Normal bp to high bp after surgery??

C. Champion
on 8/19/11 12:10 am - Minneapolis, MN
I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I had a normal blood pressure 120/80 before surgery. I had surgery on Monday and Monday night my blood pressure was really high 157/98 to varying degrees. They had givin me some medicine (not sure what) to get it down and it went down by Wednesday so they discharged me. Now it has been high again since I have been home. I am trying to get all of my fluids in I was about 15 sips shy of my goal yesterday. Has anyone else had this problem?
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

Lynnww666
on 8/19/11 12:34 am - Canada
My bp had been high but with meds and having lost presurgery weight it was always reading normal.
After surgery for a couple of days it read quite high... similar numbers to yours though I forget exactly how high, and the nurses then the docs all told me that post surgical high numbers are very common just due to the surgery and they would not worry unless it carried on more than a couple of days... it did not and now it's just fine once again.
Since yours has gone back up, you might want to give the doc a call. I would just to be be on the safe side.
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

George B.
on 8/19/11 12:36 am - Miami, FL
My issue was the opposite of yours. I started out with high blood pressure and ended up with normal blood pressure after the VSG.

Generally losing weight and exercise improve blood pressure.

If your pressure continues to read high see a cardiologist.

Good luck,
George

Robin W.
on 8/19/11 1:02 am - Severn, MD
Pain and stress (from the surgery) can cause BP to increase. Get yourself an automatic BP machine and keep watching it. I would also call your doctor and let him/her know.

Robin    
Smardeepants
on 8/19/11 1:59 am
I agree with previous poster, the pain and stress can cause an increase in BP.

Also, with all the fluids you were given, you've increased your circulating blood volume, which will ALSO increase blood pressure.

(Think of a garden hose that's clamped on the end... the more you increase the water, the greater the pressure inside the hose).

I would take your pain meds, drink plenty of fluids, and as soon as the fluid goes, so will the high BP.

C. Champion
on 8/19/11 3:18 am - Minneapolis, MN
I got an automatic BP machine so I can monitor it, last check it was 157 / 104 and that was after I woke up from a nap. This is freaking me out and I dont know what numbers are to high and when to call the ambulance. I talked to my surgeon and he told me to start taking my HCTZ again I was on it before surgery to keep the adema in my legs down but it had helped to lower my blood pressure. Im trying not to freak out cuz I know that will raise it up higher too but its scary. Every little twinge or pain I feel makes me nervous, I just hope the pill works and works fast!
krystals
on 8/19/11 10:34 am - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
Hey Sleeve sister, I had the same problem as you I mean identical. I always had perfect BP never had any problems, then after surgery I had pretty much the same numbers as you. It really scared me and freaked me out I seriously thought I made a mistake getting the surgery and messed my heart up. Well this was the problem I was not getting enough fluids and the more you body does not get the proper amount of fluids it begins to over compensate for what it is missing and your heart has to pump blood faster and it makes your pulse high and BP high. So if you get behind on your fluids even 15oz your body has to compensate for that. The healing process takes so much from you it's like your body is running a marathon even while you are sitting steel or sleeping.

So what I did is I started drinking Gatorade G2 and alternating with water for 24 hours no sleep just drinking. I ended up with about 90oz of fluid down. This gradually began to bring my heart-rate and BP down. I'm 5 weeks out and I'm about 127/83 now. You seriously have to get a table put nothing but fluids on it and began to drink. But start first with the Gatorade G2 to get a lot of your electrolytes in case you have a potassium deficiency and move to the water. Good luck!!

C. Champion
on 8/19/11 6:51 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I started off drinking the G2 mixed with water and thats all I drank for the first full day, then I thought maybe I was getting to much sodium from that so I switched to water. I dont know, its crazy it does make me very nervous but my doctor doesnt seem to be alarmed so I will see how things go the next couple of days!! Thanks for the reply glad im not the only one who is abnormal lol
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views