When you say 40 or less carbs........

Cusscusscutie
on 7/14/11 9:00 pm - MA
Is that all carbs or usable carbs?????? So confused.

doggz109
on 7/14/11 9:15 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
What do you mean by usable carbs?
Cusscusscutie
on 7/14/11 9:17 pm - MA
It means you subtract the fiber from the total carbs and whatever is left is the usable carbs.

jengo1971
on 7/14/11 9:56 pm
I always subtract fiber and sugar alcohols to get my carb total at 40/or less per day.  I have been told this was an acceptable way of counting carbs for years.  This includes diabetes classes as well as multiple dietitians/NUTS.  Good luck!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
MomtoAndy
on 7/14/11 9:22 pm - Columbia, SC
All carbs!  Each and every one.  But it's up to you what you (and your doctor) what sort of plan you choose to follow.  The very low carbs has worked for me, but others have done well on higher carb plans.

Good luck!!

USAF Wife
on 7/14/11 10:16 pm
All carbs. I didn't have the time nor the energy to count "net carbs". For me, my body would burn any carbs I put in there. So, it's just what worked for me. I even counted the carbs in my chewable multivitamin.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

doggz109
on 7/15/11 1:19 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
LOL....love that last line.....and this is total mainstream medical BS.  I know a competitive marathon runner who hasn't eaten over 20g carbs a day in over a decade.  It is a myth that you NEED carbs to exercise.  Hell its a myth that you need carbs period. 

MacMadame
on 7/15/11 10:33 am - Northern, CA
On July 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM Pacific Time, doggz109 wrote:
LOL....love that last line.....and this is total mainstream medical BS.  I know a competitive marathon runner who hasn't eaten over 20g carbs a day in over a decade.  It is a myth that you NEED carbs to exercise.  Hell its a myth that you need carbs period. 

In fact, there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids (protein) but there are no essential carbs.

That said, it's hard to eat NO carb and there is no advantage to it. You'd have to eat nothing but meat and eggs. Even dairy and veggies have carbs.

I'm an endurance athlete and, except for when I'm actually out there doing endurance type stuff, I keep my carbs low. Even adding in the sports drinks, gels, etc. I still keep them under 200 g a day on average. And almost all my sports food has *some* amino acids in it. They help with performance.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Cusscusscutie
on 7/14/11 11:47 pm - MA
Thanks everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 441 views