antidepressants

phine_20
on 8/6/11 1:48 am - GA
I take daily antidepressants. Will I still be able to take them after surgery?
Jessica Houston
on 8/6/11 1:54 am - Wichita, KS
Should be able to... Depending on how big they are you may need to crush them or break them in half... Check with your surgeon. I was on Lexapro 20mg & it was small enough I could continue taking it!
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

Onedaysoon
on 8/6/11 1:55 am - PA
I am 9 days out and still taking mine, no problems. I have to warn you though....they would not allow me to take them in the hospital for the first 2 days after surgery and not being able to have them made me feel very, very sick to my stomach, dizzy and awful. As much as I kept telling them I needed them, they would not allow me to take them for 2 days and it wasn't pretty. So just somethng to consider if you have any side effects from stopping your meds for a short period of time.
~Carly~
~

Onedaysoon
on 8/6/11 1:57 am - PA
Also wanted to add that one of my pills is a HUGE gel cap ....wasn't sure I'd be able to swallow it...but my dr. assured me it would be fine and I haven't had any problems swallowing it or keeping it down, but that's just my personal experience.
~Carly~
~

cindydcole
on 8/6/11 2:20 am - TN
My surgeon allowed me to start taking mine the day after surgery and they are big capsules.  I've not had any problems.

julyxo84
on 8/6/11 2:43 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
Yes you should. I know all surgeons are different. But my surgeon said it was no problem to be taking my medication right after surgery.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

colelea613
on 8/6/11 3:08 am - LA
They me mine in the hospital the day after surgery.  I take 40mg of Paxil.  I have taken at home with no problem.  It is a pretty large tablet.  Nurse said if I had a problem to have the refill given to me as 20mg twice a day.

Good Luck
    Cole

LeahBea
on 8/6/11 7:18 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Do make sure you have your doctor keep an eye on dosing though, I'm now taking too much for what my body can handle and often feel very sick. Going to the doctor in the next week to have my dosing changed. Something that happens as you lose weight... So keep an eye on it.

Leah

media604
on 8/7/11 10:02 am - GA
Wierd thing is since surgery for the first time I may feel like I need an antidepressant. I am definitely not myself especially in the mornings from about 7 am - 2 pm then I start to feel a little better. My doctor did discover my estrogen has bottomed out since surgery (plus I'm 50) so we don't know if it's the estrogen or seratonin or both. He says serotinin will come down with estrogen with weight loss. So I'm supposed to go back in 2 weeks to either decide on starting some hrt or an antidepressant. I hate feeling anxious like this and not myself. I truly have never gone this long like this and feel it must be something physical like caused by the drop in estrogen.

I have decided after experiencing it this long I need to do something but am sooo afraid of side effects. The only 2 times I tried to take an antidepressant in my life they made me feel sort of drugged, sleepy, not myself. I took 1 or 2 and put them down. One was effexor the other was years ago and was zoloft. So, I don't know if there is something out there I can take with no side effects that will help me for a few months til I can pull out of this or not.

On the other hand it could all the the lack of estrogen......who knows???? I sure dont.

Advice?
1st lapband 2004, 2nd lapband 2008: HW 275, SW 268, LW 175
VSG 6-17-11 - lapband finally gone!, SW 225, Ht. 5'5"

1st Goal - 18 lbs. 20% loss of excess weight - achieved July 9th!
2nd Goal - 36 lbs. 40% loss of excess weight -
3rd Goal - 54 lbs. 60% loss of excess weight -
4th Goal - 72 lbs. 80% loss of excess weight -
Final Goal - 90 lbs. 100% loss of excess weight -
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 357 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 404 views