newbie seeking suggestions

Lynnww666
on 7/17/11 5:13 am - Canada
Hi,
I'm slated for surgery July 28 (can't wait) amd am currently on my liquids only pre-op. I find the protein shakes go down lots easier with some fruit in them (I generally use berries to get most nutrition and fewest carbs).
I know after surgery, at least for a couple of weeks, all those tiny berry seeds would be a bad idea so I'm wondering what other fruit some might have used that's not too high in carbs but has a strong enough taste to make the protein drinks more pleasant. The chocolate one are OK on their own, but after trying about 10 different powders and liquids I have yet to find one that's really tasty.
Do I just have to suck it up and deal? Or are there suggestions from anyone?
Thanks,
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

dec721
on 7/17/11 5:29 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
For most of our post-op eating plans, fruit is waaaaay down the road.  Too high sugar and high carb.  What is on the post-op eating plan your surgeon recommends?  My experience is that if you don't follow your surgeon's plan to a tee the first six months or so, you will not be as successful with your weight loss ... and you may set yourself up for cravings.

Start another post and entitle it something like "recommendations for post-op protein shakes," or something like that.  Folks will chime in with their favorites.  Best wishes!
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Lynnww666
on 7/17/11 8:30 am - Canada
Well the plan given to me by the nutritionist that works with my surgeon includes a shake that 1/2 cup of berries in it prior to surgery and I got the impression that after the surgery I would continue with these shakes.
I'd better clarify with her just to make sure I didn't hear what I wanted to hear.
Thanks,
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

dec721
on 7/17/11 8:58 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I don't want to be an alarmist or a know-it-all, but some folks have found that the nutritionists who work with the bariatric surgeons really do NOT know about nutrition following bariatric surgery!  If I were you, I would check out the LASF eating guidelines (Dr. Paul Cirangle's office -- he is the US surgeon who has been doing the sleeve longer than anyone and has a very detailed eating plan), or I can recommend Dr. Alvarez's plan, my surgeon.  I'm sure if you emailed his office at endobariatric.com they would be glad to send you a copy of Dr. A's plan.  The only reasons I'm concerned are a) hardly any of us are allowed fruit until we are way post-op; and b) someone earlier today posted about their nutritionist's really dumb advice.  Anyway, do your research, and you will know exactly what to eat, even if your nutritionist doesn't :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

disabled_nurse
on 7/17/11 11:17 am - Bogalusa, LA

3 weeks after surgery I started putting blueberries, or strawberries and a half banana in my protein shake, or I would put it in my coffee, or use the choc flavor in s/f hot choc....................... I have lost 180 pounds so far, I kept my carbs including the fruit to below 40gr per day.

roundater
on 7/19/11 1:03 pm - Lincoln, NE
Agreed - check out Dr. CIrangle's nutrition plan. My sister is a patient of his and says the plan is awesome.
Rich Sonderegger

wert
on 7/19/11 1:19 pm - MN
Yes, first check with your surgeon to see if he/she provides a post-op eating plan. Fruit and vegetables was nowhere on my food list until 3 months out.

Then, check these out. You can find more by using Google.

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguidevged42006feb.pdf

http://www.laplose.com/Media/Forms/SleeveDietGuide.pdf

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views