 7 months out and lost only 3 pounds in June. Then I hit a stall and couldn't break it for almost 2 weeks. Now I have lost 2 pounds in 2 days.

I was 64 at surgery and am so happy with results. Whatever work it takes is well worth it. I feel better, type two diabetes gone, and what fun to get all new clothes!
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
Ms Shell
on 7/8/11 2:05 am - Hawthorne, CA
As someone almost 4 years out.  Gained 20lbs been "trying" to lose them since January and THOUGHT well maybe this is my new SET point.  The last couple weeks I realized that MY body doesn't like carbs when I'm trying to lose even from fruit, so I cut it out and I'm down over 4lbs in the last week!

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

DrHollywood
on 7/8/11 2:12 am - Harbor City, CA
Great encouraging post!  Thank you! 

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views