carbonated drinks

Dolphinsrayne
on 7/15/11 1:02 am - MI
I am one month post op and i took a couple sips of my boyfriends caffeine free diet coke and it did not upset my stomache or anything.  Can anyone tell me why we are not suppose to have carbonated drinks?  I have several friends that have had the DS and they drink pop a year out.  Help me with this please!!!

HW:359  June 1st: 299.5 SW: 276.5     
Crissy327
on 7/15/11 1:10 am - NC
I have been wondering this too.

I never realized how many kinds of drinks were carbonated until I had the surgery.
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
laurak712
on 7/15/11 1:11 am - New Braunfels, TX
Some people say that it can stretch the sleeve, some say that the bubbles are just plain uncomfortable.  Of course we know that soda, diet or otherwise, is not good for us.  But, having said that, I was cleared by my surgeon at my 2 year check up to have diet soda occasionally.  I drink a diet root beer maybe twice a week and that satisfies me.  It does not and never has caused me any discomfort at all.  So as usual, your mileage may vary. : )

Laura

Height 5' 7

cattywompos
on 7/15/11 1:13 am
Early out ,especially, it can cause some discomfort. When I would try to drink it early out it would just bubble right back up.  Now I can sip on it just fine, don't think I could guzzle, but regular sips would be fine.  I think the most important thing is that they don't want you to drink caffeine early out while you are still healing because it thins the blood.  Caffeine (or carbonation, not sure which) can also cause ulcers, and that is not something that you want to do with a tiny tummy.  However, I too know alot of people that had WLS that drink carbonated drinks just fine...includingmyself.  My favorite alcoholic drink has sprite and I drink it just fine.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

thin1soon
on 7/15/11 3:10 am
I think more than anything, the docs are just afraid those drinks are a "slippery slope. . . "  I LOVE real Cokes, and, since I'm almost 3 years out, I usually allow myself one every week or ten days, and I will say, it's easy to let that get out of control.
thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

a.me
on 7/15/11 3:36 am - KS
i posted this same question awhile back and was inundated with NO NO posts!  Most saying that soda, especially dark colored ones, can deplete your body of calcium.  I have never had any trouble with drinking soda as far as discomfort and have to admit i've been on a "Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper thing" lately.  Try to only have one a day.  Just got really tired of crystal lite all the time.  I know i shouldn't have it that often and will try and wean myself off of it.  Soda can also cause cravings I believe i have heard somewhere... can't say for sure tho.
i would say, ask your DR.
a.me                                
JsSkinnyMom
on 7/15/11 3:46 am - Youngsville, LA
I don't know about why we shouldn't have them but I sure do miss a good coke or DP every now and then.  When I try to drink them though it hurts my stomach immediatly - too much fizz I guess.  As a treat about once a week I'll get me a Coke Icee though.  They go down beautifully and take care of the craving!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
GaryO
on 7/15/11 6:40 am
No problems here having some diet coke,,,etc.  My problem is drinking a couple and then trying to eat dinner.  This is certainly a change from pre-sleeve.  I kind of miss a few diet cokes to wash down a 1000 calories of chicken wings.....not!!!!!

ruggie
on 7/15/11 9:24 am - Sacramento, CA
I asked my surgeon about this, and he said no carbonation, coke, diet coke, water, period, for a year after sleeving.  He said long term carbonation use wlil stretch the sleeve out.  Dunno if it's true, but I'm following it.  The break will do me good.  I'm sure I'm already getting too much artifiial sweetener as it is.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

MacMadame
on 7/15/11 10:04 am - Northern, CA
I stopped drinking diet soda pre-op and now I can't stand it or any soda. So it's kind of moot for me.

But I do occasionally have times when a few sips pass my lips and I have to say that it still hurts my sleeve to this day (almost 3 years out).

Same with the carbonation in Sparking Cider.

OTOH, I've had champagne twice and it was fine.

Haven't tried beer. I don't like it enough to deal with the carbonation.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 248 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 315 views