4 hour trail ride, and hiking NSV and Doctor SV

BriarRose
on 8/20/11 1:55 am
For new folks just starting out, this IS a brag....but it is also to let you know how wonderful life is 7 months out !!!

I am a 55 year old woman, 5'3".  I started out at 300 lbs.  Lost 34 pre-op, and 70 in the past 6 months since surgery.  I have severe arthritis, and will get knee replacements this year...

A year ago, on our annual camping trip, I was walking with a cane.  I sat at trailheads waiting for everyone to hike to the vista points.  I drove my car instead of using the National Parks transportation bus because the steps in the bus were too difficult to navigate.  I was miserable.

A year later.... no cane !  I took the bus eveywhere, walked with a backpack on my back, carried the niece and nephew's water bottles in addition to my own;  hiked everywhere the kids did, and had energy to spare !!! 

My best NSV though, was this:

30 years ago I was a trail guide at the National Park.  I shoveled horse poo, saddled horses, and mules, I lead up to 8 hour saddle rides.  At that time I was about 160 pounds.  I haven't been able to go riding there in 20 years, because the weight limit was 225. 

This year, I took a half day trail ride !!!  With jeans, and heavy riding boots I still came in at under 200 pounds !!! 

My knees took a beating, and I limped for days.....but darn it,  I DID IT !!!!  That ride was my personal celebration of how far I have come.  I may not be the fastest at losing the weight, but each ounce that comes off is a true celebration for me. 

Also met with my surgeon yesterday....I was worried that he would scold me for not losing more weight -- NOPE.  The first thing out of his mouth was "do you realize you have lost over 100 pounds in a year ????!!!" 

He was encouraging, and pleased.  I am over the moon thrilled with myself.  AND I lost the half a pound I gained in the week of vacation, plus another quarter of a pound !!!! 

Life is GOOD

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
MyOwnSunshine
on 8/20/11 2:11 am

Good for you! 

Your posts always inspire me. 

I loved riding as a kid and as soon as I hit onederland I'm buying a horse.  That's my ultimate NSV/life victory.  I can't wait to go riding every weekend. 

" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
kaydemo
on 8/20/11 3:24 am - TX
That's awesome!! What an encouragement! Congrats on your success!!
percheron
on 8/20/11 5:26 am
This is beyond awesome and wonderful and inspiring and everything else good!!  We have 6 gorgeous horses that we have began to call pasture pets because our kids have all grown and moved or don't ride anymore.  They are such beautiful animals and I have said over and over I want to ride so bad or go for  a buggy ride.  Well your sharing has given me hope.  We have large horses and we have small ones so one of my new goals is to be able to ride one in a year or so from now.  My surgery is the 30th and my goals are building!  Thanks again for sharing!! 
CoolBeans
on 8/20/11 6:16 am - MD
 Thank you for sharing this! I love reading how people are really jumping in and living life again after the surgery. There is no doubt that it is inspiring to those of us just starting out. 
 Cari    
DebbieL.
on 8/20/11 7:15 am - OK
Awesome!  You are such an inspiration to me.  I have the same problems with arthritis and bad knees.  Keep up the great work!
skinimini
on 8/20/11 8:41 am
There are no better NSVs than being able to get part of your life back! I had tears, reading about you going hiking without the cane! That is so wonderful! Think of how much easier you will recover from your knee replacements, also, with less weight to carry around! I am so happy for you!

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

walmartian
on 8/21/11 12:52 am

Yay for you! I'm curious--which NP? I know you were thrilled!
I had horses up until about 10 years ago, and used to do horse shows, trail rides etc and rode at least 3-4hours every day. I don't want to get that involved again, but I am looking forward to losing enough weight that I might be able to ask around and find someone with a horse that needs exercised. Ive been embarrassed to even ask because of my weight. And there are a few places that have 'advanced' rides offering faster, more adventurous rides that I have my eye on. Hopefully by the time it gets cool enough for it to be fun here, I'll be 'legal' weight for those. :)

BriarRose
on 8/21/11 4:58 pm
Yosemite National Park !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 221 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 302 views