I have to go into surgery by myself..SCARED..

Arianasmama
on 9/29/11 2:16 am - Beverly Hills, CA
I took the train down to San Diego the day of my pre-op and stayed at the hotel next to the hospital.  The morning of surgery I walked over, checked in and was just fine.  The staff at Scripps Medical is top notch and beyond compare.  Once you are out of surgery there will be three people assigned to you and everytime you sneeze, there will be someone there to wipe your nose...lol. 

Really, you will be just fine and you will want the time to rest and not have to try to hold a conversation with anyone.  Put on your big undies (for the last time) and I will move over on the losers bench and make room for you. 

Be encouraged!
Be Blessed            
91Annie15
on 9/29/11 2:18 am - CA
 I went in alone, too.  I was a little scare, despite myself.  But my surgical nurse was real nice and Scrubs-like funny (if you've ever seen the show).  =)  The anesthesiologist was very kind and confident.  It goes really quick.  They put the mask on me and I was out!  lol  I asked the nurse to have the surgeon call my mother afterward and asked him directly when he popped in.  He did call and was kind and professional.

If your sister plans to bring the kids to see you, I would suggest waiting until the next evening.  Walk, walk, walk and you'll feel (and look) good.  =)  You'll be fine, Sweetheart.  We're all pulling for you!

-AA   
tripmom02
on 9/29/11 2:19 am - NJ
 I did, my husband had to stay home and watch the kids and my mom had to work, so mom took me to the hospital in the morning and dropped me off and then went to work. I brought my Ipod and just sat back while they prepped me, then took a nap until it was time to go. Once they rolled me into the staging area I started to freak out a bit, but told the anesthesiologist and he gave me something to calm me down and I don't remember another thing until I woke up in recovery. 

Good luck!

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

precious_diamond38
on 9/29/11 2:20 am - VA
I havent asked anyone to be there with me except my honey.. but he has to drop the lil one off to the daycare and i am not sure what time my surgery is? So i may end up alone too...
ACASHMAMA
on 9/29/11 2:34 am
Hey I live in San Diego and I am getting sleeved a few days after you. I can go with you or be there for support if you need it Message me.

BTW - my MIL lives in Moreno Valley - small world.

-Jodie

watchmenow
on 9/29/11 2:38 am

I agree.  The hospital staff will take good care of you. 

I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

yellomodelchick06
on 9/29/11 3:01 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Thanks Arianas mama!! So encouraging... Hey ACH So may be I will hook up with you! Like I said I am a big baby! It is a small world!
Lisa J.
on 9/29/11 4:03 am - OK
Isn't this message board amazing!? All you have to do is ask--look at you with all your new friends helping support you. AWESOME.

I drove myself to surgery, WANTED to be alone, plus didn't want to bug someone and knew it wouldn't be any fun for them. I had the perfect amount of stimulation (TV and iPhone) that I wanted, and between short naps and walking/sipping, there wasn't any need for anyone else to be there. They don't want you being bedridden anyway so other people just get in the way.

You've had children so you're probably not as big a baby as you think you are! I compared my abdomen and stomach area after surgery as feeling much like the after effects of puking with the flu for several days (or getting kicked in the stomach by a horse ). Sore and uncomfortable but certainly doable. On a pain scale perhaps a 6/7 out of 10. Not gonna die but know that it gets better day by day and even though you might feel like your guts are sloshing around waiting to spill out, they won't!

TAKE A PILLOW WITH YOU! It helps to hold it against your tummy and especially if you're driving back yourself, you'll want it. It's comforting. But I'm sure you're be fine, you're young and strong. And you're no baby. You can do this!

CONGRATS FOR CHANGING YOUR LIFE!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
ACASHMAMA
on 9/29/11 3:14 am
Your not being a baby - this is big ****! Ill msg you my number and feel free to call or text me.

Ding-E-Girl
on 9/29/11 4:15 am - MS
     Im a BIG BABY also and hate doing stuff like this alone.    But I am going to do this by myself because I am not telling anybody Im getting it done !!      I have been a lil worried about doing it alone but I know it wiill all work out in the end.      You always have us to talk to as your waiting for them to roll u back !!     Good luck !     
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views