Does my (bariatric) nutritionist know what she's talking about???

SkinnyGenes
on 7/17/11 4:27 am - MD
VSG on 05/16/11 with
Ok, so I met with my nutritionist on Friday to go over my daily intake and we had some disagreements. She wants my caloric intake at 1,200 and told me to disregard my carbs and sugar. This doesn’t seem right. I told her I was keeping to no more than 800 calories and less than 70-80 grams of carbs per day. She asked if I was getting these instructions from some “awful website" and sternly told me if I wanted to lose my hair then I should keep up with this diet. Needless to say, I’m pissed and confused. I want to be successful!  And, YES, I have noticed this diet from others on this website and the LASF guidelines – and it seems to work. Normally, I would think that a professional specializing in this area would be providing the best information but I don’t think so in this case.  I know from past experience that you need to be your own best advocate.  So my question, for those with long term success, what nutritional intake did you adhere to?
Goal 1-199 (8/7/11)          Goal 2-179            Goal 3-159           Goal 4-140                   
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 4:40 am
I am really sorry, but your nutritionist is an idiot.  I am being blunt but that is my true opinion.  First, you lose your hair because of the anesthesia and surgery, it just takes three to four months to show.  The hair loss is minimal and it all grows back. 

If you look at who has had the best and most sustained success with the sleeve, the LASF guidelines become a no brainer.  They have been doing the sleeve for 10 years.  I followed their plan exactly and reached goal in 6.5 months.  My labs were terrific with the exception of Vitamin D, which was low even before surgery.  There are so many crazy plans out there now, I would follow the tried and true LASF plan all the way to my goal. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 9:12 am
On July 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM Pacific Time, Elina_7 wrote:
I am really sorry, but your nutritionist is an idiot.  I am being blunt but that is my true opinion.  First, you lose your hair because of the anesthesia and surgery, it just takes three to four months to show.  The hair loss is minimal and it all grows back. 

If you look at who has had the best and most sustained success with the sleeve, the LASF guidelines become a no brainer.  They have been doing the sleeve for 10 years.  I followed their plan exactly and reached goal in 6.5 months.  My labs were terrific with the exception of Vitamin D, which was low even before surgery.  There are so many crazy plans out there now, I would follow the tried and true LASF plan all the way to my goal. 
 Really? You lose hair from anesthesia? I've never heard that. I've had anesthesia several times before and never lost hair. I thought the hair loss was from just not eating very much esp. protein.
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 1:51 pm
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/men/general/081.html 

That is just the fist link I found, but yes, surgery and anesthesia does cause hair loss.  Lack of protein can also cause hair loss, that is why most of our programs ask us to eat a minimum amount of protein per day.  Most people eat less protein then we are asked to eat and their hair does not fall out. 
sublimate
on 7/17/11 4:42 am - San Jose, CA
As a nutritionist myself I'd have to agree.. she's an idiot.  The only thing your body needs to have is adequate protein, vitamins, minerals and a small amount of fat (your body can burn body fat primarily for fuel and this is desirable). 

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

SkinnyGenes
on 7/17/11 4:54 am - MD
VSG on 05/16/11 with
Thanks guys.  I know what she was telling me didnt sound right.
Goal 1-199 (8/7/11)          Goal 2-179            Goal 3-159           Goal 4-140                   
Lynnww666
on 7/17/11 5:09 am - Canada
IMHO some nutritionists who don't work a lot with bariatric patients are not all that helpful and I have been lucky as my surgeon works with a specific nutritionist who deals with all their patients and has great info.
Perhaps your surgeon can suggest one?
And while we're on the topic, what are the LASF guidelines? I tried googling it with little success. I've never heard of it before, perhaps because it's something more specific to US and I'm in Canada?
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

queen R.
on 7/17/11 5:21 am - enid, OK
I never heard that term before either.

Birdie55
on 7/17/11 5:47 am, edited 7/17/11 2:18 pm
 Here is an online copy of the LAPSF guidelines.  Dr Paul Cirangle is the surgeon and his website is www.lapsf.com

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguide vged42006feb.pdf

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Laurie M.
on 7/17/11 5:48 am - KS

We place all of our patients on a liquid protein diet for two weeks after surgery. This helps to prevent complications by allowing your stomach to heal before it is stressed with more solid food items. After two-three weeks patients progress to a softer diet and eventually regular food items. The diet is high protein (70 grams/day), low fat (30 grams/day) and low Carbohydrates (40 grams/day). The total calories/day starts at about 400-500 and by the end of the first year most patients are consuming about 1000-1200 calories per day of regular foods. Intolerance of some food items will exist for most patients. You will eventually learn how many calories/day you can consume to maintain your goal weight. This varies between men and women, amount of exercise and your height. Some of our taller, male patients consume up to 2000 calories per day and still maintain their weight.

The 30 page Diet Guide we provide you with prior to surgery will help guide you through the postoperative phases of eating

Dr. Cringle's website

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views