Moment of panic... help

Lynnww666
on 7/21/11 12:52 am - Canada
Set to be sleeved July 28, gritting my teeth and getting through my two weeks of liquid only without gnawing on any passing strangers (... well... so far, anyhow) and feeling generally positive about it all.
But.....
Suddenly panicking, suddenly feeling like I should give this up and just go back to dieting and exercise. I mean I already lost 50 pounds that way in the past 7 months so surely I could do it all that way?? And then at a WLS support group meeting another member (RNY patient) kept hinting that sleeve wasn't enough, RNY was better and that if in the end I didn't loose enough, I'd have to go back on the lo-o-o-ng waiting list to get an RNY.
Is she right? Is the sleeve enough when I weigh nearly 300 pounds? Is any of this surgery the right answer? Can I actually spend my whole rest of my life eating 1/2 cup of food at a time?
Trying to keep upbeat as I know good attitude is important, but honestly, I'm getting a little panicked here.
Any thoughts? Words of wisdom? Answers? Anything??????
Thanks,
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

diamondranch1
on 7/21/11 1:02 am - San Felipe, Mexico
OK Welly! I went from 187 lbs to 110 lbs in 6 mos and as you get farther down the road you will be able to eat 1/2 cup of food plus more depending on how often you eat. Don't let people change your mind now, each person is different and I can't speak about anyone else but myself. You will "rock" your sleeve and you will also look at other peoples plates and can't imagine you ever filled a plate like that. Then you will look in the mirror! Mirror Mirror on the wall...............Alycat & I are very excited for you..........and the msp covered it!!!!You will not be happy cancelling!!!!! Call me on my cell today if u like!
MomtoAndy
on 7/21/11 1:05 am - Columbia, SC
It will be plenty for you!  You'll be perfectly happy eating smaller portions.  Think of the money you'll save!!  I was wayyyy over 300 lbs to begin with, and it's been a true blessing to me to be able to reclaim my life and health.

You won't be sorry!!!

emelar
on 7/21/11 1:13 am - TX
We've all successfully lost weight with diet and exercise - and we've all put it back on, along with its friends and relatives.  Diet and exercise alone only work long-term for about 1-3% of the morbidly obese, so the odds are against you.

As far as RNY goes, go to this post

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4428022/The-surgeon-doesnt-want-to-sleeve-me/

and read the responses, particularly USAF Wife's which is detailed and complete on why you don't want the RNY.

Deep breath and ...... exhale!
USAF Wife
on 7/21/11 1:38 am
Don't let one person's opinion sway you into another surgery. Grant it, I know a couple of long term RNY patients that are successful, but the ones that I read about on the revision forum, and failed weight loss surgery forum, made me realize that RNY was NOT the surgery I wanted to live with for the rest of my life.

I started my VSG journey at 263lbs, standing only 5'2" tall, so my BMI was right at 48-49. Here I am 2 years out, thriving, 6 months pregnant, zero food issues, zero medication restrictions, and seriously couldn't be more ecstatic.

You might want to share with that RNY lady, (who I'm assuming is no more than 1 year out from her surgery) that her lovely malabsorption of calories/fats and carbs is going to stop, and then she'll be the one dieting yet having to take double the vitamin regimen that we have to take because for the rest of her life she's going to malabsorb those vital vitamins/nutrients/minerals. I really hate when people say "RNY is better because of this XX factor". Every one of the surgery choices has a hype period, when everyone is losing weight, and not having any issues, and not struggling with regain, or complications. I loved my band for the first 2 months, then complications really set in. And, I was ready to divorce that asshole by the 4th month. Grant it, I was living with puking on water some days, and had chronic pain because of my port issues, but my quality of life was in the ****pot because of the band.

Oh, and I definitely DO NOT eat just a 1/2 cup of food. I eat a very varied, and nutrient dense diet with indulgences along the way. I wanted a surgery that allowed me to live the most normal life possible. Yeah, my portions are smaller than my naturally skinny ***** girlfriends, but I'm still eating nachos, sushi and pizza with them when we go out. I don't have any forbidden foods, or foods that aren't "pouch" friendly.

