Gaining Weight? WHY??

candyturbo
on 7/27/11 11:45 pm
I am post-op three weeks today. I waslosing weight wonderfully up until three days ago. Then I was up a pound each morning for two days and this morning exactly the same weight as yesterday. What happened? Why did I stall?
SweetiePea
on 7/27/11 11:51 pm - IA
Think so deary....the dreaded stall...or basically a pause in your journey. Don't worry so much about the scale during this time. Be sure to take your measurements. You'll be just fine. You will also go through these stages...have alittle pateince with your system. It's trying to figure you out too.
Height - 4'10"

candyturbo
on 7/28/11 12:06 am
Yeah...the whole patience thing is not so easy for me. As long as I know this is "normal" I guess I am ok. I just LOVED seeing it come off. I had just entered "new territoy" (lowest weight in 10 years) when the stall started. SO Frustrating!
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
sleevegirl
on 7/28/11 12:23 am - Austin, TX
If it helps, I'm 5 weeks out. I stalled for 20 days at exactly 15 days. I was annoyed. I just started losing again a couple of days ago... it's coming off about a pound a day again. It will slow down as I get further out but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only woman in the world to not lose weight on an 800 calorie per day diet

It'll happen. I did good and didn't freak out or do anything crazy, but man, I was annoyed as heck!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

candyturbo
on 7/28/11 12:30 am
That's my thought exactly -- how can you NOT lose on 800 calories or less per day?? But I just tightened up on carbs (hard to do when you are on soft foods) and making sure I stay on the plan. I am encouraged that it did not go up this morning, but it is so easy to get addicted to seeing it fall off!!
amidwife4u
on 7/28/11 3:02 am
Well, from a medical perspective, the 800 calories a day is probably the exact reason for the stall.  For many, 800 calories is too little and will cause your metabolism to slow down and become accustomed to your new calorie limit.  That takes time, but once your metabolism recognizes that it is not starving, the metabolism rate will increase and you will start losing again.  I have noticed this on other weight loss programs I have done in the past.  I have not yet had my surgery, but I am concerned about the 800 calorie limit.  I know when I have ingested less then 1000 calories a day, my metabolism slowed way down, I was fatigued and lacked energy for daily activites, I lost hair because I was losing the fat pads around the little muscles around the hair follicles, and I had short term memory loss.  I do think the best thing to do is to stick to your diet.  Your body will get through this pause in weight loss. 
candyturbo
on 7/28/11 3:23 am
You are right, 800 is low, but it is all I can manage to get in in a day right now. My doctor recommends 1000 per day. I am semi-trying to get there, but without doing much exercise right now I am not as concerned with the 800. When I add exercise I have to push to the 1000 for sure! If I start losing hair, I will FIND some calories to get me there!
cattywompos
on 7/28/11 3:07 am
Water weight.  Plain and simple. My scale be-bops up and down all the time.  I have become accustomed to it, even though I still don't like to see it.  More because when it comes up then the scale isn't going down.  Don't count the ups, they are only temporary, just count the downs :)  And I wouldn't call 3 days a stall just yet.  It could happen though because about 99.9% of us stall out at around the 3 week post op mark.  Length varies.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

candyturbo
on 7/28/11 3:27 am
LOL...yeah, you're right, in perspective I guess 3 days isn't that much. It was just the sudden change that made me think "oops, did I do something wrong?" It is nice to hear it is not uncommon, especially at that 3 week mark. I know I shouldn't be on the scale daily, but it is so exciting to see the weight running away!! On another note, my ketostix are still showing ketones so I know something is still happening.

Thanks for the support! I am not in a local support group because I had my surgery two hours away from my home -- so you guys are IT!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views