Does applying lotion make you body absorb fat?

viola_120
on 9/29/11 9:43 pm - FL
I was at a support meeting Tuesday and the group leader said using body lotion slows down your weight loss because your body is absorbing the fat from the lotion.  Has anyone heard of this?  Is it true?  Is there any scientific data to back this up?  She suggested using baby oil instead.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
watchmenow
on 9/29/11 10:04 pm
Never heard of that!!! If that were true, I am in trouble! I would be incredibly "ashy" without lotion and I'd rather be fat than ashy! (How's my morning humor?)  On a serious note, I have read that using a loofah helps the pores stay clean and release toxins to aide in losing weight.  I really wish people would watch what they say. Suggesting that using lotion has contributed to my excess weight is ridiculous.  I know  PLENTY of skinny people who use lotion.  To think, all this time all I had to do was stop using lotion!!! 

I pray my humor is not offensive to you.
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 10:13 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
*On a serious note, I have read that using a loofah helps the pores stay clean and release toxins to aide in losing weight.  I really wish people would watch what they say. *

Are you really being serious or are you still being a morning joker - because suggesting that most of us are fat because of toxins and that using a loofa is going to help to release them and help us get/stay slim is kind of along the same sort of snake oil lines is not it?

Could be that I am out of sweetner and only had 1 coffee and am not understanding as well as I should or could! 

viola_120
on 9/30/11 1:33 am - FL
I hate rough skin!! And ashy!!! ugh!!! I'm with you!!
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
doggz109
on 9/29/11 10:12 pm, edited 9/29/11 10:13 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Your group leader is an obvious HCG tard.  That is something that they preach with that crazy diet.

There has been one study done that said chemicals found in certain cosmetics, lotions, and shampoots can affect your hormones.  However the study was flawed....all it showed was that overweight people had higher levels of these chemicals....but did not show where they came from.

It's like someone claiming:  There are higher levels of caffeine found in overweight adults.  Therefore....coffee causes people to gain weight.

Not exactly causation being found there.

Anyways.....it is un proven at best and psuedoscience at worst.  Your group leader is still wrong....your body does not gain weight from lotion....your skin absorbs it.  Totally different than dietary fat.

EDIT:  One of the best things for your skin is coconut oil.  That is 100% pure fat and great for you.
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 10:14 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Dude!  Your logic is the suxxx!! 

Everyone in 1901 who EVER ate a pickle is dead!  PICKLES KILL!!!  
viola_120
on 9/30/11 1:28 am - FL
I love Coconut oil lotion--I use it everyday--even after the meeting!!!!  I kept making jokes about it at the meeting after she mentioned it!!!  I found it to be highly amusing to say the least!!
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
USAF Wife
on 9/29/11 10:14 pm
That is ABSURD. Sorry, I almost rolled my big pregnant ass out of my recliner on that one. What's the difference between baby OIL vs. say Vitamin E oil that is found in lotions. Fats are essential in the weight loss process especially when we low carb it. But, stalling because of lotion application, OH that is the best thing I've heard recently. Eating healthy fats actually promotes healthy skin and hair. Just look at the benefit of fish oil, and Omega 3s on our bodies along with all the wondermous things it does for our overall health.

It's not like the stuff in most lotions even break the blood barrier for absorption to effect your weight loss. There's a few chemicals that do seep in, but you'd have to literally lay in a pool of that crap for days on end for it to do anything your body.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

viola_120
on 9/30/11 1:29 am - FL
As little as we eat, a little smooth skin over our sagging dimpling legs is essential!!!  She suggested I stop using the lotion and see if my weight loss improves.  I don't know, 2 lbs a week weight loss works for me and I get to keep my soft skin.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 10:16 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I blew a big ol allergic booger bubble out of my nose at that.  I probably would have done it at your meeting too.

Does she lead all your meetings?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views