Relief from back pain?

Crystal M.
on 8/18/11 11:04 pm - El Paso, TX
I'm just wondering if anyone had the same problem I have (chronic lower back pain caused by a bulging disc & arthritis) before surgery? If so, how much relief did you get from your back pain after weight loss?

I don't have my surgery scheduled yet because I came down with an awful flu-like virus and have to recover before I can set the date, but it should be sometime in the next month, if all goes well.

I have been told that my back pain should be significantly relieved by weight loss, but of course it won't cure my back problems. I'm just wondering how others with this problem fared after the surgery.

Thanks.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

diane S.
on 8/19/11 2:38 am
I got a lot of relief from lower back pain after losing over 100 lbs. But I didn't have any disc problems that I know of. Just a daily lower back ache that began each afternoon so I had to get all chores done early. Now I am not limited in what I can do at any time of day. My hips and feet hurt a lot less too. I used to use lots of advil but don't need it much anymore.    Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Elaine2
on 8/19/11 3:27 am - Atlanta, GA
I have a slipped vertebrae, sciatica and degenerative lower spine....pre surgery I could barely walk around my home without holding on to the walls. Got steroid shots in my back every 2 months. Obviously, weight was a big aggravator of the problems.

Well, while they're not fixed, I swim laps, water walk and do water aerobics almost daily. I rarely use my handicapped sticker in the car. It's given me a new lease on life. No back shots since about 4 mons after surgery (down about 60 pounds). I still can't do the treadmill very much but I'm working on that slowly.

Besides the obvious weight loss changes, it's what is most noticeable---standing up straight and walking like a normal person.

walmartian
on 8/19/11 5:32 am
I have degenerative disc disease and have had sciatica in the past, horribly. Before my WLS I couldn't stand more than 20 minutes or so without my back killing me, my leg aching, and awful tingling and numbness. Now I can stand for a couple of hours or even more if I'm moving around, with maybe 'some' minor backache. I LOVE it!

Crystal M.
on 8/19/11 5:55 am - El Paso, TX
That is very encouraging, as your back problems are very similar to mine. I also have arthritis in the area of my bad disc.

I'm in a lot of pain if I even stand in my kitchen long enough to prepare a simple dinner. Weekly shopping trips to my local Walmart require prescription pain meds to get through. And the  motorcycle trip I take with my boyfriend every summer is getting intolerable, due to all the walking when we get to the rally.

I have tried everything for my back, but all the treatments have either failed or stopped working: antiinflammatory meds, physical therapy, steroid shots, radiofreqency treatments. I am SO looking forward to getting some relief.
koshermama
on 8/19/11 6:06 am
I have a bulging disc mid-back that doesn't normally bother me unless I challenge it, but with the last 20 lbs I gained I couldn't even make it to the car without the muscles in my lower back screaming in agony - I had to take a cart around the grocery to lean on even to buy one thing. I've only lost 22 and I can make it around the entire grocery store again and I can't tell you how awesome that is for me!!!

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
Crystal M.
on 8/19/11 6:20 am - El Paso, TX
Mine isn't a muscular pain. It's more of a stabbing pain when I bend over, a grinding pain when I walk, or a dull ache when standing still.
Hislady
on 8/19/11 9:43 am - Vancouver, WA
If the weight loss doesn't help ask your doc about a spinal stimulator. They don't work for everyone but mine has been a life saver! It is a small plastic gizmo that is attatched by wires to your spinal cord sheath and controlled by a remote control. I have 3 discs that are just flat worn down to nothing and surgery wouldn't fix them so this has worked wonders. Anyway another option if the weight loss doesn't help. Don't wanna have to give up riding the bike!
Crystal M.
on 8/19/11 12:07 pm - El Paso, TX
Thanks! I'll ask him.

I won't give up riding. I bought a seat for my bike that has a back rest. The riding doesn't bother me much. It's standing & walking that hurt.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views