Do I have to be mindful of what I put in my mouth? Damn skippy. Am I dieting, or not eating the foods that I absolutely adore? Nope, not at all. It's a very personal choice, but I can tell you 100% that you can lose your excess weight with the sleeve, you can maintain your loss, and you can enjoy life post-op.

As for losing it on your own, I was a pro-dieter. I could lose weight like a champ, then that crazy thing called LIFE would happen, and I'd gain it back. Over a decade, I gained and lost the same 400lbs, I'd lose 60, gain 40 back, lose 10, gain 15, up and down, back and forth, depriving myself of a normal life all the while still buying clothes with the big fat W after the number sizing. So, my point is, that having surgery is NOT only about losing weight, it's about finding success long term, with the least amount of complications, and being able to keep it off.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Father Don
on 7/21/11 1:45 am - Charleston, SC
Short and sweet:

1.  We ALL ahve gone through the last week/2 week panic..."buyer's remorse" before surgery...

2.  Everyone who has surgery thinks "theirs is the best - the rest have problems".  You have to make the decision for yourself and what's best for you.  If you're truely informed, you'll be comfortable in your decision.  It's like those that approach you and say "A friend of a friend of a friend had surgery and now they've gained ALL their weight back"  And they can't even give you the name of the person....

3.  In the end - it's YOUR decision.  Be informed, and you can reply to "my surgery is THE best one" with facts instead of opinions like they do...

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

DrHollywood
on 7/21/11 2:13 am, edited 7/21/11 2:14 am - Harbor City, CA
my highest weight was 250 and now I am 168.7 and still losing. I am 5 months
and 3 weeks  out. This is the most normal surgery to have. our body absorbs vitamins.
There are ALOT of unsuccessful RNY patients like any other WLS.
Any WLS surgery is a tool, we still have to deal with our head.  You can do
it.   You want to be able to absorb vitamins especially for your later years.
its important.  You dont want the lack of vitamin and minerals complications later
in life.  We dont know what they are until you get there.
Its normal to think am i getting thr right surgery.   You just have to make sure you
are ok with your decision. You are the one who has to live with it.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/21/11 2:53 am
You are nervous so almost anyone can say anything to you and panic you. Of course the RNY patient is pushing RNY.  Duh.

Check out BillieF - just posted a few minutes before you. If someone can lose 347 pounds in 15 months and over 300 of that in a year, surely VSG is a good tool. JimboVSG has lost over 330. SuperRn also lost hundreds.  Plenty of people have been successful after starting well over 300 or 400 pounds. Bottom line you can lose all of your excess weight with VSG. You just have to work your tool which is true of all WLS.

Of course you are nervous. Its a major surgery and a major life change.  But you need to trust your research. Youd didn't enter into this lightly. 
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 3:02 am
Oh let's see.. my "biggest" one time loss was 153lbs on my own.. did I maintain it- NOPE! 
I didn't because I couldn't white knuckle the constant hunger and need to eat long term while working out hard.. the more we work out- especially weight training, the more our hunger increases.. so me doing one to keep the weight at bay only increased my already strong urges to eat.

Here's a great transcript of a recent ASMBS meeting to read on your way to getting whichever surgery fits you best, please give it a read:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the- Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

Personally, if I wanted malabsorbtion I would go for the DS, if you have not read up on it- please do, it's best to know about all the surgeries before you go under. Get the right one for you the first time out! I personally would under no cir****tances want the RNY.

I figured with my ability to lose- the sleeve was enough for me. I can tell you, though they say they don't operate on your head- so far (and yes, I'm a newbie) my cravings, and constant desire to eat have for the most part disappeared. This surgery at least for me did much more than make me able to be full and satisfied (yes, really satisfied) on a tiny amount of food. You don't get that with all of the surgeries.. it's a nice added bonus.

Lori B.
on 7/21/11 3:11 am
Hey Lynn,

It's MORE than possible to lose that amount of weight. This time last year I was 286.5 and now I'm at 172.5.

RNY will def help get the weight off INITIALLY but at what cost? There are too many possible complications down the road as well as vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Good luck!

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views