Bemoaning mushies

Miss_eye
on 9/22/11 6:36 am, edited 9/22/11 6:39 am - CA
Please forgive my whine, but it has gotten to that point. I can't hold it in any longer. I have tried everything, from mashed potatoes to tuna salad, from re-fried beans to yams, cottage cheese, kefir, ricotta and yogurt, and I am so sick of this. I'm tired of bland foods and that now icky texture. Ugh. Everything is so gross. Especially protein. Don't get me started on protein, it either makes me gag outright, or makes me gag when I have it again a day later. I never ever want to drink protein or eat anything mushy again.

I know some people are stuck on liquid part and have it a lot worse than me. But this is the first time I have really whined since I joined this board, hopefully it will be the only post like this. And once again, I'm sorry.

I'm trying to think outside of the box, but I don't know. Can I have spicy tuna, or any other kind of spicy fish salad at a Japanese restaurant? Noodles made from mung beans? Pork broth (I'm sick of chicken, beef and vegetable)? Miso soup (w/o seaweed)? Matzo ball soup? The list my surgeon and nut gave me did not have a lot on it.

Did anyone have mushy foods that are different than what most people recommend? I keep getting told the same things over and over, ad so far they are not doing it for me. Help a girl out.

Paige V.
on 9/22/11 6:46 am - Gainesville, FL
how far out are you? I would avoid the noodles and mashed potatoes..carb overload.

I would think those soups are okay. I am still in the liquid phase and I have cream soups that I run through the food processor first to get all lumps out.

How much longer do you have? I have two weeks left on liquids and I am honestly HUNGRY, sucks big time! 

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Miss_eye
on 9/22/11 7:01 am - CA
Ha! Yes, I thought mashed potatoes etc had too many carbs, but when I talked to my surgeon last Thursday, he said I should have more carbs (he mentioned mashed potatoes) and not just protien. My reaction went from this: to this:. Hell, I wasn't going to argue with the guy. My nut also said I can do it, but "not for every meal."

jennay80
on 9/22/11 9:03 am - Elmore, OH
 I had my sleeve on the 12th, so two weeks post op come Monday, and can't wait to see if I can be on scrambled eggs, fingers are crossed tightly...  I am sick of the yogurt, cream of wheat, cream of soups, etc.  They told me no mashed potatoes but didn't say why...  Each doc is different.  Hang in there, I am right next to ya!

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/22/11 6:47 am
Been there, done that.  Luckily I only had pureed foods for 2 weeks, but after liquids-only, pureed foods tasted like heaven for a few days!   How much longer do you have to go before your next stage of foods?

Spicy foods can irritate a healing tummy; they didn't bother mine, but I got so thirsty afterward (and of course couldn't drink for 60 minutes) that I've had to avoid them.  Bummer.

Here's my mushies list: 
chicken salad (canned chicken is softer) made with different kinds of mix-ins
tuna salad
egg salad
scrambled eggs
refried beans (FF) with melted cheese
cottage cheese
ricotta cheese
cream soups with protein powder added to them
greek yogurt
sf applesauce
sf popsicles

I experimented with adding different spices to things (such as pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, italian seasoning, ranch seasoning, cajun seasoning, etc).  I also added splenda and extracts to things for flavor (such as coconut, lemon, etc).

No other words of wisdom.  This too shall pass.  Hang tough, girlie!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Miss_eye
on 9/22/11 7:09 am - CA
I'm toward the end of week three. Week three and four are supposed to be mushy foods. After that, I graduate to chopped. I. Can't. Wait.

So far, along with the items listed in the original topic, I've had the chicken salad, egg salad and scrambled eggs.

I think part of my problem is that at this point, I am so sensitive to sweet foods that even sugar free things are repulsive to me. Protien shakes, being sweet, are just gross. And I hear that "unflavored" protien is still flavored. Have not tried it yet, but do you agree?

Robin W.
on 9/22/11 6:49 am - Severn, MD
I'd say go for it. Keep in mind I'm a new sleever, but I can feel the agony in your post. I think you know by now what not to put in your sleeve just yet, and none of the things you mentioned (except the spicy fish salad-sounds nasty)sound like they are going to do any damage. Especially given the fact that you are past that 3 week mark. I would put a call in to your doc or NUT just to be on the safe side. Wishing you happy eating, and most of all...Peace of Mind.

Robin    
Paige V.
on 9/22/11 6:54 am - Gainesville, FL
I also loved canned chicken with ranch mixed in pre-op as a snack. Of course, back then I loved it on crackers lol

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Happy966
on 9/22/11 7:52 am

Unflavored protein means they haven't added any flavor to it.  It has a flavor, yes, but it's not sweet at all and I think it blends in well to any food you'd expect to have milk in it (whey is a milk product).  I wouldn't put it in something you wouldn't put milk in, because the whey flavor will stand out.

I always mention the Unjury chicken soup flavor because although it is high in sodium, it is quite good IMHO.  Savory, not sweet.

My favorite purees were homemade food, whizzed up: Cuban black beans, mushroom soup, chicken soup.  Spicy doesn't bother my tummy at all, but too much fat does.  I've whizzed up a little bit of ground lamb with baba ghanoush and Greek yogurt - that was kind of rich and I only could eat a little.  I have been out to eat several times because of work and family - I had a great red miso soup at a Japanese restaurant (only ate the broth).  Also did the broth-only of hot and sour soup at PF Changs (I checked the menu online and it was pretty low-cal). 

Something I'd try too is cottage cheese, mixed with unflavored protein and going to the savory side.  Maybe a little bit of blue cheese and wing sauce?  How about a curried chicken salad - throw in a few raisins into the blender - or lime-cilantro chicken salad?  I also like the Starkist Tuna Creations - mix with a little low-fat mayo or broth (sweet and spicy is my favorite).  I also had a nice tomato-red pepper soup in a box that I cut with vegetable broth 50:50 - I added unflavored protein and a bit of hot sauce.  Some people have trouble with tomatos though.

Hope this helps.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

carrierae
on 9/22/11 8:34 am - WA
This is so depressing. On my plan weeks 1 & 2 are liquid...weeks 3 thru 8 are puree. 9-12 are soft food. I am not a very creative person.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views