Update on DH & his Crap-Band!

Jessica Houston
on 7/25/11 4:10 am - Wichita, KS
I asked yestereday about my DH's symptoms...  He call the Dr yesterday afternoon, and today when I went in to see the surgeon for my postop visit he showed me the films from DH's Upper GI... HE DEFINATELY HAS A SLIPPED BAND!!! I will try and scan the copy he gave me and post it here later!  So the plan for now (since he is out of town on business) I made an appointment with a surgeon in Alabama for 3pm.  Our surgeon said if his symptoms got worse or did not improve in one week he had to come home and we would have to evaluate whether or not he needed to get the band taken out.  The bad part (or good part depending on how you look at it) is he has lost enough weight that he would not qualify for a revision!
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

Smardeepants
on 7/25/11 5:05 am
Oh wow, so sorry you guys are going through this! Confirms why they call it the crap-band for sure!

Hang in there, and keep us posted! 

anewdayforme
on 7/25/11 7:30 am
Oh that totally BITES!  I'm so sorry.  Prayers are headed your way.  Hang in there-- both of you!
cancelsbronx
on 7/25/11 11:07 am - Stamford, CT
Tell your husband to ask the surgeon that if he does liquids for a week or two if there is a possibility if that could be corrected (slippage).  I used to have lap band and I heard that slippage was initially addressed that way.  I had slippage once but did not want to risk having it in the future so i switched over to the sleeve, I was lucky my insurance paid for it.  If the band is removed the risk of gaining weight is inevitable..

Good luck

Santos Bronx, NY 

Amy 2bhealthy
on 7/25/11 12:17 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
My sli*****w the Dr is referring to it as a prolapse, is corrected with a complete unfill....temporarily! Once I get more fluid, it slips again. But at least so far, 3 times, the complete unfilll has corrected it. I believe my band slipped again Saturday night. I have an appt to get into my Dr tomorrow to unfill what he put in last week, so I've been on liquids since Saturday night. No fun, but sure keeps it from getting worse. Hope your husband is able to get an unfill and let it heal and perhaps his band may still be correctable. Good luck!

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Jessica Houston
on 7/25/11 12:58 pm - Wichita, KS
Yay for the surgeon in Alabama taking all of the fluid out of DH band! He said he was able to drink water with no problem after the band was deflated! Also, he just had a shake for dinner (it was a chocolate shake from McDonald's, so not the healthiest) but he wanted to be sure it would go down okay. And it did! Yay!

Thank you everyone for all your support & encouragement! I am trying to talk him into revising to the sleeve! So far he thinks he will be okay if he just has the band taken out but I am not convinced!

Will keep ya'll updated!

tripmom02
on 7/25/11 2:16 pm - NJ
 I am sorry your hubs has to go though this, especially while he is away! I hope a complete unfil will help his problem, but if he has to have his band out he will qualify for revision (even if he does not meet the "regular" qualifications for surgery). My band had to come out, and my BMI is now low enough that I would not have qualified, but b/c it's a revision my weight does not matter. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Jessica Houston
on 7/26/11 4:08 am - Wichita, KS
Thanks for the info tripmom02!  Were you revised from the band to the sleeve?  Did you have to wait a while after the band was taken out to have your revision done?

tripmom02
on 7/26/11 4:48 am - NJ
 I lost my band on Father's Day weekend, we where not sure if I was going to lose it when I went into surgery (they where going to try and reposition it) so he did not do the revision at the same time as the band removal. I am having my sleeve done on Aug 1st. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views