Crock Pot Cooking

Maggie71
on 8/27/11 9:30 am - MI
My nutritionist said to cook my meat so its soft and suggested a Crock Pot.
So far its okay..  Does anyone use a crock pot and have some good receipes to share?

maggie

TheBiscuit
on 8/27/11 9:38 am - TX
I just did this two days ago, actually! I haven't had surgery yet but I'm experimenting with things now so it's easier later. Always use chicken with the bone on. It comes out jucier and softer. It's harder to weigh, obviously, but just be handy at carving it off the bone with a sharp knife and you'll be good to go!

I prepared mine with pico de gallo. Low sodium and it really soaks into the chicken.

Make sure you remove the skin and trim all the fat off the chicken! I used a whole chicken, cut up into sections.

Put 1.4 cups of salsa/pico in the bottom of the crock pot. Add 1 cup of water to dilute (if you use salsa, helps to dilute the sodium)

Place the chicken pieces atop the soupy stuff, cover and cook on the low setting for 3.5 hours. Comes out done and soft! You can spoon so fresh pico ontop of it or add a little low fat mexican mixed cheese if you're good on calories for the day.
Maggie71
on 8/27/11 11:08 pm - MI
Thanks so much.  I followed a receipe that said 7 hours and I think it just dried the chicken out.
Your sounds like it might be just great.  Thanks Again.

maggie

Lori B.
on 8/27/11 9:44 am
The easiest one I have is to get a fryer chicken...wa**** down and dry. I rub it down with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put it in the crock pot on low for 8 hours or until the thingy pops out....no liduid needed. The meat is so damn tender it's amazing!

After you can add some water, a bay leaf, some onion and more garlic powder to the bones and set it over night for 10 hours and voila, you now have chicken stock for soup. It's really easy.

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
Maggie71
on 8/27/11 11:10 pm - MI
Thanks so much.  No liquid and tender so I am anxious to try it.

maggie

Hislady
on 8/27/11 11:18 am - Vancouver, WA
A pressure cooker makes it even more tender and the new ones aren't as scary as our mom's old fashioned ones!
Faye56
on 8/27/11 12:25 pm
VSG on 07/19/11 with
I have an email at work that I have saved and it has tons recipes of all kinds for the crock pot. If you want to message me with your email address I will forward them to you Monday.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

jennyfur76
on 8/27/11 12:30 pm - OH
VSG on 06/21/11 with
We love to do "Coke" roasts.  Put in either a pork or beef roast, spread over a can of Cream of Whatever Soup (chicken, mushroom, celery etc), spread around cut-up taters & baby carrots, then pour one can of Coke (I use diet coke or diet root beer) over the whole mess. It gives the meat a real tender, sweet taste! Yummo!!

My mom also does pork, sauerkraut & taters. I haven't had it since surgery, but the kraut usually makes the pork REAL tender. Not sure how my tiny tummy will handle kraut yet! LOL

Maggie71
on 8/27/11 11:15 pm - MI
Thanks so much.  I have heard of the coke receipe from a friend, but I thought she was kidding. I will try this one soon.  Thanks Again.

maggie

Crssybear
on 8/27/11 3:29 pm - TX
My favorite is Shredded Chicken.  It is super moist and it has so much liquid in the end you can make it into a soup if you wanted.  We cook this at least 2x's a month.  It makes alot and since it is just my husband and I, we have alot of leftovers. 

Recipe:

2 Frozen Chicken Breast
1/2 Onion chopped
1 can Rotel (tomatoes w/chiles)
1 can diced green chiles
3 cups water (or just until chicken is covered)
3 low sodium chicken boullion cubes
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped...we love garlic

You can use any seasonings you want.  I eyeball it but I use Salt, Pepper, Cumin and Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime.  Pile it all in the crockpot, frozen chicken and all.  Put it on High for 4 hours, take chicken out with tongs and shred with fork.  It will be super tender.  Then put it back in there for another half an hour or so.  I'm 6 1/2 weeks out so I just measure an ounce out and eat it with shredded cheese and plain greek yogurt on top(in place of sour cream).  Sometimes I'll even eat it with avocado.  It's really good and has alot of flavor. 

5'1"  28
HW:247 SW:235 GW:125
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 250 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 318 views