shopping list help!!!!! and what to take to hospital?!

jessicae
on 9/26/11 3:08 am
oh wow.  surgery is thursday.  I have a few things left that I have to get but was wondering if there were some tricks of the trade i'm forgetting about.  here's what i'm getting:

sugar free popsicls/broth/propel for clear liquid days
centrum chewables and b-12 (already have calcium)
flushable wipes for the good old intestinal issues i'm sure i'll have
for full liquids i'll send my husband/parents out to store for me if i can't go

already have a food scale, anything else i'll need for the first few weeks? 

for hospital i'm packing: 
a hair tye (i can't stand to have my hair down)
a magazine
a pillow from home
cell phone and charger
binder of info from surgeon

anything else i'm forgetting or that's good to have? 

thanks guys!

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Jennifer S.
on 9/26/11 3:19 am
I could not have survived without chapstick.  I felt like someone sandblasted my lips!  If you don't want to wear the hospital's grippy socks, you may want some slippers to wear on your walks.

Best of luck to you!

Jennifer

Jennchap
on 9/26/11 3:26 am - CA
 I second the chopstick… take loose pjs to walk the halls in so your hot ass is not hanging out of that sexy gown
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

atomic_bettie
on 9/26/11 3:41 am - OK
Chapstick is a recurring theme!  Seriously, take some with you!  I would also add your own pillows for your room.  I'm a pillow person and the hospital's pillows sucked.  Oh, and your own no slip socks :).  Good luck on your surgery!! :)
Visit my WLS blog:  themisfitscarlett.blogspot.com                                    
amanda D.
on 9/26/11 3:45 am - Stayton, OR
dont forget the house shoes.  Those hospital socks SUCK!!!  I agree on the chapstick. 

I personally over packed, but then again i was going 5 hours away from my home and having to stay a whole week.  Most of the things I took I didn't even use.  I jus****ched TV in and out of sleeping.

As for after surgery I also have the flushable wipes, SF popsicles, SF Pudding, a case of arrowhead bottled water 16.9oz bottles, blueberry/grape walmart brand crystal lite.  I wasnt able to take any of my vitamins until yesterday.  And had to find a protein drink that didnt make me want to puke.

I also got this blender thing, kind of like the magic bullet from Walmart for pureeing my food

Good luck on your surgery
~Amanda

CindyLyn
on 9/26/11 4:01 am - Evadale, TX
I would have been miserible without my chapstick... Also, thank God my  husband packed this... Saline spray.  My nose got so dry and stuffy from the oxygen.  The saline spray saved me from be miseribly stuffy the whole time.  I hope you have a pain free speedy recovery.  Can't wait to see you on the losers bench!! 

Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.  August 16, 2011

Simplyme83
on 9/26/11 4:16 am
 Thanks for asking this question. I have surgery on Wednesday and was getting ready to pack and run to the store for last minute things. Best wishes! See you on the losers bench! 
 ~ Simplyme83~          
Eleanor_M
on 9/26/11 4:43 am - Overland Park, KS
I didn't take much to the hospital, only clean underwear, a toothbrush and my CPAP, since I was being sent home the next afternoon.  

What mattered most was what was ready after I got home.  Just being home felt great.  But I had stocked up on beef and chicken stock, SF popsicles, SF jello.  I already had the protein powder. The chicken stock (not broth) was really comforting.  It's probably like eating chicken noodle soup when you have a cold.

Since my surgery, I find that I have lost my tast for sweet stuff, so I prefer the unflavored meal replacement powder in plain skim milk.  Buy the best tasting skim milk that you can.  My family noticed that there can be a big difference in the way skim milk from different companies/stores tastes.  We prefer the 365 Organic brand from Whole Foods.  I know it may be more expansive.  But, I'm not eating much at all now, so the expense doesn't really matter.

Mr-Smith
on 9/26/11 4:53 am - Hillsdale, MI
I took my netbook with my latest shows queued up in Itunes so I could watch them anytime i was actully awake.  Turns out the hospital had a wifi netowrk I coudl attach to as well.

kimbethin
on 9/26/11 6:44 am - CA
You list is great. Like our friends said chapstick and your favorite lotion.  Hospitals are so dry!  Also slippers and I took a belted bathrobe to throw on for walks.  Put my free arm in the sleeve and just hung the other side over my shoulder and belted it.  I had surgery at the hospital where i work and thought I would care about how I looked but I really didn't.  You may want to pack some sugar free hard candies, but post op is all about walking and sipping.  Good luck!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 262 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views